PDA

View Full Version : How old is this fella?

M4verick
11-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Trail Cam picture. He is checking out a scrape under the camera. I think he's an old guy. Weird Antler growth too. Nice fat neck on him though!

eggo
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Looks old has the old roman nose. Antlers look like there are normal just busted off

bush monkey
11-08-2012, 06:26 PM
holly, ya he looks old!

M4verick
11-08-2012, 06:34 PM
He aint pretty eh? Named him white trash.

flyguyd
11-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Looks like hes on the old age road to coyote bait

bush monkey
11-08-2012, 07:06 PM
He aint pretty eh? Named him white trash.

Ya, He looks to be in pretty decent shape though. Big bodied. Its nice to see the age class is there. Just doesn't have the head gear hey!

KegRiver
11-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't put him as old, but certainly middle aged and maybe older then he appears.

I agree with the others who say, he simply doesn't have the headgear one would expect for a middle aged buck.

bush monkey
11-08-2012, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't put him as old, but certainly middle aged and maybe older then he appears.

I agree with the others who say, he simply doesn't have the headgear one would expect for a middle aged buck.

I could be wrong, and have been before, but I would say this deer is past his prime. To me he shows all signs of a 5 1\2 year + deer. What do you guys see in your areas for age class on the top end? I think in my area, I would be hard pressed to get a 6-7+ old deer. maybe on occasion, but with winters\rut \predators,and so on, i think we lose the age class after a hard rut as a mature deer, which ends up subjected to the challenges after being run down. Im curiouse. I think that that deer has more of a genetic issue more thatn a downhill slide though.

walking buffalo
11-09-2012, 10:43 AM
A mature buck in his prime, with small antlers.

With the body on this guy, I bet he has no problem getting his share of the ladies.

KegRiver
11-09-2012, 10:51 AM
I could be wrong, and have been before, but I would say this deer is past his prime. To me he shows all signs of a 5 1\2 year + deer. What do you guys see in your areas for age class on the top end? I think in my area, I would be hard pressed to get a 6-7+ old deer. maybe on occasion, but with winters\rut \predators,and so on, i think we lose the age class after a hard rut as a mature deer, which ends up subjected to the challenges after being run down. Im curiouse. I think that that deer has more of a genetic issue more thatn a downhill slide though.

To be fair, I can only guess at age, but I would say he's a 5 or six years old.

Around here that could be considered old since I don't often see Bucks that appear any older.
On the other hand, it is certainly possible for a Buck to get to 12 or maybe more.

I think the oldest buck I ever saw was in that age range, 12 or so, and he was north of here, so who's to say. Is this guy old, by who's definition?