PDA

View Full Version : Not allowed to hunt on your own land?

TOG
11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
I heard this today from another fellow hunter. He said that if you post no hunting on your own land to help keep unwelcome hunters off. You then are no longer allowed to hunt your land your self. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

threeforthree
11-10-2012, 01:32 PM
ull shi

Sledhead71
11-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Nota, private property you do as you see fit, no restrictions other than the obvious to the owner of said property.

mark-edmonton
11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Can't see it being true but I have heard that many times before

Big Daddy Badger
11-10-2012, 01:41 PM
It is not true in Alberta.
Apparently it might have been at one time and it may be in a couple of other provinces but not here.

This came up last year and someone had the info at hand.

Makes sense if you think about it.

If you put a sign up on your lawn telling folks to stay off the grass....would bylaw hammer you for stepping on it yourself?

elkhunter11
11-10-2012, 01:43 PM
It's just another myth that people keep spreading.

MKD
11-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Some little kid told me the other day he saw the easter Bunny!

oddsix
11-10-2012, 01:47 PM
It's your property you can post it no hunting and hunt it for yourself sfterall it is your property. Everyone that says you can't is jealous and wants to hunt your property. Get them to show you where it says you can't. - bet they can't find the legislation.

hiddenwalleye
11-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Alberta Government changed that law a few years back, if it's your land, GO HUNT!!

Can you Imagine confronting a Land Owner that he can't Hunt his own Land!!..:Lightning:

:acigar:

HW

elkhunter11
11-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Alberta Government changed that law a few years back, if it's your land, GO HUNT!!

If it was changed, it was changed quite a few years back, as in decades back.

waterninja
11-10-2012, 02:07 PM
at one time if you posted no hunting signs on your land you were not allowed to hunt it yourself, so you would post "no tresspassing" signs. not sure what the law is now.

pickrel pat
11-10-2012, 02:07 PM
If you post your land with no hunting, you are not allowed to hunt it yourself within city limits at night.

TheLegend
11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
your friend is messed up. Of course you can hunt on your own posted land.

H380
11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
If you post your land with no hunting, you are not allowed to hunt it yourself within city limits at night.

You forgot no using spot lights either .. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

landowner
11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Its like "no parking in the driveway sign" , you can still park in your driveway and you can let your neighbor park there if you so wish.

Hagalaz
11-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I heard this today from another fellow hunter. He said that if you post no hunting on your own land to help keep unwelcome hunters off. You then are no longer allowed to hunt your land your self. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

This is news to me. My grandfather's land was always posted 'No Hunting', but that is where I learned to hunt.

There may have been a law concerning it once upon a time, but I think that its been gone for a good many years.

flygirrl
11-10-2012, 03:17 PM
In New Brunswick you post your land with yellow discs, permission only, red discs, no hunting, discs were obtained at fish and wildlife office, you put your name and contact # on it if you allowed hunters. This also meant the landowner to. Don't know if it has changed as I haven't hunted there for 14 years. But N.B is a whole new kettle of fish when it comes to hunting, gun in case 1/2 hour after sunset, firearms transportation permit to go to range during non hunting season........endless.

Big Daddy Badger
11-10-2012, 03:42 PM
If it was changed, it was changed quite a few years back, as in decades back.

I think it was so at one time.
My father grew up here and they farmed.... I'm pretty sure it was that way when he was a kid.
But he was born in 37 so...

Big Daddy Badger
11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
This is news to me. My grandfather's land was always posted 'No Hunting', but that is where I learned to hunt.

There may have been a law concerning it once upon a time, but I think that its been gone for a good many years.

Who knows?
...doesn't mean it was ever enforced even if it was so.

fishcop669
11-10-2012, 03:47 PM
I can understand how you could be confused because a friend said this was true - but your friend is wrong - this MYTH has NEVER been, and is NOT the law in Alberta - "no hunting" signs are simply a private landowner's method of displaying their intentions in public view. They are for everyone who are driving/walking by who might want to hunt there but have not obtained the owner's explicit permission. If the owner says you can hunt there (I recommend a signed letter) - then the signs don't apply to you, and obviously they don't apply to the owner themselves.

This myth implies that if you own land - you MUST allow every other Tom, Dick and Harry to hunt it or you can't hunt it yourself - which totally ignores private ownership rights.

There should be a "sticky" on this forum called "MYTHBUSTERS"

lone wolf
11-10-2012, 03:53 PM
There should be a "sticky" on this forum called "MYTHBUSTERS"

I love this idea, as there seems to be a lot of misconceptions and half-truths floating around.

leo
11-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I think it was so at one time.
My father grew up here and they farmed.... I'm pretty sure it was that way when he was a kid.
But he was born in 37 so...

My dad was born in 1921, He told me he had never seen a "no hunting" sign his whole life until the mid 80's.

dmac
11-10-2012, 04:17 PM
and who exactly do you think is going to tell the landowner that he cannot hunt of his own land. The gestapo?:snapoutofit:

Battle Rat
11-10-2012, 05:49 PM
You could be in trouble if you phoned the fish cops, reported yourself for not giving yourself permission and then filing charges against yourself.
That would be a case real low self esteem.

Big Daddy Badger
11-10-2012, 06:40 PM
My dad was born in 1921, He told me he had never seen a "no hunting" sign his whole life until the mid 80's.

Loike I said...the whole idea doesn't make sense anyway.

Lets face it most of those signs usually don't even mean no hunting ...
they mean no hunting without permission.

TBark
11-10-2012, 06:51 PM
True pesky,
but unposted land also means no hunting without permission.

TBark