PDA

View Full Version : POLL: How do you hunt WT deer with success?

Wiz
11-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Choose 1 of the first 3 questions... yes or no to the fourth.... and one of the last three.

huntin'fool
11-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I really enjoy still hunting.

ishootbambi
11-08-2012, 09:01 AM
walk and stalk would be the best fit of your options. and if the sun is up, im hunting. ive taken them literally at all hours of the day, but i suppose if i could freeze time it would be the first minute of legal light.

biker0205
11-08-2012, 09:04 AM
For white tail iv had best luck with #3 and then usually anywhere after 10am for time... I guess i do a fair bit of walk and stalk too if im feeling it. Usually when i am it pays off. Or at least ill see an animal

catnthehat
11-08-2012, 09:05 AM
I've kild white tails at all hours if the day and in all conditions and using all methods.
The strange thing is that the biggest racked deer I have killed during the rut were in the worst weather conditions imaginable!
it did not matter where i was , down south or up here, when the rut is on , they are moving regarrdlless oof the weather.:)
Cat

Walleyes
11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Why is there not one for "All The Above" In any given week I will cover all these tactics and its not like I can say I have had better success with any differant one.

RayL42
11-08-2012, 10:45 AM
In the mornings and evenings I typically sit in my tree stand and will do a little rattling and calling.

If the wind picks up I will walk around the woods in the afternoon moving as slowly and quietly as I can.

I try to stay out all day; I have shot as many deer in the middle of the afternoon as I have in the morning or the evening.

crazyfish
11-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Why is there not one for "All The Above" In any given week I will cover all these tactics and its not like I can say I have had better success with any differant one.

X2 showed to be adaptable and open minded to chase after an animal that is also changing and adapting to conditions , the rut , food availability and weather changes ! Enjoy and good luck !

Barnes19
11-08-2012, 11:35 AM
I usaully hunt fields, the last couple years I've had good success with rattling during the rut. I find that whitetail bucks are more likely to cross fields in the mornings looking for hot doe tracks from the night before.

Wiz
11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
great response so far. thanks!

grinr
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM

X3
I enjoy spot&stalk/stillhunting the most,but any given day I might do all 3,use calls,scents,rattle antlers,drive around/explore new areas,got no problem with jumping out of truck to whack one as long as it's legal.Pack snacks and hunt all day from dark til dark,couldn't count how many I've taken midday while rest of party is back at camp having lunch and naps.....ive taken a few at first light,a few more at last light,but most of my deer by far I'd guess came between 9:30 and noon and shot lots more between noon and 3pm.....ya can't shootem from the bunk. ;)