PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert Trip pics

Fishnafterwork
11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
hey everyone....well i just finished a stupid long stint in red deer and finally back home ...with an actual computer :sHa_shakeshout: ...so I'm trying out this photobucket and gonna try to get some pics of the trip up. This was an early August trip and....it was....eventful....and bittersweet.....lets just say I'm hooked! Lots of fish came home and full freezers all round:)

I'd like to add if anyone has ANY pictures of ...well really anything feel free to join in and throw them up here

I love the look of these overgrown piers...flowers and foliage growing all over it
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/fishy/rupertandkids228.jpg

Early morning view from the bay we slept in...
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/fishy/rupertandkids206.jpg

Looking out at the fishing grounds mid-day from the bay...
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/fishy/rupertandkids188.jpg

It appears I like birds.....foggy day
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/fishy/rupertandkids187.jpg

The buildings in town have some amazing art work...this is the motel
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/fishy/rupertandkids059.jpg

And this is the auto shop...I really wanted to go up to that door...haha
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/fishy/rupertandkids232.jpg

once again birds...haha...this is bob.....bob ate well:)
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/rupertandkids178.jpg

and my favorite sunset ever...anyone who has taken a wicked sunset knows a picture doesn't do it justice...but I'll probably blow it up on canvas anyways...
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/fishy/rupertandkids204-1.jpg

BobLoblaw
11-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Great pics; I really liked the first & last.:)

stickflicker
11-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Great pictures, the last especially!:sSig_nicethread:

wetchimo
11-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Wow, great pics makes me miss the coast.

Brandonkop
11-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Nice pics... on the sunset great clarity. Which camera are you using.

You should just bump the contrast and tint... maybe add some warmth to get back the brighter colors that are lost in the low light before you blow it up on canvas. Love the black forest reflections!

Brandon

Fishnafterwork
11-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Nice pics... on the sunset great clarity. Which camera are you using.

You should just bump the contrast and tint... maybe add some warmth to get back the brighter colors that are lost in the low light before you blow it up on canvas. Love the black forest reflections!

Brandon

Sounds like u know quite a bit more than I do....haha....I've got a great camera but the guy behind it is very amature! I'm using a Sony Alpha and during that sunset I knew it was something amazing, so I took the same picture on all 7 settings the camera has.haha...I'll check if there might be a better one as I just threw the first one I spotted up....how do i bump contrast and tint?.....and I guess I should try and get some fish on there too...:)

newell
11-05-2012, 10:50 PM
How did you fish
Day tripping and hotels or did you try a lodge in the area?

Fishnafterwork
11-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Day 1 (half day)
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/rupertandkids087.jpg

Day 2
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/rupertandkids115.jpg

Day 3 (morning)
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/rupertandkids141.jpg

Day 3 (afternoon)
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/rupertandkids198.jpg

Day 4 (half day)
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/rupertandkids215.jpg

Best ling of the trip
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/rupertandkids154.jpg

best salmon.....well in the boat...like i said bittersweet....all fish we worked dang hard for and we used the whole 100 yrds of mono the guide had to its full potential...........:thinking-006:
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/fishnafterwork/rupertandkids217-1.jpg

and yes I'm sticking that sucker way out

sully
11-06-2012, 09:20 AM
nice pics and posts. Some of the best fishing to be had is in Rupert. How was the guide? First time with him or have you been with before?

Fishnafterwork
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
nice pics and posts. Some of the best fishing to be had is in Rupert. How was the guide? First time with him or have you been with before?

The guide..... Well ...it was a four day trip on the guides boat and we slept on a bigger boat (yauht) anchored in a quiet bay. I hate to bring negativity into a great time but.... The guide was a cheapskate..... Before the trip I left the 8 flashers I had just bought at the fishing store in the truck... Big mistake... The guide only had 4 flashers in total.... Also we lost countless huge salmon ... All the big salmon were lost due to being spooled.. Any fish over 20# would take off... Out of the 3 rods we were running the reel with the most line on it was maybe 100 yards ... With no other line on either boat for us to re-spool the guides gear.... The guides winch also did not work for his anchor.... So basically we were given the option of going for halibut as long as we were prepared to hand haul the anchor 200 feet....Like I said before we worked very hard for all the fish we caught

I hate being negative about a fishing trip I loved in so many different way but since u asked...
qa
Do not go on a charter in Rupert with any guide who's name is close to cheapsake charters.... I would suggest checking out the AO sponsor here...
I didn't introduce myself and now wish I had but I did see Jaimie at dolly fish market when we where getting our fish packaged... And if u can judge a book by its cover I would say his operation is first class...

But for me.. my father in law just purchased a '94 Boston whaler .... So next year is us on our own:).... It's a good thing I was running my gps the whole trip..:)... & with the whaler we are expecting to be able to fish the kelp better

Next years trips will be even better... I love Rupert.... But also very interested in a place called.. Winter :sHa_shakeshout:

Walleyes
11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Awesome stuff bud,, love the pics..

Looks like you guys had a heck of a trip.

Jamie
11-06-2012, 12:40 PM
The guide..... Well ...it was a four day trip on the guides boat and we slept on a bigger boat (yauht) anchored in a quiet bay. I hate to bring negativity into a great time but.... The guide was a cheapskate..... Before the trip I left the 8 flashers I had just bought at the fishing store in the truck... Big mistake... The guide only had 4 flashers in total.... Also we lost countless huge salmon ... All the big salmon were lost due to being spooled.. Any fish over 20# would take off... Out of the 3 rods we were running the reel with the most line on it was maybe 100 yards ... With no other line on either boat for us to re-spool the guides gear.... The guides winch also did not work for his anchor.... So basically we were given the option of going for halibut as long as we were prepared to hand haul the anchor 200 feet....Like I said before we worked very hard for all the fish we caught

I hate being negative about a fishing trip I loved in so many different way but since u asked...
qa
Do not go on a charter in Rupert with any guide who's name is close to cheapsake charters.... I would suggest checking out the AO sponsor here...
I didn't introduce myself and now wish I had but I did see Jaimie at dolly fish market when we where getting our fish packaged... And if u can judge a book by its cover I would say his operation is first class...

But for me.. my father in law just purchased a '94 Boston whaler .... So next year is us on our own:).... It's a good thing I was running my gps the whole trip..:)... & with the whaler we are expecting to be able to fish the kelp better

Next years trips will be even better... I love Rupert.... But also very interested in a place called.. Winter :sHa_shakeshout:

Fishn.. So sorry your trip was like that, I personally find it offensive.

No one that saves up for a trip of this magnitude should have to deal with that type of stuff.
We have a saying at Great Pacific...
We cant control the weather
We can't control the fish
We sure has heck can try and control everything else.

Guests want great equipment in top notch shape
Each boat goes out with 4 Islanders and a back up (Just in case!)
Each boat is equipped with a back up Down rigger (Still new in box)
All equipment is serviced 3-4 times per season and downriggers are totally ripped apart and refurbished 2 times per year.
Each boat has back up rods Specific to the type of Salmon we are looking for
Line is changed out at the beging of the season and further reduced down in weight once the cohos are so very prevalent.

As for gear, I think at last count we had over 50 flashers for 3 boats
All hooks are Gamakatsu
Extra Down rigging balls are on each boat
Loads of hoochies
No shortage of bait

The Boats.
Each one is meticulously maintained with boats being pulled the moment they hit 100 Hours.

Maintenance agreements.
Last year we had some serious bad luck with us blowing 2 Legs on 2 different engines in 6 days. (Thank god for warranty)
It took hours upon hours upon days to arraigned these things to be flown up/transferred around and installed, heck we were bribing people in Vancouver to take their own vehicles and pick up stuff for us.
In the end of it all, it cost one group of clients 3 hours on the water one morning and we made it up to them by doing some overtime later in the trip.
We have a standing deal with a maintenance shop in town that they will drop everything to look after our boats when we are in a pinch. I saw one leg being installed at 3:30 AM and back in the water by 5 AM. (On a Saturday night)
This winter has us in meetings with Yamaha to see that our service is even better than what we received last year.

It's not what happens to you, it's how you are able to react.

Glad to see you guys are still going to come out. We should talk.
I have a program that allows people to bring there own boats yet still enjoy the Lodge experience.

Last year it was a big hit with that demographic. They enjoyed all the meals, they had the freedom to follow our guides out in the morning, they talked with the guides at night to receive tips and tricks we even had a couple of groups use our guides on their boats. It helped with navigation, boating skills and overall fishing knowledge.
But what they liked the most was NOT having to pull their boat each night, instead they tied up to our docks jumped on a Golf cart and were having cocktails in 5 minutes.

It's to bad we didn't talk at Dolly's. I am there most nights due to the fact we try and arraigned for all our guests to have their fish professionally packed and in no way are they taking it in themselves.. They have better things to do like enjoy the deck while having appetizers and drinks. Your on a Fishing trip, I couldn't imagine having a guest schlep there fish up and down the docks and run it all the way to Dolly's. Next time that happens, feel free to punch me and come over for a bite to eat and a drink.

I love the attitude that despite it not being the best situation for you and your group, you managed to have a memorable time. It speaks loads for your positive attitude.

Lets talk soon and see if we can get you guys set up for a trip you will not soon forget.

BTW.. Thanks for pictures, now I have a MONSTER urge to get back out there. I think when a person sees that scenery on a daily basis you forget just how lucky you are to be there. Your photos reminded me once again why I love it there so much.

Take care
Jamie Hunt

crazyfish
11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Good to see you have a positive attitude , live and learn and be wiser from the experience ! Good to see you have a plan for next year and a great offer from Jamie ! I had a not great 1 st trip to the coast , but after a good chat found a great guide and will return every year , good luck and share again next year !

Jamie
11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Good to see you have a positive attitude , live and learn and be wiser from the experience ! Good to see you have a plan for next year and a great offer from Jamie ! I had a not great 1 st trip to the coast , but after a good chat found a great guide and will return every year , good luck and share again next year !

Crazy, where do you go?

Jamie

Sakoman
11-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Looks like you had a good trip, congrats.

Fishnafterwork
11-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey Jaimie....I was wondering if I'd get a response from ya...:)

I would definately be interested in finding out more about this program you speak of ...It sounds right up our alley!...We were contemplating camping for our trip....but....your lodge definately has more appeal! I didnt realize you offered that option....I'll have to find out your availability for next year. As we will be returning every year (well we will do our darndest).

Personally I woulda booked with you from the get go, but i didnt set it up so I just kinda went with the flow...but like I said, after seeing the setup you run there is no question in my mind...not that manning the downriggers (by hand making sure to watch the clutch carefully as to not lose the only cannon balls we had..haha) isn't...um....character building.....:thinking-006:

And for the record...I would never expect the top notch gear jaimie is running...as a matter of fact I dont think I would even let anyone else touch my islander...haha.....dont even look at it...just keep walking....
So the fact that he is running this gear is very impressive...the shimano moochers work but gimmie some line to work with...haha...

And I was gonna avoid this topic but I think I'll throw caution to the wind.
If you travel to go fishing and plan to buy gas there and back...$.
and you plan to buy snacks/food there and back....$.
and you plan on accomadations again there and back....$.
and you plan a charter or pay for your own boat and gear to hit water..$.
PLAN a TIP !!!!.....So appaling to see people boasting on and on about how great of a time they had and looking at all their fish for the freezer and publicly decide they will forego the tip.........BRUTAL!!!!....it's like telling a salesmans boss how good of a salesman he is after you declined the purchase!!....we gave a tip for the record...not what we planned to give but... Come on people!! These guy work dang hard for their money and they dont survive off your smiles alone...And to tip based on results is ludicrious to me...like jaimie said his quote is, they cant control the fish, and they can't control the weather but if they do their best to put you on fish do your best to show your appreciation!

newell
11-06-2012, 10:53 PM
I have not personally been to Jamies lodge but my uncle and my brother in law went this year and had very solid reviews for the whole operation. The option to bring you're own boat seems like a no brainer for a guy who does not wNt to stay in a motel and eat diner food for the duration of his trip. Plus if I had to guess I would say by the time you pay for that hotel and pay for restaurant food and pay for booze in a bar instead of enjoying drinks on the oceanfront deck. The cost difference is probably nothing to get offended about. Also my relatives that went all caught there tyee salmon on only a three day trip. There was a cousin that went as well

Jamie
11-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I have not personally been to Jamies lodge but my uncle and my brother in law went this year and had very solid reviews for the whole operation. The option to bring you're own boat seems like a no brainer for a guy who does not wNt to stay in a motel and eat diner food for the duration of his trip. Plus if I had to guess I would say by the time you pay for that hotel and pay for restaurant food and pay for booze in a bar instead of enjoying drinks on the oceanfront deck. The cost difference is probably nothing to get offended about. Also my relatives that went all caught there tyee salmon on only a three day trip. There was a cousin that went as well

Newell, always nice to hear positive feedback. I am not sure who your relatives are. Would you mind sending me a pm with your and their names?

As for your calculations, you are dead on. As well, you defiantly will not eat as well! People who stay with us see the value in staying on the Island with us.

You have to come this year.

Jamie

Brandonkop
11-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Sounds like u know quite a bit more than I do....haha....I've got a great camera but the guy behind it is very amature! I'm using a Sony Alpha and during that sunset I knew it was something amazing, so I took the same picture on all 7 settings the camera has.haha...I'll check if there might be a better one as I just threw the first one I spotted up....how do i bump contrast and tint?.....and I guess I should try and get some fish on there too...:)

It depends what operating system you have on your computer. I have a IBM with Microsoft 2010 and I just use the Windows Live Photogallery. I believe it is a free online download update if you have another version of windows. If you have a Mac I'm sure they have editing software on there. Just open pictures in the windows photogallery, go to the edit and you can adjust things really easily. Just remember once you advance your changes are saved. I think you can revert to original though if need be.

Or you can email me the file bkoperski@llu.edu and I'll edit it for you and repost it, and send you the edited file. It is really easy to do!

Brandon

Wild&Free
11-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

I'd hold that hog far out too. You can tell it's big by the rolls around your fingers.