PDA

View Full Version : Smoking white fish

fishtank
11-17-2012, 06:59 PM
last year i brought a old smoke house( 7 racks and a coil burner and cast iron pan and some wood chips) off a lady out in sangudo ,this year iam planning to put it to use and do some smoke white fish

what temperature should i be smoking the fish in ,also for how long ?? don't want to dry em out.

i did some deer jerky i think i left em for too long( over night):(

slingshotz
11-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Depends if you plan on hot or cold smoking them. Hot smoking is basically like baking in an oven, I usually smoke my whitefish for about 30-45 min depending on how big it is. I have never measured the heat in my smoker as I put the whole thing over a bed of coals. I'm guessing it is about 110C and slowly cools off as the coals die.

I do not have a lot of experience cold smoking, but it is ideally done at 25C for a day or more.

Alder and maple are my favourite as the wood doesn't impart too harsh a flavour for fish compared to hickory and oak.

Levy
11-18-2012, 04:22 AM
I always do mine around 90 on a weekend and start in the morning. I use red willow shavings. We recently had the road by our farm widened and they mulched many willows. I will have mountains of shaving for this winter. Can't wait for some primrose eyes, and whites.

fishtank
11-18-2012, 02:31 PM
thanks yes it'll be hot smoking. So for using charcoal how many piece do you put in there, do you lay them flat or build it up like a pile ?? ( i have some of those kingsford one that are 2 inch by 2 inch)

Wild&Free
11-18-2012, 03:15 PM
coil burner and charcoal? seems overkill.

fishtank
11-18-2012, 11:43 PM
coil burner and charcoal? seems overkill.

no coil burner, just the charcoal in a pan .

Wild&Free
11-19-2012, 08:10 AM
no coil burner, just the charcoal in a pan .

your first post says coil burner so there's the confusion.

Red Bullets
11-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I use red willow shavings.

X2 - the best smoke for whitefish. Better than candy.