PDA

View Full Version : Where does everyone get their smelts?

DisplacedCaper
11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey guys, ice fishing season is coming up pretty quick and I cant help but wonder, Where does everyone get their smelts from?

trainerdave
11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
superstore

vcmm
11-15-2012, 09:15 PM
from the smelter:scared0018:

DisplacedCaper
11-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm gonna have to try the grocery stores this year. Every year when I go out for pike or Burbs I get the jar of what I think are called gold eyes or something from wholesale or CT. But have limited luck, and end up tossing the jar the following year when cleaning out my gear.

EZM
11-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Superstore - they end up less than half the price you would pay at one of the fishing/outdoors stores.

FishingFrenzy
11-15-2012, 09:28 PM
South Common Superstore has them in the seafood section. They get in different sizes so you have to check every few weeks to see what they have.

Gust
11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Oh well, time to share secrets; I pay gypsie children in naples to streal them from unsuspecting seniors fishing shin beach on the west side of italy or east-south east of malta,,, I then have them wrapped in the finest primrose yellow taffeta and have them shipped via an italian dress designer to the fashion district of nyc,,, from there tthey are repacked in ny giants jerseys to a sports outlet (forzanis) in calgary, where they are then hand oiled by veteran italian cfl players and then gently placed head-tail-head-tail in the most costly ziplock lunch bags you can find, you know, the ones that you can shake upsidedown while filled with water and a lone goldfish above a blender running on the puree setting,, the key is the bags,,,,, then they are delivered to my door by more italians in disguise as girl guides selling cookies (if they would shave a bit more, the disguise would be beleivable, so they look like gorrillas in plaid skirts and brown bibs,,, then I put them in my freezer.

When off season, I get them from sobeys for $1.50.

fishermansfriend
11-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Oh well, time to share secrets; I pay gypsie children in naples to streal them from unsuspecting seniors fishing shin beach on the west side of italy or east-south east of malta,,, I then have them wrapped in the finest primrose yellow taffeta and have them shipped via an italian dress designer to the fashion district of nyc,,, from there tthey are repacked in ny giants jerseys to a sports outlet (forzanis) in calgary, where they are then hand oiled by veteran italian cfl players and then gently placed head-tail-head-tail in the most costly ziplock lunch bags you can find, you know, the ones that you can shake upsidedown while filled with water and a lone goldfish above a blender running on the puree setting,, the key is the bags,,,,, then they are delivered to my door by more italians in disguise as girl guides selling cookies (if they would shave a bit more, the disguise would be beleivable, so they look like gorrillas in plaid skirts and brown bibs,,, then I put them in my freezer.

When off season, I get them from sobeys for $1.50.

slow night hey?! lol:bad_boys_20:

Gust
11-15-2012, 10:16 PM
slow night hey?! lol:bad_boys_20:

You have no idea,,,,

Oh well here goes,,, set up to leave at 5:00am but car needed some work,, changed the spark plugs but car still running rough, too rough to chance the trip,,, very very very very very very very angry,,,, did I mention that I am very very angry?

gordfishing
11-15-2012, 10:33 PM
the best smelt I ever had success with was the headless cleaned and I believe Chilean from Superstore have not seen for a while but they were unbelievable caught two pike over 40 inches
believe it or not

fishermansfriend
11-15-2012, 10:41 PM
You have no idea,,,,

Oh well here goes,,, set up to leave at 5:00am but car needed some work,, changed the spark plugs but car still running rough, too rough to chance the trip,,, very very very very very very very angry,,,, did I mention that I am very very angry?

where were you gonna go?

Gust
11-15-2012, 10:50 PM
where were you gonna go?

Somwhere down near the u.s,, southern alberti.

Soooooooooo angry.

To the op and like buddy said above, the headless smelts are killer, havent seen em in awhile either,,,, whole filleted squid (not the rings) is good too, tentacles are great for jigging.

So miffed right now.

huntin'fool
11-15-2012, 11:22 PM
another vote for superstore

DisplacedCaper
11-16-2012, 12:14 AM
It's definatley sounding like superstore then:test:

BeeGuy
11-16-2012, 12:17 AM
T&t

it's dynomite!

New Hunter Okotoks
11-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Another little tidbit, Superstore sells really nice, fresh Herring in the fresh food section at times. The Herring are 6-9 inches long and come about 8-10 per pack for about $3.00.

It's funny how Herring that is deemed fit for human consumption is cheaper than bait.

BeeGuy
11-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Another little tidbit, Superstore sells really nice, fresh Herring in the fresh food section at times. The Herring are 6-9 inches long and come about 8-10 per pack for about $3.00.

It's funny how Herring that is deemed fit for human consumption is cheaper than bait.

I usually get baits that fall under that category.

Either way we gots dinner!

jacenbeers
11-16-2012, 08:42 AM
T&T like BeeGuy said as well as Hong King International Market. They are quarter of the price there then at a bait shop. I was in Superstore last night so I ended up stocking up there but normally I would go to one of the other stores.

Geezle
11-16-2012, 08:52 AM
T&T or Superstore, in that order.

Darren57
11-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Yes T&T, supper store or any sea food store should have a good selection of smelt, herring, sardines for less $ than packaged bait. I have bought from the one in the strip mall accross from the hospital/Shell/Tims' in the NW off 16 ave. Its a lot quicker to get in and out of a place like that than a superstore and around the same price.

Rhino81
11-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I can tell you but then I would have to kill you. But seriously pm me if you want the place. These smelt are no joke. Don't compare to any other for size and presentation.