PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl

H380
11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Saw my first snowy owl of the year Nov.2 , way down south here in 108... seems pretty early but maybe she was a forerunner of this storm . Any one else see one yet ?

IR_mike
11-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Seen one up here yesterday.

winger7mm
11-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I havent seen any yet, I seen my first one last winter yote hunting. Those are some pretty sweet ass birds :) I cant wait till I see my first one for 2012 :sHa_shakeshout:

IR_mike
11-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Tundra monkey claims they taste good as well.

caver77
11-09-2012, 08:33 PM

I imagine they must taste something a lot like........

Tundra Monkey
11-09-2012, 08:45 PM

Yes they do :)

I can't seem to post the pic of the lunch but I can e-mail it to someone who wants to give it a kick.

:happy0180:

Stufferdog
11-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Just had one in my backyard yesterday, right here in Cow town...Landed right on a frosty base!
Bruin

Alberta Bigbore
11-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Just had one in my backyard yesterday, right here in Cow town...Landed right on a frosty base!
Bruin

That looks great!

Tundra Monkey
Great pic Stufferdog.....you can sure see the yellow in the eyes. Crazy when you see it up close!!

They are truly a beautiful bird......but that one looks a lil' pizzed!!!!!!!!!!

H380
Bruin

So that's where she went .. lol.

Tundra Monkey
11-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Here was lunch.

Three of these (and I mean the entire bird other than feathers) in a pot of boiling water and a packet of onion soup mix. I was pretty hungry.....and it was wayyyyy better than I thought it was gonna be.

IR_mike
11-09-2012, 10:08 PM
^^^^^^ 2/3 look headshot....what calibre?

icefisher11
11-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Here was lunch.

Three of these (and I mean the entire bird other than feathers) in a pot of boiling water and a packet of onion soup mix. I was pretty hungry.....and it was wayyyyy better than I thought it was gonna be.

Whats the deal with the Three dead Owls ? How did they die ?

albertadeer
11-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Here was lunch.

This is hilarious.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Tundra Monkey
11-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Whats the deal with the Three dead Owls ? How did they die ?

They got shot for lunch....fed 9 of us :happy0180:

IR_Mike:

Left to right:

22-250 - 22-250 - 270wsm

Actually all three were head shots. All about the eats :)

albertadeer
11-09-2012, 10:26 PM

IR_Mike:

Left to right:

22-250 - 22-250 - 270wsm

Again...Hilarious...Hows Arctic tern taste??

I have seen a couple Snowy's around GP this month. Got some good video of one hunting.

icefisher11
11-09-2012, 10:29 PM

IR_Mike:

Left to right:

22-250 - 22-250 - 270wsm

You actually eat Owls ? How do they taste ?

Are they Not Protected ?

IR_mike
11-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Wekk Tundra I just might have to throw a red tail on the rotissarie next summer... :sick: :wave: :).

Tundra Monkey
11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
You actually eat Owls ? How do they taste ?

I normally don't......but they are really good :medium-smiley-035:

Here's the whole story in point form:

I was on Victoria Island and hunting out of Holman.

We travelled 180 miles down the Prince Albert Sound (8 Inuit guides and myself) to meet 4 clients that were to meet us at that location. We never did get all the way down due to weather....wound up stopping about 140 miles down and building a runway for them to come in on.

When we got up the first morning the guys asked me what I wanted for brekky. I said I'd eat what they did and to save the western food for the clients. I did not know what I was getting myself into :sign0161:

On that trip I ate: swan, owl, char (boiled/dried/frozen), seal (intestines was the first thing cooked...kinda like calamari), musk-ox (frozen/boiled), caribou (boiled/frozen/even dried caribou lung), frozen muktuk (whale) and more tea than they have in China.

We were sitting in a small cabin when an owl flew by and landed about 100m from us. One of the elders said it had been awhile since he had owl so out came an ol' 303 and the "best" shot in the bunch managed to miss it. Three of us walked two miles to shoot that one and on our way back we spotted 2 more fighting over food in the flats when the tide was out. Problem was they were a few miles away. "Ya wanna go get em' " I was asked....."Well, there is 9 of us I said."

So off we trotted....half way there we stopped for an hour to watch three ox scrappin'......very powerful. TV does not do it justice.

Needless to say we got the other 2 owls. Made for a couple happy elders and full tummies.

The owls were shot by Inuits.....they also have another owl up there that they hunt. I believe it is called a "Short Earred Owl". They actively hunt them up there.

I could write for hours about this trip......it was an experience that I will always treasure....truly incredible.

edit> I've never had tern.....and I forgot to add eider duck and seagull eggs in my list of eats :)

edit #2> Yes they are protected......white guys can't shoot em'.

icefisher11
11-09-2012, 11:18 PM
I normally don't......but they are really good :medium-smiley-035:

Here's the whole story in point form:

I was on Victoria Island and hunting out of Holman.

We travelled 180 miles down the Prince Albert Sound (8 Inuit guides and myself) to meet 4 clients that were to meet us at that location. We never did get all the way down due to weather....wound up stopping about 140 miles down and building a runway for them to come in on.

When we got up the first morning the guys asked me what I wanted for brekky. I said I'd eat what they did and to save the western food for the clients. I did not know what I was getting myself into :sign0161:

On that trip I ate: swan, owl, char (boiled/dried/frozen), seal (intestines was the first thing cooked...kinda like calamari), musk-ox (frozen/boiled), caribou (boiled/frozen/even dried caribou lung), frozen muktuk (whale) and more tea than they have in China.

We were sitting in a small cabin when an owl flew by and landed about 100m from us. One of the elders said it had been awhile since he had owl so out came an ol' 303 and the "best" shot in the bunch managed to miss it. Three of us walked two miles to shoot that one and on our way back we spotted 2 more fighting over food in the flats when the tide was out. Problem was they were a few miles away. "Ya wanna go get em' " I was asked....."Well, there is 9 of us I said."

So off we trotted....half way there we stopped for an hour to watch three ox scrappin'......very powerful. TV does not do it justice.

Needless to say we got the other 2 owls. Made for a couple happy elders and full tummies.

The owls were shot by Inuits.....they also have another owl up there that they hunt. I believe it is called a "Short Earred Owl". They actively hunt them up there.

I could write for hours about this trip......it was an experience that I will always treasure....truly incredible.

edit> I've never had tern.....and I forgot to add eider duck and seagull eggs in my list of eats :)

edit #2> Yes they are protected......white guys can't shoot em'.

thats Crazy
Awesome experience though. Something Most people will never get to do.

Tundra Monkey
11-09-2012, 11:25 PM
It's an amazing place Icefisher. I was truly blessed to work with them up there and experience it first hand. I can't wait to go back up....one day soon I hope.

The community still holds true to their culture. It is slowly changing but they are really trying to pass it along to the younger generation. Not a lot written down and mostly passed on verbally.....but they're working on it. Not many places in the world left like that for sure.

It is an amazing culture.

waterninja
11-10-2012, 01:02 PM
saw one snowey and 4 grey owls last week near edson-hinton area. i'll post pics soon.

Blade
11-10-2012, 01:07 PM
seen a large one just south of didsbury on thursday first time this far south!beautiful bird!