PDA

View Full Version : Elk Questions

fortyseven
11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
OK, so a brief background on why it has come to this. I am about to commit the worst crime on the Hunting forum. I'm going to ask where to go and hunt to fill my Elk tag.

Now here's what brought me to this point.
I've had a pretty bad run of luck this year. Money is tight, and due to visa issues I haven't been able to work for the last 6 months, so the missus has pretty much been supporting me completely. We're both meat eaters, and meat lovers, but beef is expensive, so I've started to hunt. I was out last weekend with a buddy from the forum, and we bagged a WT doe on his tag, gutted, skinned and butchered it ourselves. Considering we had both never done that before, it was a great accomplishment for both of us.

I have a WT tag and an Elk tag that I'm wanting to fill. I have a spot for WT, so I'm not too worried there, but here's the thing. I want to fill the Elk tag. It's not just for fun, it's not just for extra meat. I'll get a new work visa soon, and I'll be back to work. But money will be tight while we pay off a lot of debt that has piled up, and having a deer and an elk in the freezer would save us hundreds of dollars in meat, and make getting back on our feet a whole lot easier.
I'm not asking for exactly where to find Elk, I don't need to know what road, or what patch of land exactly to hunt in. All I'm asking is which WMU, and possibly which end in it (West, East, Middle, etc)
It took a lot of convincing to get the missus to agree on me hunting. The money that went into tags could've been spent elsewhere, so coming home and filling those tags will not only give us a lot of meat to get us through getting back on top financially, but I'll get to come home with some pride that I'm bringing food home to my table. And pride and success is something I haven't had a lot of this year, so please consider helping me out.

Just tell me a good WMU for me to hunt, I'm not a road-hunting type, I get out there and put footwork in. PM me if for whatever reason you'd rather not broadcast a good WMU on this thread. Thanks in advance, and good, safe hunting out there everyone.

I really didn't want to have to post this, but I'm worried the season will end and I'll have very little to show for it.

I'd also like to take a moment to personally thank Lefty Canuck for sharing some meat with us earlier this year. It's more appreciated than you'll ever know, and really helped us out when we were stressing about paying bills, eating. The strain that puts on a relationship isn't something I wish on anyone.

EDIT: Sorry for the boo hoo thread, it's just been tough, and heading outdoors is pretty much the only thing that gets my head back on track.

Drewski Canuck
11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Honestly, the 100's of dollars you will spend on gas, camping equipment, motels, broken equipment, etc, etc, etc, makes beef tenderloin look cheap.

Now if you simply want to go out for an adventure, start around Valleyview area, both north and south.

I quit lying to myself and my loved ones about the economics of hunting long ago. I justify it as my reward for not smoking, drinking, gambling, driving fast cars, etc. Come to think of it, my hunting habit has taken any money I may have had for other vices in the first place???!!!

Drewski

Lefty-Canuck
11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Glad to help you out with the meat 47!

In regards to the elk. They are likely the toughest animal to get on a general tag. I would go through the regs and choose a zone that has a 3 point minimum not a 6 point minimum zone.

I actually saw 5 elk this morning while hunting....crossed the road in front of us, none were legal (cows and a spiker).

Then 10mins later I saw a great legal bull....but on private land, and I have a draw elsewhere.

You are better off picking up supplemental tags and shooting 2 WT does on those.....the time, effort, and money you need to commit to elk hunting will leave you disappointed...

LC

Grizzly Adams
11-05-2012, 04:48 PM
You need meat? Better off to get a Whitetail tag. Rats with horns, my buddy calls them. :D If things are that bad, might consider the food bank.

Grizz

elkhunter11
11-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Honestly, the 100's of dollars you will spend on gas, camping equipment, motels, broken equipment, etc, etc, etc, makes beef tenderloin look cheap.

+1 The cost of fuel, alone will buy a lot of beef.

fortyseven
11-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Any way I can swap my Elk license in for a supplemental WT? :D

wildcat111
11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
elk are very smart animals, i would pick up a couple wt supplemental tags there cheap , and the does are easy to shoot.

bulletman
11-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Elk hunting is pretty tough, outside of the rut anyway. Early reports on the Blackfoot season would be a good example. Only 6 elk so far! Beef is much cheaper, at least as far as I can tell!

Lefty-Canuck
11-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Any way I can swap my Elk license in for a supplemental WT? :D

I think 2 supplemental tags will run you about 18-20 bucks.

I have likely spent $1000-1500 on fuel this year alone between bow season and right now....and that is just going to and from my hunting areas....I don't "road hunt" and I don"t quad "much". Average walking 10-20 miles per day of hunting and have hunted about 19 full days so far this year. A lot of time and effort goes into hunting, I have harvested a mule deer and a moose so far....if I was to calculate the cost and time involved for those 2 animals....I could have bought enough prime rib to last a year.

....But that doesn't factor into my passion for hunting and the outdoors :)

Good luck in your quest for meat 47....no guarantees but if you find yourself in a bind down the road, I will see if I can get a care package together for you and your lady again. I am happy to share with those who appreciate it.

LC

Okotokian
11-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Relax 47. Don't be so nervous. You aren't committing any crime. LOL Asking what WMU isn't the same as asking for exact coordinates and the names of the landowners you have cultivated over the years. Having never hunted north of Calgary, however, I doubt I can be of much help to you unless you want to drive a fair bit. Sorry. And good luck!

fortyseven
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Good luck in your quest for meat 47....no guarantees but if you find yourself in a bind down the road, I will see if I can get a care package together for you and your lady again. I am happy to share with those who appreciate it.
LC

A King among men.

Thanks for all the advice. I've spoken to the AlbertaRELM, and will be giving a call to F&W tomorrow to beg a refund on my elk license, and I'll get two supplemental WT tags.

Dan Boone
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
We figured it out this year. With the scouting trip, the driving up and back 7 hrs, gas, food, lodging, butchering etc.
It worked out to about $27 a pound. Not counting wear and tear on vehicles, and labor! Lol. Im sure beef is substantially lower.

Like stated before, the supplemental tags are the way to go.
Also if interested, if i harvest a deer this season. U are welcome to all the meat. I will even deliver within reason.

338Bluff
11-05-2012, 05:27 PM
A King among men.

Thanks for all the advice. I've spoken to the AlbertaRELM, and will be giving a call to F&W tomorrow to beg a refund on my elk license, and I'll get two supplemental WT tags.

Here's the thing...I doubt you will be able to return/refund the elk tag. Even if they did, most of the supplemental doe tags are out west or north. There is only one zone in the 200 series that allows harvest with these tags.

You know what will happen? Standing on the first cutline you cross will be a big old bull elk and you will be standing there with a couple of baldy tags in your pocket. LOL

It's only another $18 bucks. Hold onto that elk tag

elkhunter11
11-05-2012, 05:32 PM

You can't be serious about expecting a refund for your elk license.:snapoutofit:

If F&W were to give you a refund, they would have every hunter that has an unfilled tag asking for a refund.:rolleye2:

Rocky7
11-05-2012, 05:34 PM
You are better off picking up supplemental tags and shooting 2 WT does on those.....the time, effort, and money you need to commit to elk hunting will leave you disappointed...

LC

That's a fact, OP.

Elk aren't easy. I don't know anybody who didn't spend way more money to put elk in the freezer than he'd have spent at Safeway buying meat..........me included....in spades. (unless maybe you have a cow tag, which you don't.)

70chevy
11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
That's a fact, OP.

Elk aren't easy. I don't know anybody who didn't spend way more money to put elk in the freezer than he'd have spent at Safeway buying meat..........me included....in spades. (unless maybe you have a cow tag, which you don't.)

x2