PDA

View Full Version : Would you feel confident with a .204 for wolf?

heretohunt
11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
If so to what distance?
Seems good due to the small entrance hole and no exit. I'm useing it for coyotes and it is likely that an opportunity for a wolf will present itself.
Any body have any experience?

huntin
11-09-2012, 07:27 PM
I plan on trying it out this winter

cowmanbob
11-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I've shot 3 with a 204. All took multiple shots to kill.Wouldn't recommend it. Possibly with the heaviest bullets it may work.

unclebuck
11-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Knocked 2 down, but it took a second shot for one of them. One was at about 150 yds, and the other was about 200. I have no hesitation in using it with 40gr. V-Max.

Tundra Monkey
11-09-2012, 07:45 PM
It would not be my preferred cal.

I've taken quite a few in my lifetime up here and used from a 22lr to a 300wm.

My "wolf gun" is now my 257bee in an Ultralight.....sure nice to carry on a sled (we are legal to chase them buggers down up here).

They are pretty tough critters and can travel a fair bit after they're hit.....especially if not hit really well. The majority of shots are when they are moving so "picking" the vitals is questionable most of the time. It's easy to plunk one but the rest tend to get a little uneasy about things. They tend to bolt pretty quickly once they see the ol' sled as well. Hit em' hard is a good motto.

They are classified as "big game" up here and we must use a 243 or larger. There is a caveat that as long as you are North of the treeline you can use smaller calibers (22-250 is a real good one :)) Several of my friends from waaay up there use 17's.....but they're usually within 10' of em' when they pull the trigger. They love the minimal damage.

I'm sure a 204 would work in ideal conditions....but again, it would not be my first choice. :happy0180:

heretohunt
11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I was thinking that I was under gunned. I'll probably develop a heavyweight load and hope for the best. For the times that I am targeting wolves i'll take the seven. Shoot two and use one for a patch.

IR_mike
11-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Seeings how its legal for big game in some juristictions it would be nice if someone would make a dedicated controlled expansion bullet in .20 calibre.

Tundra Monkey
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Shoot two and use one for a patch.

I've been using tsx's for the last couple years with not too much damage. Sort of pencil in and out.

heretohunt
11-10-2012, 10:14 AM
I've been using tsx's for the last couple years with not too much damage. Sort of pencil in and out.

That's good to know. I've been shooting coyotes with my seven and it just about cuts them in two.