PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing line

mattpreat
11-18-2012, 01:26 PM
with hardwater season coming quickly i need to get a new line for my jigging rod, as from what ive seen 10lb is to heavy for what i do. last year i used the berkley cold weather line and that wasnt great, and i have no experience on whats good. right now im thinking of buying some 4lb for trout and perch meant for summer fishing and 10lb for walleye and pike, but really i have no clue. what do you guys use for ice fishing?

BeeGuy
11-18-2012, 01:39 PM
I have 10lb power pro

I then make my rigs out of 4, 6, 8, 17, 30 or 50 lb

Depending on what I'm targeting

Cal
11-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I use 10 lb braid or mono on a MH rod for pike and walleye, 6lb mono on a ML rod for anything smaller as well as more finess walleye fishing.

fishtank
11-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I have 10lb power pro

always be prepared :fighting0030:

i use a 10 lb line for whitefish , they get pretty big @ pigeon

AdamJ
11-18-2012, 02:47 PM
always be prepared :fighting0030:

i use a 10 lb line for whitefish , they get pretty big @ pigeon

X2
I use 10lb fluoro for whites/perch/trout. Nice to have good line, usually hook into a 6 or 7 lb whitie every couple of trips. Overkill for perch, but I use the same rod for all three. The perch dont seem to care.
20lb fluoro for walleye 'n burbs
30lb braid for pike.

mattpreat
11-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I have 10lb power pro

i like the idea of 10lb powerpro, have always used it in the summer and done good.

X2
I use 10lb fluoro for whites/perch/trout. Nice to have good line, usually hook into a 6 or 7 lb whitie every couple of trips. Overkill for perch, but I use the same rod for all three. The perch dont seem to care.
20lb fluoro for walleye 'n burbs
30lb braid for pike.

wouldnt the pike be able to bite through the 30lb braid? My dad always taught me that anything but a steel leader wouldnt stand a chance against a pikes teeth

WayneChristie
11-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Im using my sturgeon reels on short rods, since I mostly target big pike in the winter. (not that I always get big ones) so my spinning reel is spooled with 50 pound suffix 832 and my baitcasting reel with 80 pound. Use 50 pound fluoro leader material mostly, or if the walleye are biting just tie a jig directly to the 50 pound.

fishermansfriend
11-18-2012, 04:37 PM
When im fishing for burbs or smaller fish (perch) i use 6 lbs mono everything else i use 10-15lb braid. Keep the line off the ice and edges of your holes and your good.

AdamJ
11-18-2012, 05:10 PM
i like the idea of 10lb powerpro, have always used it in the summer and done good.

wouldnt the pike be able to bite through the 30lb braid? My dad always taught me that anything but a steel leader wouldnt stand a chance against a pikes teeth

You bet they could bite through. I always use a steel leader, just didn't mention it as I assumed it went without saying.

Fly fishing for them is different however......

mattpreat
11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
You bet they could bite through. I always use a steel leader, just didn't mention it as I assumed it went without saying.

Fly fishing for them is different however......

was just curious what you did, with all the talk of using flouro leaders instead of steel got wondering how far people pushed it without getting bit of all the time

maverick_8teen
11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I use 10lb braided meant for ice fishing, it's got the strength for something bigger yet a thinner profile. My personal all around go to.

mattpreat
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I use 10lb braided meant for ice fishing, it's got the strength for something bigger yet a thinner profile. My personal all around go to.

what brand is that line? the only line like braided meant for ice fishing ive heard of is the berkley fireline and ive never really liked the stuff, but then again never really gave it a good honest try

wildcat111
11-18-2012, 06:21 PM
i never use anything bigger than 6 lb, never use that cold water line find that its junk, caught some big pike with the 6 lb

maverick_8teen
11-18-2012, 06:44 PM
To be honest I can't remember. It is not fire line. It has a blue coating on it that does eventually wear off, either by touching it or it going into the water. I picked it up at bass pro and will see about stopping in tomorrow to take a took. I was gonna get some new gear this season anyway.

GummyMonster
11-18-2012, 11:04 PM
I am a gear junkie, I fish with 5 people, and have an honest 20 rod setups. Mostly walmart combos and a couple better ones.In my experience, I have almost never lost a pike without a steel leader.On tip ups I use them, but in live lines, I have not had any problem.( maybe i have only been lucky!!)
My last two snipe lake trips, while after whites. I caught and landed a 7 and a 5.5 pound pike. Both on wire worms and six pound mono.
Steel leaders cant hurt, as long as they don't spook the fish.
I'm NO expert at all, but these are my experiences.
Ken

Kim473
11-19-2012, 06:18 AM
I use 4lb for perch and trout on my light action rod. 6lb on the heavier rod. I will start off with the light rod and if the trout and or other fish that bite break the line, I will switch to the heavier line. 6lb, I would say is a all around good size to start with and then go heavier or lighter if needed. If your going for pike or walleye, you will need heavier. Flouro carbon, but be carefull tying your knots. I don't usually go for pike. I would sooner get a lot of bites and lose hooks then no bites at all. Just what I like. Remember set your drag light if using light line! Can allways tighten it if needed but losen it, TOO LATE! Fish gone.

gopher67
11-19-2012, 07:43 AM
For ice fishing i use 4lb. Test for trout and perch and i have caught jacks with it :

hard_azz
11-19-2012, 08:23 AM
The best setup I have found is fireline CRYSTAL. I spool up with that then I tie on a barrel swivel and about 18" of watever mono... I usually use something with very low visibility cuz I am not a big fan of fish swimming up and turning away from my offering all day. U can adjust ur ratings as per species. Perch and smaller trout I go with 6lb crystal and 4lb mono. Whites is 8 and 6. Big whites and Walleye 10 and 8. I'm not much of a pike chaser in the winter, get enuf of them in the open water but I'm sure u get the idea.

mattpreat
11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Right now from the info ive gotten here im thinking ill go with a 6lb mono leader for perch, trout and other small fish and for walleye ill use 10lb flouro and take my chances with pike and change it up if im getting bit off all the time. for pike ill start by using this tieable steel leader material i bought a while back and if they get spooked by that ill try out whatever other heavy line i have with me that isnt so visible. only question now is what to use for the main line, im thinking either 10lb powerpro, the berkley fireline crystal or whatever catches my eye and looks really good at the store. thanks for the help everybody!