PDA

View Full Version : Say it isn't so....Izumi/Shimano are no more

sheephunter
11-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Wed, 11/07/2012
COLUMBIA, S.C. - Abu Garcia® has signed one of the biggest names in Canadian fishing by inking Izumi Outdoors Inc. producer of Bob Izumi’s Real Fishing television show. Izumi Outdoors Inc. joined the Abu Garcia team in a multi-year deal that was signed today. This decision comes in an award-winning year for Abu Garcia.

The company strives for excellence with the release of their third generation of Revo low profile reels. “I am incredibly excited about working with Abu Garcia and am so impressed with just how smooth their reels are,” said Izumi. “The reels are simply great in how they look and function. As a tournament bass angler, the Revo reels have incredibly powerful drags and a full line of matching rods, which are second to none.”

“It’s great to see Bob so enthusiastic about our products. He will be an incredible asset to our Abu Garcia team,” said Chris Hockley, Canadian Marketing Manager for Pure Fishing. “Bob Izumi is Canada's best-known and most sought after contemporary fisherman. He is the country's most successful tournament fisherman, respected author, seminar speaker, conservationist, television personality and radio show host.”

For over 25-years Bob Izumi has shared adventures with anglers across North America and around the world through his television division, magazine department, Real Fishing Radio show and realfishing.com. Bob Izumi's top-rated Real Fishing Show is a unique blend of entertainment and information that brings some of the world's greatest fishing to the small screen, from the high Arctic to South America, in freshwater and salt.

For more information on Izumi Outdoors visit Bob Izumi’s Real Fishing and for additional information on Abu Garcia visit abugarcia.com.

EZM
11-07-2012, 02:43 PM
It is so ............. Reality Check - If Shakesphere, the leader in crap fishing products, offered enough money, Bob Izumi would be pitching that too and telling us the same great story about their products.

The good news is Abu Garcia is, in fact, great quality product and arguably as good or better than Shimano products. Both companies offer entry level and high end gear.

Good for him - cha-ching $$$$$$

steve
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Yup, people would see their soles if the price is right or free stuff is involved.

Who makes a better product abu or shimano?

the local angler
11-07-2012, 03:21 PM
i have not had good experience with stuff from abu garcia, but am sure they have some good stuff. out of all my gear my best reel is a $40 shakespeare out cast from the 80s. i love it cause its still going strong and is a 6:2.1 ratio and is so fast at retreiving line and so smooth. most of my current stuff is all shimano for both rods and reels but like most everyone will have their own favorites and brand loyalty. does it say he is not with shimano anymore or can he have both as sponsors?

BuckCuller
11-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't care what mr. Izumi does he is still the best in my books. He made shimano it did not make him. If Abu is great product why not.

Walleyedude
11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't care what mr. Izumi does he is still the best in my books. He made shimano it did not make him. If Abu is great product why not.

Bob Izumi made Shimano. LOL, that's hilarious.

Bob sold his soul ages ago. Real Fishing is not a fishing show it's a 1/2hr infomercial for his sponsors, with a couple minutes of Bob catching fish in some fool proof location that comp'd him a fishing trip. Real Fishing might as well be on the shopping channel, because there's nothing of any substance to it. It's been an absolute joke for a long time now.

It's all about the almighty dollar folks, Bob is paid to be enthusiastic about the products.

Ask yourself this, did Bob get a better offer from Abu Garcia, or did Shimano show him the door?

AppleJax
11-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Rumor has it Geezle already pitched his favorite Shimano hat for a new Abu Garcia one..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Flyfisher87
11-07-2012, 05:35 PM
That`s too bad. They were his sponsor for a lot of years.

Lefty-Canuck
11-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Bob is to Shimano what Jim is to Argo :)

.....I always thought you would have to pluck a Shimano from Bob's dead cold hands....

LC

fishunter327
11-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Yup, people would see their soles if the price is right or free stuff is involved.

Good thing or the oilers wouldn,t have any players.sorry I couldn,t resist:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Walleyes
11-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Whats the problem,, thats what the man does for a living,, sponsors. Thats what the whole thing is about..

Good on him,, good old Canadian boy making his way.. Hope he gets payed a whack..

Alberta Bigbore
11-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Bob Izumi and Shimano was like a fly on poop. What is the world coming to?

Fish face
11-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Thats funny!:)

YeeHaw
11-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Rumor has it Geezle already pitched his favorite Shimano hat for a new Abu Garcia one..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

BeeGuy
11-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I've always been partial to AG over Shimano.

Had a C3 in the 90's that lasted forever through heavy use. Wore the rubber grip right off the handle.

I use the cheapest quantum reels I can find now, but am always ogling those $50 AG spinning reels.

IMO Izumi isn't a terribly nice person. He is a salesman to the core, and I couldn't care less what he hawks.

My advice to anyone that heads out with Bob:

Don't out fish the man.

B_Type13X2
11-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Who makes a better product abu or shimano?

I like Abu's reels more then Shimano but Shimano's rods more then Abu's. That's why I have an AbuShi mix and match rod and reel.

Walleye101
11-08-2012, 09:02 AM
What does Al Linder recommend? :)

Flyrod1970
11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Bob sold his soul ages ago. Real Fishing is not a fishing show it's a 1/2hr infomercial for his sponsors, with a couple minutes of Bob catching fish in some fool proof location that comp'd him a fishing trip. Real Fishing might as well be on the shopping channel, because there's nothing of any substance to it. It's been an absolute joke for a long time now.

It's all about the almighty dollar folks, Bob is paid to be enthusiastic about the products.

X2 100% correct. Terrible show errrrrrr infomercial!

Winch101
11-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Bob like all pro players , goes where the bucks are ....hard to believe hes not a base ball player .....I dont think Garcia has got the product to do credible

promos ...In fact they havent a good reel since the Mitchell 300 or the Abu 5000.
There rods are brutal, so good luck to them ....And Bob is basically a good guy...you do what you got to do to eat.

I have some shimano reels that are 25 to 30 years old ....still good ..

catnthehat
11-08-2012, 11:18 AM
He's a pro, and no matter if he left or Shimano showed him the door, he's now working for Abu.
It's just another outfit......
Cat

Walleyedude
11-08-2012, 12:03 PM

LOL. Whatever Shimano, er, I mean Quantam pays him too!

That must have been one sweetheart of a deal, he even gets to put his name on the rods.

B_Type13X2
11-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Bob like all pro players , goes where the bucks are ....hard to believe hes not a base ball player .....I dont think Garcia has got the product to do credible

promos ...In fact they havent a good reel since the Mitchell 300 or the Abu 5000.
There rods are brutal, so good luck to them ....And Bob is basically a good guy...you do what you got to do to eat.

I have some shimano reels that are 25 to 30 years old ....still good ..

I'd say the Orra S or Orra SX are good entry level reels better then the Shimano Symetre atleast in action its smoother. And I've only ever heard positive things about their Revo inshore so much so that it will be my next reel.

Their rods your absolutely correct about they spend more time thinking of cool sounding names then actually developing a stick that doesn't have the tips/ guides break off.

pike_king780
11-08-2012, 01:16 PM

Ask yourself this, did Bob get a better offer from Abu Garcia, or did Shimano show him the door?

X2

Rick.
11-08-2012, 01:37 PM
I would imagine all my Abu stuff has just gone up in value? I'll be rich. Actually, it isn't for sale. My kids will be rich!
Rick.

ESOXangler
11-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Probably jesus

TROLLER
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am pretty damn sure that no one luck sak with a TV show made Shimano. DUH they have been around a lot longer than this guy.

And if Abu thinks that will help with their crappy reels well then good luck with that one too.

:angry3:

jacenbeers
11-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Let's change the subject and talk about Bob Izumi's daughter. Google her.

EZM
11-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I can't believe the negative comments about AG's reels ..... clearly, just like Shimano, they make entry level and high end stuff to have a product offering or each market segment at a particular price point.

I have purchased, used, and broken alot of both Shimano and AG stuff and I'd say, at comparative price points, the AG reels are way smoother, stronger and have a superior drag. On the other hand Shimano's rods are crisper and more durable.

Both companies make great products.

If I was Izumi I'd be sipping on an energy drink, smokin' marlboroughs and wearing lulu lemons. Cha Ching $$$$$

Walleyemagnet
11-09-2012, 10:57 PM
You can't tell me that Al Linder or Bob Izumi wouldn't rather be using Shimano gear but I guess you do what you gotta do to keep the lights on. Stradics are awesome and Stella is considered to be the world's best spinning reel. Al was in a major funk because he lost a long time sponsor. Shimano has Dave Mercer and I think that guy can sell them a lot of stuff.

Jakers
11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
After reading all the posts......it amazes me how negitive people truley are......whether its jealiousy or just plain ignorance. I will give the benefit of the doubt and say its ignorance.
I am willing to bet most' if not all of these people have even met the man, yet alone know him.
Making negitive comments about people you dont even know, or about events, or decisions you again know nothing about sure doesnt make one look wise.
For those that don't like the show, then don't watch it!!! but you sure seem to know alot about the show......so obviously you still view it from time to time.
The bottom line is Bob is a great fisherman......and to do what they do fulltime, you need sponsors.......all sports have them. as for advertising......no ill intent to this forum.....but isnt the top of this page full of ads......IT HELPS PAY THE BILLS and permits good forums like this one and the many others out there to exist! Not to mention all the hunting and fishing shows we watch and enjoy when we can't get out ourselves...........Just my two cents.

Jakers
11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Let's change the subject and talk about Bob Izumi's daughter. Google her.

Why????
who is Bob's daughter

Walleyedude
11-12-2012, 11:20 AM
After reading all the posts......it amazes me how negitive people truley are......whether its jealiousy or just plain ignorance. I will give the benefit of the doubt and say its ignorance.
I am willing to bet most' if not all of these people have even met the man, yet alone know him.
Making negitive comments about people you dont even know, or about events, or decisions you again know nothing about sure doesnt make one look wise.
For those that don't like the show, then don't watch it!!! but you sure seem to know alot about the show......so obviously you still view it from time to time.
The bottom line is Bob is a great fisherman......and to do what they do fulltime, you need sponsors.......all sports have them. as for advertising......no ill intent to this forum.....but isnt the top of this page full of ads......IT HELPS PAY THE BILLS and permits good forums like this one and the many others out there to exist! Not to mention all the hunting and fishing shows we watch and enjoy when we can't get out ourselves...........Just my two cents.

Sorry to hurt your feelings Bob.

Now that you've signed up for the forum so you could respond to this post, you might as well take some time and look around, there's lots of good info here.

Jakers
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
LOLOL.....I assure you that I am not Bob.....
and you are right there is tons of great stuff on here, thats why i joined!!!.......just a shame that it gets shaddowed by some of the negitive.......but this is common on all the sites.....

the local angler
11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
i thought mariko izumi is bobs brother waynes daughter? if thats who you are refering too and yes i agree shes a looker.

Lefty-Canuck
11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
i thought mariko izumi is bobs brother waynes daughter? if thats who you are refering too and yes i agree shes a looker.

Yes it is his niece not his daughter.

LC