PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake Rainbows?

Levy
11-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Anyone ever catch one? The Medley River is stocked with Rainbows and its a cold lake tributary. Its only a matter of a few kilometers between the stocking points and the Lake. The reason I'm asking is because my cousin swears he caught some sort of weird trout this spring, near birch bay. He didn't have a camera, but described it as pinkish on the sides, no spots like a lake trout, smaller head, really fat, small scales,and 62 cm so they didn't keep it. Anyone else have, or hear of a similar catch?

fishman
11-10-2012, 05:48 PM
I fished it 20 years ago and never a scent of a trout and have talked to afew others with same results....they have stocked it for years maybe the bows are in one area of the river or they head for the lake

greylynx
11-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Given that there is a chance of Bkd in our hatchery popuation... I don't think so.

Levy
11-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I caught two last summer and have fished it a few times since with no luck. I hiked about two km down and it looks like excellent trout habitat, well oxygenated, big rocks and nice over hangs, with clear water and a few deep pools. There is no shortage of feed. Its a great place to get bait, every inch of that creek is full of lake chubs. Im sure they must stock it far from the highway. When i asked the Biologist where they stock it because i was having no luck told me in a few places (never mentioned anywhere in particular) and that he thought it might be fished out this year and that was late june. I don't see how that could be if it was only open for a few weeks. It seemed awfully fishy to me. I think its a pretty exclusive club that fish there and they aren't about to share the spots, or techniques.