PDA

View Full Version : Head shots

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Shot a young bull moose the other night behind the ear. It was 4pm and kinda in a bad spot, so opted for the shot. It was under 100 yards and I was 100 percent sure of my shot. What do guys think as far as meat quality and ethics?

IR_mike
11-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Unless your eating brains.....

Ethics....Im assumeing its DRT, good shot.

elkhunter11
11-08-2012, 11:10 AM
If perfectly placed, a head shot can provide a quick, clean, in it's tracks kill. If not placed perfectly, a head shot can leave a crippled animal that may die from the wound later, it may lose the sight of one eye, or it may even end up starving to death because of a damaged jaw.

ishootbambi
11-08-2012, 11:32 AM
sounds like congrats are in order. meat quality should be awesome....ive never had a bad moose yet.

bdub
11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
If perfectly placed, a head shot can provide a quick, clean, in it's tracks kill. If not placed perfectly, a head shot can leave a crippled animal that may die from the wound later, it may lose the sight of one eye, or it may even end up starving to death because of a damaged jaw.

x2 on that. I almost got stomped by a head shot moose one time. Looked like a perfect shot and it dropped like a rock. Got up to it and was starting to dig my camera out for field photos and he started to get up on his front end. Did some fast scrambling to grab the gun and give him another in the head at point blank range. Learned my lesson that day about approaching downed game and head shots. Kind of a two for one education on what not to do. The first shot had passed below the horn base but not into the brain cavity.

krthegunslinger
11-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Personally I would not hesitate on a head or high neck shot at 100 yards or less as long as you are confident in your rifle and shooting skills. Not an ounce of wasted meat and they drop instantly. I usually go for this type of shot as long as the distance is in my absolute comfort range and I have a solid rest.

jacenbeers
11-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I agree that shot placement and confidence in your aim is important. When I was younger, my cousin attempted a headshot on a bull moose. He hit it but it was in the jaw. Though the moose eventually died and we were able to recover it, the moose ran over 3 kilometers and slowly bled out. He suffered pretty badly and it was a horrible day trying to track the poor beast through miles of thick bush. When we recovered it, the jaw was shattered and hanging and if not for the slow blood loss, the moose would have starved anyways.

nekred
11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
No problkem giving an animal one in the toque...

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Heres the lil fella!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/BuckKrazy/F821A58C-CD7B-40D6-BACF-B7D4B67597E6-652-000000BFA4D8E710.jpg

Mike_W
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Head shots are fine if done in the right conditions 100 yards is a bit far for a head shot for my liking under 50 yards absolutly but the shot has to be right otherwise I would shoot behind the shoulder.
The result is a clean carcase free of blood /damaged meat.

Congrats on the moose BTW

fishtank
11-08-2012, 12:36 PM
just to be safe put another bullet in it as you get closer, don't want em to play dead on you.

brother1
11-08-2012, 12:39 PM
I agree, it's all about the distance. Under 100 yards with the right angle, and I take a neck shot every time. Drops them where they stand and only messes up some neck meat. But if a head shot presents itself, and you don't want to mount it later, why not?

redneck4life
11-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I dont mine doing head shots at up to about 100 yards. unless your a good shot my 17 year old boy can out shot me anyday of week and he has been doing 200 yard head shots not a problem!! :126fs2277341:

huntinstuff
11-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Nice shot. Period.:)

nekred
11-08-2012, 12:50 PM

and if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle.... best way to ensure an animal is not wounded is to not shoot at all... then the animal will live forever...

Quinn42
11-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I took a bull moose with the bow this year and when I was skinning the head out for my european mount I found a copper jacket against the skull. The tip was flattened and the area around the jacket was obivously different looking but healed over and the lead was gone so likley absorbed. Skull didn't even show a mark. I imagine that really rang his bells but didn't stop him so I'd be awful choosy about the angle etc if that was your only option.

BTW, congrats on the moose, great eating and fills the freezer quick.

Q

medicmoose
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Good shooting quick clean kill what more could you ask for

Lefty-Canuck
11-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Over the years I have taken a quite few head and neck shots when it was all I had....one particular instance (that still hurts) I shot a deer in the neck from exactly 100 yards....he dropped on the spot. I went up to him to admire the rack etc....realized I had left my knife back where I was laying down in the field to take the shot.....so I figured why drag a full deer I better get the knife then it will be lighter.

By the time I got back to the deer....he had his head up and my rifle was sitting next to him...he got up and ran away. Saw him a week later after season with some does....for that reason "boiler room" shots for me from now on, oh and I always have my knife on my belt....not in a pack.

LC

elkhunter11
11-08-2012, 01:01 PM
and if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle.... best way to ensure an animal is not wounded is to not shoot at all... then the animal will live forever...

The "best" shot to take is the one that provides the highest percentage of striking the vitals, and in most cases, that is the largest vital area, which isn't the head.

pickrel pat
11-08-2012, 01:10 PM
congratz on the bull!
rifle head shot...... under 100 yards.
bow head shot....... under 30 yards.
only kidding. If your comfortable with any shot, have at er!

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. Not a shot I would normally take, especially on a deer. Meat quality is excellent. As soon as I started gutting him, the blood poored out! Cooked up some t.loin and so far, best wild meat i've ever had!

Stinky Buffalo
11-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Congrats on your moose! Well done.

Stinky

Sooner
11-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Congrats on a nice tasty bull. You were confident and you made the shot. Nothing wrong imo.

Walleyes
11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
That bull was dead before it hit the ground,, never felt a thing.. I would think thats about the most ethical thing one could do. Any "bad" shot can do an animal unnecesary harm not just a bad head shot..

Well done and congrats on a fine moose..

bowtech3006
11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
The "best" shot to take is the one that provides the highest percentage of striking the vitals, and in most cases, that is the largest vital area, which isn't the head.

I'd have to agree here. So much more to play with, the shoulder, liver, spine, heart & that's if you blow the lung shot. I watched a mule doe stumble out of a push in camp wainwright muzzleloader front leg helicopter. I was only 15, I fired my one shot and missed. The deer collapsed I assume from bloodloss & another fella tried to take her in the head. A 480 grn conical slug right to the jaw. I've never heard sounds so terrible and prolonged because of reload time. I only shoot the head when there on the ground & my barrel is almost touching them. Personal preference. I can afford a five pound of meat loss.

rwm1273
11-08-2012, 06:39 PM
I prefer head shots. The longest I took was 220m. The buck dropped where he stood. I prefer the head shot because I do not damage any meat, they don't run, and it is also cleaner when gutting them.

Some time last year I had a fellow on here accuse me of not being ethical because I prefer head shots. Just because he is not confident to take a head shot does not mean I am unethical. I know my limitations, I know my gun's limitations, and I do not take a shot if I do not think I will be successful in making my mark. I never shoot at a running animal, and I don't take wildly long shots.

If I only have the back side to see when shooting, but the head is exposed, guess what, the animal gets it in the back of the head. Same if it is looking straight on to me.

The only time I would think of not taking a head shot if it was open to me would be if I planned to mount the head as a trophy. So far I have not had any bucks worthy of mounting the whole head.

flyguyd
11-08-2012, 06:40 PM
No problems with a head shot 100yds or less on anything that isnt a trophy class animal.

A good taxidermist can only fix so much......lol

bdub
11-08-2012, 08:14 PM

X2. A head shot is shooting at the brain, a target about the size of an apple. Heart lung on a moose is like shooting at a 5 gallon pail or more. Head shots really are a poor percentage shot.

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Know the limitations of your rifle, if you cant hit an apple at 300 yards let alone 100 yards, hang up your gun and stay out of the bush!

elkhunter11
11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Know the limitations of your rifle, if you cant hit an apple at 300 yards let alone 100 yards, hang up your gun and stay out of the bush!

If it was a requirement to hit an apple three times out of three, at 300 yards, from a field position(no bench), in order to get a hunting license, there would be far fewer people hunting.

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Almost 12000 posts, get out and shoot your rifle!

elkhunter11
11-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Almost 12000 posts, get out and shoot your rifle!

I guess that I should, I have been busy this year and didn't get out shooting as much as I normally do. I am only at about 900 rounds of centerfire, 3000 rounds of rimfire, 3000 rounds of shotgun, and 400 rounds of handgun.

How many shots have you fired this year?

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Lol maybe get your eyes tested then!

elkhunter11
11-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Lol maybe get your eyes tested then!

I never said that I couldn't hit an apple three out of three attempts at 300 yards, I just said that if it was a requirement to get a hunting license, many people wouldn't qualify.

But since you are the one that is setting the standard of hitting an apple at 300 yards, and you are the one telling me to get out and shoot my rifle, the least that you could do is answer my question as to how many shots that you have fired out of your rifle this year.

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Sorry man, I get it. So far this year I've fired one shot to check my scope and one to shoot my moose. Will fire one more to kill my whitetail buck, not a huge target shooter. I know how my bullet and gun perform dont need thousands of rounds to tell me so.

Bolete
11-08-2012, 09:33 PM
When the conditions of the shot are right (supported shooting stance, close range, etc) go for it. There are few shots as satisfying as popping a noggin. That said, I don't head shoot deer anymore due to CWD testing. I can't imagine the lab workers would be too impressed if you turned in a bag of grey jello to be tested.

Lefty-Canuck
11-08-2012, 09:35 PM
When the conditions of the shot are right (supported shooting stance, close range, etc) go for it. There are few shots as satisfying as popping a noggin. That said, I don't head shoot deer anymore due to CWD testing. I can't imagine the lab workers would be too impressed if you turned in a bag of grey jello to be tested.

Just for interest sake they only need the lower part of the brain including the brain stem to test for CWD....thats why it is ok to cut the skull plate off and turn in the rest.

LC

elkhunter11
11-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Sorry man, I get it. So far this year I've fired one shot to check my scope and one to shoot my moose. Will fire one more to kill my whitetail buck, not a huge target shooter. I know how my bullet and gun perform dont need thousands of rounds to tell me so.

So you have fired all of two shots this year, and you are telling us that if you can't hit an apple at 300 yards, you should hang up your gun, and stay out of the bush? How confident are you that you could meet your own standard under field conditions? It's too bad that you don't live close by, or I would gladly put up some cash on a bet to see you hit three apples with three shots at 300 yards, from a field position.

Lefty-Canuck
11-08-2012, 09:59 PM
So you have fired all of two shots this year, and you are telling us that if you can't hit an apple at 300 yards, you should hang up your gun, and stay out of the bush? How confident are you that you could meet your own standard under field conditions? It's too bad that you don't live close by, or I would gladly put up some cash on a bet to see you hit three apples with three shots at 300 yards, from a field position.

X2....I would offer up some funds as well :)

LC

bdub
11-08-2012, 10:11 PM
X3. You are just talking crap now. I am glad you got your moose but you don't have to be a F in retard.

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 10:13 PM
My field position is laying down on a bi-pod 90 percent if the time. I may refract my comment about the 300 yard apple in 3 shots, 1 out of 3 tho for sure. No wind maybe 2 out of 3...

Attilathecanuk
11-08-2012, 10:20 PM
What kind of apple?

Lol

Comstar
11-08-2012, 10:37 PM
What kind of apple?

Lol

A crab apple...

elkhunter11
11-08-2012, 10:50 PM
My field position is laying down on a bi-pod 90 percent if the time. I may refract my comment about the 300 yard apple in 3 shots, 1 out of 3 tho for sure. No wind maybe 2 out of 3...

First you post that if someone can't hit an apple at 300 yards that they should hang up their gun and get out of the bush, and now you are telling us that you think that you could hit that apple once out of three shots? :snapoutofit:

Good job on the moose, but think before you make statements like that, or someone will challenge you to back them up.

Buck Krazy
11-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Yeah, point taken. Just get defensive now and then

Big Daddy Badger
11-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Shot a young bull moose the other night behind the ear. It was 4pm and kinda in a bad spot, so opted for the shot. It was under 100 yards and I was 100 percent sure of my shot. What do guys think as far as meat quality and ethics?

Last light I assume?

I hate the late shoots.
Nothing sucks faster than an animal in the wind when light is fading fast.

So...100 meters and a head shot.
Reasonably do-able 99% of the time by an average shooter.

Last light I generally take short shots at the head or neck or let it go.
I'd rather miss clean than spend a night listening for yotes.

i would avoid a neck shot on a moose though...that can be pretty iffy.

I think it was a good shot and for good reason.

Nothing wrong with your ethics or your skill sets.

Pincherguy
11-09-2012, 06:41 AM
I think head shots are low percentage shots, small target to hit unless they are under fifty yards. Even then too much to go wrong, little flinch etc. Take a body shot every time. Meat should be totaly good.
PG

Donkey Slayer
11-09-2012, 08:22 AM
I have taken a few animals in the head but after loosing a deer once I will only take a head shot if less than 100 yards and I have a stable shot and if there is no other possible shot. I will take the boiler room any day. A good boiler room shot will have no meat wasted and the animal will bleed out more.

leo
11-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Dead moose = good shooting, congrats. I myself rarely ever shoot for the head, especially if a lung shot is available, not because I think its unethical. In over 30 years of hunting and field dressing critters, I beleive they bleed out better with a lung or heart shot than one in the head or neck. That to me means better table fare. JMO.

censlenov
11-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I think it comes down to a persons comfort level. I myself only go for the head if there's no other clean shot available.

This deer was dropped with my enfield from 70 yards using only a peep sight. Only shot i had was the head as the body was completely covered by the tall grass. I target shoot my Enfield on a regular basis and felt confident i could make the shot.

Cheers
Chris

Coiloil37
11-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Head shots are just like every other good shot, great until you miss. A clean miss doesn't matter but I've found two dead deer that had their jaw shot off, it's not pretty, both of them starved.
Like already mentioned its a much lower percentage shot, I don't mind losing a little meat and I usually shoot the lungs but it would be a lie if I said I never shot anything in the head, it all depends on the situation.

tyv12
11-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Helped a guy track a buck he shot maybe an inch low because the deer slightly moved its head and hit the jaw recovered the deer but once I saw that I don't even consider them.

podman
11-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I agree it is a lower percentage shot than the vitals, but I have to admit I do head shots on gophers all the time with my 17hmr at about to 100 yards. Have to admit never shot big game with a head shot but If someone can shoot gophers all day with head shots a dear shouldn't be so difficult at 100 or less. Not sure I would take the shot unless that was the only target offered due to field conditions and distance.

covey ridge
11-09-2012, 03:54 PM

1 out of 3 does not seem to be sure of anything. 'maybe' is a better word for everything you say. I was all set to congratulate you til you started to beak off about who should hang up their guns and stay away:(

TheLegend
11-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Whitetail doe head shot. Dead instantly. 10 yards. 30-30 Hornady Zombie Max rounds.

Buck Krazy
11-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Just cranky last night was all.

JEHL75
11-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Great shot! If you can do it comfortably and know you can make the shot, why not. No Suffering. Distace counts of course. I shot my cow moose and buck this year with head shots. 35 yards and 75 yards respectively. I was laying down to shoot the buck. Have to love walking in the bush..........

bdub
11-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Just cranky last night was all.

Me to Buck Krazy, my apologies.

Sledhead71
11-10-2012, 09:40 AM

Have to agree here... Question is why take a head shot in the first place, way to many variables come into play.

Most site in high at 100, pending on calibre might be 1 1/2" already, twig, twitch, adrenaline, ext adds to error... Your prey is not paper where a "opps" means oh well i'll settle in and make the next one 10X.

Congrats on your swamp donkey

Cal
11-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Have to agree here... Question is why take a head shot in the first place, way to many variables come into play.

Most site in high at 100, pending on calibre might be 1 1/2" already, twig, twitch, adrenaline, ext adds to error... Your prey is not paper where a "opps" means oh well i'll settle in and make the next one 10X.

Congrats on your swamp donkey

This right here. When you ask for peoples opinions on head shots dont get mad and start spouting off about when people give them to you.

Pickerel Pat:
I dont think head or neck shots should ever be attempted with a bow. I have a cousin who has wounded a few deer this way. Even when we have a wounded one he tries to neck shoot it from close range and he generaly either misses or hits it in the neck and nothing happens. I told him this year that if he ever did it again I'd quit hunting with him. Dont know why anyone would try this.

Metalmike123
11-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Haha ok there bud. Won't be needing my guns anymore, who wants to buy my crappy 1.5 moa rifles?

elkhunter11
11-10-2012, 11:11 AM
I guess that it all depends on the size of the apple.:)

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Colborne-Ontario.-.jpg

Bonecollecter166
11-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I shot my moose in the head this year, moose head is a pretty big target at 30 yards! Meat and everything was still excellent.

Cal
11-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I shot my moose in the head this year, moose head is a pretty big target at 30 yards! Meat and everything was still excellent.

I agree, at 30 yards its a pretty safe shot. Where guys get effed up though is thinking they are shooting an animal in the "head" or the "neck", you need to shoot it in the "brain" or "spinal collumn." There is an awfull lot of "head" and neck "that" contains niether of these things. I've seen plenty of people fail to put a domestic cow or pig down at ranges of ten yards or less because they shot it in the "head".

C Taylor
11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
30ish years ago I shot a moose in the head from about 5yrds with a 30-06 an never got him. Whole lot more nose than brain. Now I keep head shots for gophers.

sh9683
11-14-2012, 08:48 AM

headshots are amongst the best places to shoot, if your aim is good, my aim is good i think but i don't trust myself with a head shot. if your shot is good and you are confident then go for it.

ishootbambi
11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
I dont think head or neck shots should ever be attempted with a bow.

Dont know why anyone would try this.

ive done it, and absolutely by design. i snuck up on a bedded mule buck and got within 10 yards. i realized that was too close so i backed up just a bit....GASP!!!!!!......to 18 yards and shot him in the center of the back of his skull as he was facing away. 10 yards was too close to make a precision shot, and at 18, that hollow at the base of the skull was about the size of the hundreds of gophers i had shot that year. he never flinched.....just laid his head down, and i tagged him. i dont feel the slightest bit bad about it, but im sure the ethics goobers will be along to berate me for it right quick.

newguy
11-14-2012, 07:00 PM
my 2 cents...

i like to think i can make good shots on a regular basis... that being said, i miss like everyone else. happened again this past weekend. cold barrel, blah blah blah... too many stories of wounded game dying a horrible death because someone missed on a head shot. not an option for me and i would encourage anyone who asked me to never shoot game in the head.

Cal
11-14-2012, 07:51 PM
ive done it, and absolutely by design. i snuck up on a bedded mule buck and got within 10 yards. i realized that was too close so i backed up just a bit....GASP!!!!!!......to 18 yards and shot him in the center of the back of his skull as he was facing away. 10 yards was too close to make a precision shot, and at 18, that hollow at the base of the skull was about the size of the hundreds of gophers i had shot that year. he never flinched.....just laid his head down, and i tagged him. i dont feel the slightest bit bad about it, but im sure the ethics goobers will be along to berate me for it right quick.

Glad it worked for you... once. For my dumb ass relative it has not worked... several times, even under the fairly controlled circomstances of a kill shot.

Therefore my own personal experience regarding neck shots with a bow have been overwhelmingly poor, I have never seen it pulled off cleanly to be honest. So tell me why I should encourage others to try it? Because a guy on an internet forum says it worked out for him... once?

Timberdoodle
11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
There are a lot more chances for things to go wrong with a head shot (spinal column/brain cavity) than a shot to the heart/lung area. I've had the displeasure of having to help dispatch two deer that a cowboy relative shot in the face/jaw while attempting to save some meat (some people don't learn the first time). Unless the animal is pretty close and pretty calm, i would say save the head shots for the gophers.

rwm1273
11-16-2012, 12:18 AM
I like to shoot my grouse in the head too. I use a .22 and so long as it is up to about max 50yrds, it gets it in the head.

CH4Sauce
11-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Might have jut knocked him out? Lol.