PDA

View Full Version : Hunting partner

Mr.longshot
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Hey there just looking for someone around peace river that has supplementa white tail doe tags or a mule doe tag for 527 wmu the ace where I hunt is way over populated with does and we need a few more taken out of there I will b going out sat morning so if u have the tags lets know u can hop in with me and we can go get them. This is a one time deal there is lots out there

huntin
11-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey there just looking for someone around peace river that has supplementa white tail doe tags or a mule doe tag for 527 wmu the ace where I hunt is way over populated with does and we need a few more taken out of there I will b going out sat morning so if u have the tags lets know u can hop in with me and we can go get them. This is a one time deal there is lots out there

You need to have your freaking head checked. With over 2 feet of snow then some warm weather now the bottom snow is going to be hard as hell. The deer population is going to take another hit this winter. 527 mule deer population is less than 1/2 of what it was 5 years ago.

huntin'fool
11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
You need to have your freaking head checked. With over 2 feet of snow then some warm weather now the bottom snow is going to be hard as hell. The deer population is going to take another hit this winter. 527 mule deer population is less than 1/2 of what it was 5 years ago.

Two ways to look at it....might as well eat them rather than see them starve to death and become coyote food.....just my opinion....

huntin
11-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Two ways to look at it....might as well eat them rather than see them starve to death and become coyote food.....just my opinion....

If you kill them now there is 0% chance of survival. At least they have a little chance this winter.

mike.t
11-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Guys trying to be nice, if I was close by id go. but hey some people just need to give there head a shake I guess:snapoutofit:

Lefty-Canuck
11-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Very nice of you to offer to take someone out to your spot!

LC

flygirrl
11-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Hunting forum, name of huntin, what am I missing.
I need some pop-corn

Lawnylap
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Why do you have to be like that? Or are you the ethics police? Did you buy and burn your supp tags?

huntin
11-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Hunting forum, name of huntin, what am I missing.
I need some pop-corn

Most hunters are conservationist. Even when our gov. Keeps giving out tags that are not needed peace country mule deer are in decline and have been for a while the doe slaughter needs to stop.

Stik'em
11-09-2012, 08:18 PM
If you kill them now there is 0% chance of survival. At least they have a little chance this winter.

So is there only 2 Deer in that WMU?? 1 Mule and 1 Whitetail Doe?? Cause if there's not then taking a deer each won't destroy the population.

Nice offer btw, wish I could go, but I'm taking my kids to the CFR.

Stik'em

huntin
11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Why do you have to be like that? Or are you the ethics police? Did you buy and burn your supp tags?

Nope why waste the money on buying them.

flygirrl
11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Most hunters are conservationist. Even when our gov. Keeps giving out tags that are not needed peace country mule deer are in decline and have been for a while the doe slaughter needs to stop.
Could it be a possibility that the amount of whitetail in the area are driving out the mule deer, may not be the only reason, but one of them. It's my understanding that whitetail are the more aggressive animal and will drive mule deer out of an area. If what you say is true that most hunters are conservationist and the population is declining than all the tags that srd put out would not be applied for being conservationists .So anyone that has a doe tag, be it whitetail or mule deer is not a conservationist?
Just trying to understand the logic. I'm reading your post to be incongruous.

crazyfish
11-09-2012, 08:52 PM

I believe that maybe you should be more understanding of someone who made a very generous offer . No laws are being broken , just a farmer who has an abundance of animals asking for the local herd to be thinned a little ! Congrats to the OP !
HUntin ...... Shame on you for having no respect for anyone else please keep the verbal diarrhea aimed elsewhere !

huntin
11-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Could it be a possibility that the amount of whitetail in the area are driving out the mule deer, may not be the only reason, but one of them. It's my understanding that whitetail are the more aggressive animal and will drive mule deer out of an area. If what you say is true that most hunters are conservationist and the population is declining than all the tags that srd put out would not be applied for being conservationists .So anyone that has a doe tag, be it whitetail or mule deer is not a conservationist?
Just trying to understand the logic. I'm reading your post to be incongruous.

Whitetail do not drive mule deer out. They will take and area over as they are more hardy of an animal. Mule deer need different food sources to survive. They can actually starve to death on straight hay or grain they need brows. And are wiped out by predators easier than white tails. I can see how people think whitetails push the muledeer out but answer me this where do they go. Do they have a special spot. If they are not in an area they once were they died out they did not get pushed out.

huntin
11-09-2012, 08:55 PM
I believe that maybe you should be more understanding of someone who made a very generous offer . No laws are being broken , just a farmer who has an abundance of animals asking for the local herd to be thinned a little ! Congrats to the OP !
HUntin ...... Shame on you for having no respect for anyone else please keep the verbal diarrhea aimed elsewhere !

No where does it say he is a farmer or from the area it just says he feels the area is over populated. I feel he is wrong.

flygirrl
11-09-2012, 08:59 PM
White-tailed deer do not physically “drive out” mule deer from an area; however, in some areas mule deer numbers are declining while white-tailed deer numbers are increasing. This change in species composition gives the appearance that the mule deer are being physically displaced. What actually is occurring is a gradual change in the vegetation that favors white-tailed deer.

In areas where the height and density of brush is increasing, the habitat is becoming more suitable for white-tailed deer and less desirable for mule deer.
As stated, there could be many reasons why mule deer are decreasing in that area. It just bothers me when I see another hunter calling other hunter non conservationists. Hunters will be the death of hunting...........

Stik'em
11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Huntin has nothing better to do then hijack a honest and thoughtful gesture for an invitaion to go hunting. Using it to voice his ANTI-hunting of does opinion, and because he doesn't shoot does cause sup tags are a waste of money it is wrong for everyone else to do, especially in the WMU he probably hunts in...plus because longshots 1 mule tag is going to wipe out the entire population there...

Stik'em

huntin
11-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Huntin has nothing better to do then hijack a honest and thoughtful gesture for an invitaion to go hunting. Using it to voice his ANTI-hunting of does opinion, and because he doesn't shoot does cause sup tags are a waste of money it is wrong for everyone else to do, especially in the WMU he probably hunts in...plus because longshots 1 mule tag is going to wipe out the entire population there...

Stik'em

I hope one day mornville has a 3 mule deer doe tag around there then you can watch half of Alberta destroy the population.

Alberta Bigbore
11-09-2012, 09:26 PM
No where does it say he is a farmer or from the area it just says he feels the area is over populated. I feel he is wrong.

and...you are entitled to your opinion:)

flygirrl
11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I hope one day mornville has a 3 mule deer doe tag around there then you can watch half of Alberta destroy the population.

That's disappointing... For a while there I thought you may have some valid points backed up by fact. I stand corrected:)

huntin
11-09-2012, 09:37 PM
That's disappointing... For a while there I thought you may have some valid points backed up by fact. I stand corrected:)

The fact is this year it may only be 1 tag. But for the last while it was 3 I have seen a single herd wiped out by one truck 6 people with 3 anterless tags each. Why because the can.

finsnfeathers
11-09-2012, 11:09 PM

I'd be in for this bud, if it wasn't so far from home! Certainly want to thank you for posting! Great gesture.

walking buffalo
11-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Great offer Longshot! :)

:)

White-tailed deer do not physically “drive out” mule deer from an area; however, in some areas mule deer numbers are declining while white-tailed deer numbers are increasing. This change in species composition gives the appearance that the mule deer are being physically displaced. What actually is occurring is a gradual change in the vegetation that favors white-tailed deer.

In areas where the height and density of brush is increasing, the habitat is becoming more suitable for white-tailed deer and less desirable for mule deer.
As stated, there could be many reasons why mule deer are decreasing in that area. It just bothers me when I see another hunter calling other hunter non conservationists. Hunters will be the death of hunting...........

Interesting theory.... :thinking-006:

WT deer actually will physically drive Mule deer out of an area. WT deer are more physically aggessive and will dominate territory. As an area has limited resources, over time WT deer actual push MD to extripation.

Another way WT deer "push" MD out of an area is through sex.

Read "Mule Deer Country" by Valerius Geist, you will enjoy it. :)

Mr.longshot
11-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Ok who would have thought that me asking if maybe one or two guy wanted to come out and have a lil fun shooting some does and meeting new people would have caused this and to this huntin guy what is it to u if I get a few people to come out and fill some of there tags where I hunt it's legal unless it has just changed and it is now illegal to b a nice guy. Where I hunt has plenty of deer both mule and white tail but hay huntin pls feel free to chirp back in on this to every one else I still wouldn't mind taking some one out there it's a good spot lots of deer would b good for kid or new hunter. I can't stop thinking how that guy just robed my post that makes me a lil mad with all the a**holes in this would I try and do something nice and he turns it around like I have 100 guys with 2 tags each and here we go to kill the declining deer population haha some people's kids

catnthehat
11-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Whitetail do not drive mule deer out. They will take and area over as they are more hardy of an animal. Mule deer need different food sources to survive. They can actually starve to death on straight hay or grain they need brows. And are wiped out by predators easier than white tails. I can see how people think whitetails push the muledeer out but answer me this where do they go. Do they have a special spot. If they are not in an area they once were they died out they did not get pushed out.

White tails and mule deer feed and live amongst each other up here with no problems, amd we get them together in Westlock as well.
According to Dr. Val Geist they are disapearing for other reasons.
Cat

Zip
11-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Ok who would have thought that me asking if maybe one or two guy wanted to come out and have a lil fun shooting some does and meeting new people would have caused this and to this huntin guy what is it to u if I get a few people to come out and fill some of there tags where I hunt it's legal unless it has just changed and it is now illegal to b a nice guy. Where I hunt has plenty of deer both mule and white tail but hay huntin pls feel free to chirp back in on this to every one else I still wouldn't mind taking some one out there it's a good spot lots of deer would b good for kid or new hunter. I can't stop thinking how that guy just robed my post that makes me a lil mad with all the a**holes in this would I try and do something nice and he turns it around like I have 100 guys with 2 tags each and here we go to kill the declining deer population haha some people's kids

Don't let him get to you Mr.longshot...you were only doing a favour for anybody to go along with you...Good on Ya for that. I hunt in wmu 523/544 and we are getting overrun with muley does here as well,matter of fact right here in my field i see 2 does each with 3 fawns every day...and that is within about 300 yds of leaving the house....I hope somebody takes you up on your offer and brings a young one with him...great teaching opportunity you have provided....hope it works out and Thank -You for doing something that no body can complain about...even huntin !!
Have a great day while out hunting today...it is our right!!
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip

Cal
11-10-2012, 07:39 AM
I was under the impression that Huntin' was right, and the mule population was still trying to recover. I work with alot of guys in that area that think that they are doing pretty good though, I dont live out there so I cant say. All I can say is that some of us who live in the areas that others merely hunt in can get pretty owly when we see other people doing things that we think are detrimental to "our deer". I see it happen all over the place on this board and as anoying as it is sometimes I'm glad to see it.

What I do know is that for Mule deer are starting to show up around Red Earth. I saw one about 20k north just off hwy88, I told a couple guys at the Sawn Lake plant and they said that they had seen a few too this year, as well as down in Otter Lake. One can only speculate that they are moving in from the Peace side which logicly would imply that they are doing fairly well out there. Just my observations.

Speckle55
11-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Great Offer Mr Longshot..:sHa_shakeshout:

lots of info on Mulies vs Whitetails and reading:reading:

:thinking-006:In Alberta in 2008 16300 animals were hit by vehicals and 13500 were deer and the cost in insurance claims was $250 million

:test:on Vancouver Island Blacktail deer tags are up too 10
in some States they get 10 WT tags or others get 1 WT tag a Day
in Maine 1 in 37 drivers will hit a deer each year
WT deer are now in Alaska
Deer in North America are very well and I agree with Val Geist on the fate of the mule deer .. allthough diesase will/could change these numbers very fast in local areas as it has

even with the winter kills Alberta has very little issue with Deer numbers that Mother Nature will not rebound if you look at the Historical numbers

IMO

David:)