PDA

View Full Version : Have this happen to you while you were hunting!

flygirrl
11-05-2012, 09:02 PM
The other eve I was hunting down my favorite cut trail, minding my own business , looking at tracks, rubs, grunting on my grunt tube. Just enjoying being out in the woods. I was thinking of the cougar encounter my friend told me from the night before. I happened to look down and saw what I thought were cougar tracks. So of course I started looking around. The trees above me were full of snow but melting quite a bit. I had just decided they were wolf tracks when all of a sudden a mound of snow came down through the trees and dropped onto my head. Well thinking of the cougar at the same time my reaction was quite funny. If anyone saw me they would have thought I was nuts. Had myself a good chuckle after but for one brief moment the thought was there.:sHa_sarcasticlol: now, if I could only meet up with that darn wolf, I know there is a big black one around as I have seen him lots, from my truck of course on my way to work. Thought this was good for a chuckle at my expense.:scared0015:

stickflicker
11-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Did you scream like a girl?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

flygirrl
11-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Did you scream like a girl?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Nope, only Jts1 screams like a girl, but I did dance..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Moosetalker
11-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Wolves, Bears and Cougars respond to a doe bleat give it a try next time:medium-smiley-035:

Gotta say the snow dropping would have made a few guys fill their pants :sEm_oops2: let alone squeeling like a girl.:sign0068:

newguy
11-05-2012, 09:26 PM
awesome stuff! i have scared myself half to death on too many occasions!

er wait, did i say that?

i have no idea what your talking about...

flygirrl
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Never tried a doe bleat, more of a grunter myself :sHa_shakeshout:but might try one. The doe bleats I seem to recall from years ago were green things with an elastic through it. Been a few years since I saw one.

flygirrl
11-05-2012, 09:30 PM
awesome stuff! i have scared myself half to death on too many occasions!

er wait, did i say that?

i have no idea what your talking about...

I almost think that's half the fun. The best is when your by yourself laughing your head off at what just happened.

waterninja
11-06-2012, 01:21 AM
i was standing still in some cover last evening for about an hour waiting for my bull elk to appear. i was totally zened in to any sound in the forest when this grouse suddenly landed about 3 feet behind me. pretty sure i did the same dance you did.

matathonman
11-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Personally I could care less if that is how I went. Quicker and better than cancer!
You'd bleed out fast and wouldn't feel a thing. Cancer takes you by the balls and issues pain all the way!
I'd rather die doing what I love to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The wife is always worried about predators. I do my best to ease her worries but it is what it is.If it comes down to it it's self prservation!!!
They're making a living too and your in their house.

Your snow story is funny as hell cause it happened to the wife this weekend. All the snow dropping was making her nervous as hell at first. lol

demolition101
11-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Grouse get me every time. They wait till you're 2' away then take off scaring the @$&! Out of me!

Redfrog
11-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Years ago on the coast, I was fishing a stream with a buddy. There were lots of cougars in the area and as we hiked from one pool to another down the game trail I talked about cougars and their many, many, many attacks on humans. My buddy was a perfect candidate for hypnosis as he could easily be manipulated into filling his mind with suggestions.

He was on the trail in front of me and was nearly saturated with talk of Cougar attacks. I knew he had reached this level when he kept saying 'can't you talk about something else?"

As we walked a long I picked up a stick about 18 inches long and tossed it into the limbs above the trail. He heard it just as the stick came down and hit his back pack. I yelled "CAT" at the same time. It took several minutes before I could stand. The sight of him shedding his pack leaping tall trees and running like a gazelle were more than my laugh drive could handle.:sHa_shakeshout:

Country_boy17
11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Was out Huntin with a few buddy's the other day, I was pushing brush and about half way through I heard a shot ring out at about 300 yards, I dropped and rolled like Rambo. Wish I could've see the look on my face... Was not expecting it at all! My buddy pulled out a nice little 5 pt whitetail buck! Deer steaks for me tonight !

nekred
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Years ago on the coast, I was fishing a stream with a buddy. There were lots of cougars in the area and as we hiked from one pool to another down the game trail I talked about cougars and their many, many, many attacks on humans. My buddy was a perfect candidate for hypnosis as he could easily be manipulated into filling his mind with suggestions.

He was on the trail in front of me and was nearly saturated with talk of Cougar attacks. I knew he had reached this level when he kept saying 'can't you talk about something else?"

As we walked a long I picked up a stick about 18 inches long and tossed it into the limbs above the trail. He heard it just as the stick came down and hit his back pack. I yelled "CAT" at the same time. It took several minutes before I could stand. The sight of him shedding his pack leaping tall trees and running like a gazelle were more than my laugh drive could handle.:sHa_shakeshout:

Now that was a ***** move!....Well Played!...

I was working forestry laying out a cutblock and a guy behind me gps'ing the boundary. I saw a grouse and hit it with a roll of flagging tape stunning it... It was just starting to revive when I stuffed it down into the snow and put a 2nd toque of it. I then carried on... abot 1 minute later I hear the most gawdaful high pitched scream... I guess he found my toque and pictit up and this grouse flew riht up into his face....It was awesome!....

I have been out in the bush and probably the worst innocent scares have been from grouse. Once was a baby rabbit who let out the most ungodly squeal when I stepped on it when it was under the Moss

flygirrl
11-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Wow, that isn't even nice, you would be dancing when I got done with you if I were him.....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Was out this morning and just as I was getting ready to get out of the truck at first light a doe came out and walked about 50 yards away, so much for getting out of the truck. Lo and behold this buck exploded from the bush just in front of the truck , with neck extended he chased the doe back into the bush. With the wind right at my back I got out and proceeded to walk down to where they went in knowing full well they would wind me. Sure enough, out came the doe, winded me blew and took off. Was fun anyway. :sHa_shakeshout:

KegRiver
11-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Grouse get me every time. They wait till you're 2' away then take off scaring the @$&! Out of me!

Yeah they get me too! Snow, not so much, but dem dam Grouse cost me more then a pair or two of good shorts.

If you have never had a Grouse explode out of two feet of snow under your feet, you don't know what a heart stopper is, hey demolition?

Walleyes
11-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah they get me too! Snow, not so much, but dem dam Grouse cost me more then a pair or two of good shorts.

If you have never had a Grouse explode out of two feet of snow under your feet, you don't know what a heart stopper is, hey demolition?

Lol,, I was just going to post the same thing.. I am usualy a pretty com guy in the bush and it takes a lot to get me spooked but ooohh those darn grouse..

bang_on_sk
11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I did some work in the bush in New Brunswick and the woodcocks there were brutal, they'd actually fly up from under your foot when it was about a foot off the ground. Talk about filling your pants

Stinky Buffalo
11-06-2012, 04:47 PM
It took several minutes before I could stand. The sight of him shedding his pack leaping tall trees and running like a gazelle were more than my laugh drive could handle.

Ooooooooh! That's just PURE EVIL!

I remember crouching by a fence post in Niton, blowing on a grunt call, and hearing footsteps behind me coming closer and closer... Then faster and faster... I got a bit concerned, thinking a buck might be coming to give me the business end of his antlers. So, I spun around and stood up in one motion, in time to see a wolf hightailing it back into the bushes. That was a bit of a shock for sure!

Stinky

Pincherguy
11-06-2012, 04:58 PM
I was walking in the tall grass once fishing a stream moving to another hole. The grass started moving and a brown thing was coming at me full tilt, scared the crap out of me until I realized it was a whitetail fawn, ran right past me. Had to tune up the pacemaker after that one.
PG

KegRiver
11-06-2012, 10:45 PM
This reminds me.

When I was about ten, my sister Aurora acquired a fake fur coat.
It was late August and the weather was hot, but she was so thrilled with that coat she wore it everywhere.

Back then we didn't have indoor plumbing in our house. No one in the area did.
What we had was a two holer out behind the house.

So this day we kids were playing in the yard. I'm not sure now if we were playing ball or anti I over or what, but we were outside and it was getting dark.
Then Aurora had to answer natures call, so off to the half moon shack she goes.

It was dark and very hot inside that shack, so she took off her coat and placed it on the seat beside her. Where she forgot it. We of course knew nothing of this, until later.

Some time later, another sister ( I have eleven sisters ) also had to answer natures call. By now it was getting hard to see, outside.
Inside the half moon shack it was as dark as the inside of a black cow.

Well Ida sat down and relaxed. Then she placed her hand on the seat beside her, to stabilize herself I suppose. And of course she placed her hand on that hot fur coat.

Later she told us that it moved when she touched it.
At any rate, the results were quiet spectacular. The screaming and scratching coming from inside that shack scared us all half to death.

As I recall, dad had to take that coat out and shoot it before any of us would use that shack again.

browning buckhunter
11-07-2012, 01:39 AM

Same here! Some years when there in high numbers it gets so bad when your walkin right at dusk down the trail after calling moose or elk all evening and you've already given yourself a case of the heebeee jeebees. I just wish I could kill them all before they give me a heart attack! That's the reason I hunt them. well and they taste good!

SHORTMAG
11-07-2012, 05:40 AM
LMAO...couple of good "frights" handed out here...sick bass terds..heh heh heh

mine.......
7 or 8 yrs ago, my bud and me decded to try baiting and harvesting a couple of black bears. We learned the whole process from my home hunting site and some fine members here.
One of our regular camp buddies (( Paul ))said we were foolish...he'd been in the woods all his life and only ever saw one bear.
2 weeks after we got set up...we had bears on the cameras...7 of them at one site....3 at another....2 weeks after that we had 5 or 6 more at the third site. Well by this time, ol Paul said he was geting nervous because of all the bears around...he would always take a stick with him as he walked thru the woods...pruning shooting lanes, fixin up stands, just doin piddly chit...etc
One day the three of us were out puting up a new stand site. We came past a grown up skidder road...Paul wanted to run in the 150 yds and check out the old stand...said he'd only be a minute.
After he disappeared from site, I bailed out of the truck and hid myself along the trail ((all 290 lbs of me...dressed in a black sweatshirt and dark blue sweats))
I waited for about 3 minutes...Glen was sitting in the truck about 75 yds from me and the trail entrance.
I heard Paul approaching, coming out the trail. When he was about 10 ft from me...I jumped up with my arms up and over my head...and did my loudest grizzly/blackbear/samsquatch growls that I could.....

53 year old men shouldn't be able to scream and scream like a 12 yr old girl should they ?? :evilgrin:

biker0205
11-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Where was this? A few months ago me and a friend called in a pack of wolves with a cow moose call. They started howling and closing in on us. He had my shotty with 3 shells n i had my bow with 3 arrows. Needless to saw it was a quick treck back a km to the truck. A few weeks later i set a trail cam up with some deer scraps and got pictures of the pack. Got 5 of them on cam. 3 real nice black ones. And you can tell the alpha real good.

catnthehat
11-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Quite a few years ago a well known bow hunter who was a friend of mine was guiding a bunch of fellas from Stateside, one of them a blind bow hunter who shot with the help of a sight that a partner would use - th ehunter himself would draw the bow and release.
Anyway, they were heading down the road and got off the highway onto a logging road heading for camp and this guy yells "BEAR!!"
Jack nearly put the truck in the ditch and said "where? " and about the same time that his blind guest was laffin' arse off!!:sign0161::sHa_sarcasticlol:
Soo, that weekend, after everybody had tagged their bears, they decided to go to town.
Jack looks at the blind guest and saya" You're not going to town in yoru camo are you"?:scared:
The blind guy looked surprised and said "' DANG! gimme a minute and I'll...??!!"
At about the same time realised that he had changed about an hour before and was simply getting back what he had given on the logging road!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cat

Redfrog
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
On a spring bear hunt on the coast, our group was standing around the fire at night having a sip. The group was made up of 5 Italians and me. For some reason the Italians always got very excited about hunting bears. It was a real macho thing to them.

As we were telling lies and hanging around the Italian fire.[ That's one that is a minimum of 6 feet across.] my buddy gave me a nod and looked at the truck tire he had pulled from the pickup box. I knew what he had in mind as he was as sick as I was.

I began to regale these boys with tales of great bear encounters I had had over the years and when I had the crowd hanging on every word, buddy rolled the truck wheel complete with tire through the camp. I yelled bear and that was how the Italian Olympic fire jumping team was started.:sHa_shakeshout:

C Taylor
11-07-2012, 09:33 AM
My dad loves to tell a story of when I was about 12, I was driving a argo an dad was moose hunting when all of a sudden he jumps out and runs up to the hill top. I stop an run over to him wanting to see what ever he had seen. He had just told me that he had seen a bear but it was now gone. He no sooner said this and a grouse flew up from directly between my feet. I jumped so hard my glasses fell off. His version is I jumped right out of my glasses! 30 years later and he still laughs every time he tells the story