PDA

View Full Version : Deer sausage info....

imdoc
11-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi All....
Shot my first white tail last week & its been hanging in the garage for 5 days. Today is Butcher day! Going to do a bunch of it into steaks/roasts/stewing chunks, but I don't know where to take the rest for Sausage. I don't have the equipment/knowledge to grind or make my own just yet.....looking for suggestions!

Cheers!

Derek

bagwan
11-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe a location would help as you may get offers to get help from someone vice taking it to a shop.

imdoc
11-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Great idea! Im in the south east of Calgary in Chaparral.

iliketrout
11-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I've had sausage from both Ryan's and Illichman's. Both are great.

FallAirFever
11-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I took some trim into Ryan's a year ago and had it make into smokies, they were pretty good.

Paoulini's is another good one as long as you dont get pepperoni, their pep is like soggy weiners with a bit of spice to them :sick:

I would reccomend visiting a few and checking them out, sampling some product and decide from there. Dont for get to ask them if they have specific batch sizes for sausages as well. As well I'd freeze my trim and wait to take it in, most butcher shops are very busy right now. Better chance they will take their time and that you will get your own meat back by waiting til they are slower.

Congrats on the tasty eats and let us know who you decide on, good luck!

kidd
11-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Hey Derek, congrats on your deer. Sorry I cant help on a place to take the meat, but I do have a couple of other ideas that might be of interest.

You might find that unless its a monster you may have a tough time having all those cuts for the freezer and still have enough left to take in for sausage. Butchers have a minimum amount that they want you to bring in, probably about 20 lbs IIRC.
And most important in my books is what FAF said. Freeze it and take it in in January or later, that way there is less chance other hunters will have their meat there and less chance of you getting poorer quality.
kidd

Dan Boone
11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Do anyone know where i can get honey garlic sausage seasoning? For fresh sausage not smoked or cured.
Thanks

bb356
11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Hey Derek, congrats on your deer. Sorry I cant help on a place to take the meat, but I do have a couple of other ideas that might be of interest.

You might find that unless its a monster you may have a tough time having all those cuts for the freezer and still have enough left to take in for sausage. Butchers have a minimum amount that they want you to bring in, probably about 20 lbs IIRC.
And most important in my books is what FAF said. Freeze it and take it in in January or later, that way there is less chance other hunters will have their meat there and less chance of you getting poorer quality.
kidd

x 474 !!!