View Full Version : morinville reservoir and cardiff park report

wildman
05-19-2008, 01:49 AM
made it out today for half a day.
had a look at morinville res.
crazy windy.
decided to try cardiff.
much nicer. lots of shelter.
found fish very easily!!!! they hit beadheads, EHCs, wolly buggers, and small stimulators.
in 4 hrs landed 40-50 fish!!!!
half those were newbie stockers tho... 3-6"ers...
the fish were very aggressive!!!! many biting a few feet away from you!!!
saw a few big ones sharking around really tight to shore so i tries minnow patterns and got several between 12-15"!!!
great fight in the cold water!!!! 3-4 jumps with every bigger one!!!
another surprise was that about every 5th or 6th fish was a perch!!!
nothing big. best perch was about 7-8"...they were super-bright colored and several jizzed everywhere when i grabbed it!!! the perch are spawning!!!!
fun afternoon. steady action, a couple decent sized, 5 or 6 over 12" with the best being 15" and some surprise perch thrown in!!! all were released for another day.
the worm dunkers were doing well too!!!
everyone i saw caught something with many decent ones.
pretty little park. worth a look!!!
cheers, gw

mark-edmonton
05-20-2008, 08:13 PM
was out there yeaterday as well. put a line int he water for the wife, then tried my new fly rod. its hard, but I will perservere and learn that damn thing. lol

didn't catch a damn thing, but did manage to get a few decent casts. was fishing at the narrow point straight out from parking lot. lots of rises, but my lack of experience was evident. lol

Oh well, gotta learn sometime. tried a bead head black wolley and a buck hair caddis. May have had one small hit, but I'm not too sure.

Next time

MArk

redneck posse
05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
where is cardiff pond how do you get there? thanks

Morph1
05-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Go out Hwy 2 past Saint Albert, then just 5 km's before Morinville - Cardiff turn off right, 3 more km's down the road till you see Golf Course turn there
and drive till you see the pond on your left.

brengun
05-22-2008, 03:43 PM
so there is alot of trout there

what are they biting for

brengun:)

Drano
05-23-2008, 02:05 AM
so there is alot of trout there

what are they biting for

brengun:)

Maybe they're hungry? Sorry man could not resist...:lol: :wave:

BigA
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
How do I get to Morinville Reservoir? I called the Town and they didn't know what I was talking about, though the receptionist mentioned a man-made lake called Heritage Lake. Is that the same place? Just west of the overpass as you get to morinville?

travisj
06-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Yep, same place as Heritage. There is an RV park on it, right beside the overpass.
Three places for trout around Morinville, Cardiff, Morinville Fish & Game Pond, and the Morinville Reservoir/Heritage Lake.

zouzou123
06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
can you go in the boat there?

Vega21
03-29-2010, 10:40 AM
The pond right by the RV park wouldnt require boats but I have seen people canoeing on that pond. I drove by there yesterday and realized the entire lake was still frozen over in fact people were ice fishinf still. Does anyone know when the lake usually will be unfrozen?

buckmasterjr
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Does cardiff still have ice?

tonyflyfish
03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Cardiff is all ice-don't know where mark was fishing (????????????????)

Trout Addict
03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Looks like an old thread, I believe the top left corner depicts when it was posted looks like may of 2008. Thanks for questioning that I was getting fired up and thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon!

tonyflyfish
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
ah ha! I knew someone had an answer!

RedFisher
03-29-2010, 11:21 PM
So how is caridff right now?? i drove to it but i was too late the closed the gates... so i didnt bother... wondering if it was worth ir to go there this week??

Paul C
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
I am glad to see the fishing report was accurate for 2008.:evilgrin:

moonyrat
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
what's the golf course called? the one near cardiff pond?

Overbore
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
what's the golf course called? the one near cardiff pond?

The golf course is Cardiff Golf Course. I walked to the lake yesterday and the water level is sure down. I wonder if the golf course will be allowed to pump water from the lake for irrigation this year.