PDA

View Full Version : Bella Coola, BC

Dark
05-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Just wondering if anyone has made the trip from Bella Coola To Shearwater by boat? If so any advice

Jamie
05-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Dark, my wife has made that trip numerous times. (She taught at Bella Bella)
What questions would you like answered.

Jamie

Dark
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks Jamie, we are boating from Bella Coola to Shearwater/Bella Bella

Just curious as to what to expect in the way of sea conditions at the end of June, should we expect rough and foggy seas up the Dean channel? How about weather at the last week of June any sunshine, lol? Any sights we should stop and see. How about crabbing spots or better yet prawns?. Halibut holes would be great. What is the average time by boat from Bella Coola to Bella Bella? we cruise at about 22 mph. How long by ferry from Bella Coola.

Walleyes
05-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Damn Dark,,, you are asking a lot of the same questions that have been running through my mind lately...

I am not sure if you are aware or not but there is a very good forum over on the SportFishing B.C. web site, it is a very informative site.. It has been a very good source of information for myself and many others I know.. I recently asked very close to the same question over on that site and got back some very good info, you may want to give it a look.. If you are an avid west coast fisherman you will enjoy the site...

Dark
05-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Ya walleyes I seen you name on the BC sport fishing forum, I asked you if you were you, you haven't replied I guess you are you lol. I posted there a couple of days ago
We enjoy the west coast I like to do it on my own meaning no guides. I hope to make it to rupert later this summer or maybe just maybe the QCI.
Spent quite abit if time on the QCI, fishing is 2nd to none as far as I'm concerned. I decided to try Bella Coola to avoid the Ferry If it pans out might make Bella Coola A yearly thing

Jamie
05-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Bella/Bella is a place I want to hit.
I also am a HUGE fan of the QCI.. I just do it with someone else driving the boat!!
What do you do for equipment? Do you just rent your own boat? Or take one with you?
I have been giving HUGE hints about getting my own Islander MR2 reel!! So far I have told to shut up...
When we take guided trips now, The guide drives the boat, takes us to where the fish are and takes care of the fish when we get back. At first it wasnt like that. The damn line would have to snap off the down rigger before we would notice it, then he wanted to set the hook, then he wanted to tell us how to reel it in, then he wanted to net it... That got old.. but we did have to learn.. Now I can tell when a fish just swims by my hook:evilgrin: :evilgrin:
I love Salmon fishing. This year we are off to PR for a 4 day trip. I am looking forward to seeing a new area.

Jamie

BTW, I will let my wife answer your questions in the AM. Though I think you will get a better response from that BC page.

stiknfish
05-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey Dark,I too am doing the same trip but on August 25th.I have been going to Shearwater for the past 5 years in a row.We stay at Whiskey cove..great people.Please post how the trip is from Bella Coola To Shearwater as this is the first time we will be doing the boat trip, we usually fly in to Denny Island but decided to take our own boat this year and rent another one from whiskey Cove.there will be 5 of us so one boat is not enough.The fishing can be great ,last year we brought our limit in chinooks with the biggest being 35lbs and the biggest halibut was the same,Not too big but good times nevertheless.There are some trophy cohos in the area , and you do not need to travel far to find them.Good luck to you and I hope it is as good as it can be.:)

Stiknfish

Dark
05-23-2008, 08:37 AM
We take our own boat used to be an 18 ft but we just purchased a 22 ft aluminum cuddy. (see pictures) I have done the guided trips and I also spent 2 months in QCI guiding on a 27 ft boat when I was a younger lad. I find for the price of one all inclusive I could set up my boat with the equipment to do it my self.
Ya I spent more than a few days without fish but once I figure out an area I usaully do ok. I really enjoy doing my own thing plus once you are set up the cost are minimul compared to all inclusives. I can spent 2 wks one the coast for the cost of one all inclusive. Just have to find the time.

SNAPFisher
05-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Nice boats Dark! I don't know about you guys but that 2nd pic with the aluminum and the surrounding area "shivers me timbers!". Something about a boat on that kind of water, with that dense forest and rocky shore....the anticipation ....
Can't wait! I'm heading to the QCI in August but self-guided using their stuff. Next step, what Dark is doing. One day....

Dark
05-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Ya snap that 2nd pic is Rennal Sound QCI, you have the new boat should be fine on the wet coast. I found that Sandspit was a nice base camp. I not sure about the new boat this will be are first west coast trip with it but it was custom made for the coast. The way I look at it is every year it would cost me about 6 grand to go all inclusive for 2, thats alot of equipment. Here's a couple more for ya. The first one is surfing down a nice size wave, the 2nd is a little bay that we did some beach combing on