PDA

View Full Version : fireline for trolling?

slipbobber
05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Was wondering if anyone uses fireline or any other no stretch line for trolling and how they like it. I would think it gets a little hairy when you get snaged on something other that a fish.

impatient_hunter
05-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I haven't done a whole lot of trolling with fire line but what I have done you feel a major difference between fish and a snag. Fireline is great line and I have been using it for a couple of years and have had no problems with it.

chuck0039
05-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I use fireline for everything except trolling, I find with with fire line you run the risk of ripping the lures out of the fishes mouth when you set the hook. At least with the line that have stretch you mostly eliminate this problem.

muzzy
05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I used to use it 6 pound test on a noodle rod If a fish passed gas within a foot of your lure you felt it It was great but I found that sometimes the whole spool of line would spin on reel Haven't used it in a while now

The Fisherman Guy
05-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I use spiderwire braid on my trolling setup, IMHO it is far superior to mono. When trolling a Lenny or a Rapala, you can actually see the rod tip dance a little. When the hook gets fouled, or catches on weeds the tip stops twitching. I can actually feel the lure action through the rod in High Def so to speak... I do notice that when trolling shallow, some fish shake the hook with a quick jump after the strike. Before I have a chance to set the hook, they are off. Happens only a fraction of the time. I only prefer mono when fishing small creeks with really spooky trout. Any benefit with those buggers I will take!!:D

bobalong
05-23-2008, 08:17 AM
I have been using Fireline for about the past 5-6 years, and although no line is perfect for every application, I find it the best overall. I do tie all my lindy and spinner rigs (about 24-36" long) with flourocarbon line so there is a little bit of stretch, but I have also clipped a rubber snubber on the spinner rigs which makes quite a difference, especially when I am trolling a bit faster.
Although Fireline is a bit more expensive, I have got 3-4 years out of the line, especially on my jigging rod, where I only use maybe 30-50 ft of line at the most. After 2 years I re spool putting the inside line on the outside, most of this line has never seen the light of day.

Muzzy
Fireline will spin on the spool, you either have to use a bit of tape on the first wrap or wind a few turns of mono on the spool first, and then tie on the Fireline.

JohninAB
05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
I use nothing but braids on all my reels. Trolling, casting, jigging whatever and I would never go back to mono. The sensitivity is awesome and I have seen no difference in hook sets between mono and braid, mind you I am no expert either.

chuck0039
05-23-2008, 10:13 AM
I used to use it 6 pound test on a noodle rod If a fish passed gas within a foot of your lure you felt it It was great but I found that sometimes the whole spool of line would spin on reel Haven't used it in a while now

As Bob said you can use tape, or you can tie 10 feet of mono line using a uni to uni knot as found on the powerpro website below this will eliminate the slipping

http://www.powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp

Mountain Guy
05-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I like it for trolling.
Just hold on tight if your not in a rod holder , as you could lose your rod if a big jack hammers your hook !!

Mudslide
05-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I use fire line for trolling with a fluorocarbon leader and it is aw-some. We troll everything from big Pike baits to tiny little flatfish with a split shot 18inches ahead at Upper Kananaskis for trout. With mono you can't feel the flatfish past about 40 feet but with fire-line it can be felt way way farther back.

BTW what's up with the price of fire line? I buy it in the States for 11 dollars at Walmart and the same thing here is north of 20. Berkley should be ashamed of the gouging

slipbobber
05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
CT in Red Deer has it on sale this week for $15.00 but I think the sale is over.

TreeGuy
05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
What do you guys use as a knot on braided lines? I ask this because, working with ropes for a living means that I need to be very aware how knots effect their preformance (losing a 400lb log 40' over a hottub is a very BAD thing). Often, an knot can reduce the certified breaking point by up to 50%, although there is a wide degree of varience.

We have found that using a standard 'Fisherman's Knot' while trolling with 30lb braided line has resulted in numberous 'snap offs' due to either fish (lakers) or snags. Every time the point of failure was at the knot.

What we use now, is still a 'Fisherman' Knot', but take the last 6" of the line and 'bend' it back on itself and feed it through as a double line. We haven't had a problem like that since, but it is often a good idea to consult the manufacture's website and see what they recommend for your paticular brand/test of line.

Tree

frenchwhitey
05-23-2008, 04:41 PM
TreeGuy,
The knot that berkley recommends for use with fireline is called the Palomar knot and it very easy to tie.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php

Whitey

Deano
05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I love fireline as well. When trolling, especially bottom bouncing for walleye, I find if you point your rod to the back of the boat when you feel a hit before you set the hook helps with hook sets. If you react to quickly you will miss some fish.

redneck posse
05-23-2008, 06:40 PM
do you guys find that its hard on the eyes on your rods?? been told that it wears out the eyes making them ruff and snag.

Mountain Guy
05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
What do you guys use as a knot on braided lines? I ask this because, working with ropes for a living means that I need to be very aware how knots effect their preformance (losing a 400lb log 40' over a hottub is a very BAD thing). Often, an knot can reduce the certified breaking point by up to 50%, although there is a wide degree of varience.

We have found that using a standard 'Fisherman's Knot' while trolling with 30lb braided line has resulted in numberous 'snap offs' due to either fish (lakers) or snags. Every time the point of failure was at the knot.

What we use now, is still a 'Fisherman' Knot', but take the last 6" of the line and 'bend' it back on itself and feed it through as a double line. We haven't had a problem like that since, but it is often a good idea to consult the manufacture's website and see what they recommend for your paticular brand/test of line.

Tree

Palomar here as well.
I found it easiest to tie with the fireline.

pecker
05-23-2008, 08:44 PM
thanks for all the tips guys . :love: tight lines to all .:wave:

Mudslide
05-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I use a Palomar knot when tying directly to a lure and I use a double uni knot to attach the fluorocarbon leader. Both work great.

muzzy
05-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Same here I use a Palomar know they say its the strongest and easy to tie

Gord

The Fisherman Guy
05-25-2008, 04:36 PM
do you guys find that its hard on the eyes on your rods?? been told that it wears out the eyes making them ruff and snag.

I have heard that about braids as well, but I have not seen any effect on my eyelets at all. Talking to a few friends they have mentioned that problem was with the early braids, as they were quite abrasive. Not such a common problem with today's lines.