PDA

View Full Version : smelt fishing

pecker
05-22-2008, 09:24 PM
:) anyone had the joy of smelt fishing in ontario . lake erie , ontario, simcoe . it was a blast. night fishing with the coleman lantern and all. lots of memories came out of that . :) :) catching was fun, but cleaning 2 - 5 gallon pails of them at 3 am. was'nt.:wave: :wave:

muzzy
05-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Yep I remember doing that as a scout way back in lake ontario Also had great smelt netting in Thunder Bay With all the italans out it was one big party dipping smelt and wine

acedave3
05-23-2008, 12:05 AM
:) Remeber many years ago catching smelt in Ontario with my Dad ,and not only was it fun, they tasted delicious. Those were the days!

Drano
05-23-2008, 01:33 AM
:) Those were great times for sure...

We use to go to point pelee and fish or should I say net them. lights along the shore as far as you could see...
They were great times thats for sure...mmmmmmmmmmmm:wave:

Jester
05-23-2008, 03:31 PM
:) Those were great times for sure...

We use to go to point pelee and fish or should I say net them. lights along the shore as far as you could see...
They were great times thats for sure...mmmmmmmmmmmm:wave:

10-4 on the good times..:)

Only we did it closer to Erieau (s/p)

That was 30 years ago....I have since heard that the smelt run is all but gone.Is this true?

GPBuzz
05-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Tried deep fried smelts at a Greek restaurant in Edmonton. Battered like calimarie (sp?). I really enjoyed them

Outt and Aboutt
05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I remember smelt fishing with the family as a kid near the Soo. Late nights and heavy nets!! They were a riot to catch, but I recall not being so happy at 1AM sitting around the table cleaning them.

I've also heard the runs are pretty sparse these days.

D