PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a new reel.

B_Type13X2
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Well its the end of my companies calendar year and that means I get 300$'s to spend on outdoor activities given to me to spend on fishing gear. With that I am looking to pick up a higher end spinning reel in the 200-270$ price range. Right now there are 3 that I am giving serious consideration to they are:

Pflueger Patriarch Magnesium Spinning Reel:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflueger_Patriarch_Magnesium_Spinning_Reel/descpage-PSRR.html

Abu Garcia Revo Inshore Spinning Reel:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_Revo_Inshore_Spinning_Reel/descpage-RIS.html

Shimano Stradic CI4 Spinning Reel

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Stradic_CI4_Spinning_Reel/descpage-SSCMG.html

I'd appreciate any input before I throw out a fair bit of change for a spinning reel.

Kyle
11-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Go for the stradic...I have never had a problem with a stradic and I have used mine a ton.

Albertafisher
11-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Stradic. Best spinning reel out there.

The Fisherman Guy
11-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Stradic!

TROLLER
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
the CI4 is one great reel and you will be very happy you bought one

You may also want to take a look at the Quantum Smoke. In a 2500 it is only an once heavier than the CI4 but does not have anywhere near the drag of the Shimano.

Good luck with your decision even tho it should be for the CI4

B_Type13X2
11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Well everyone is pretty much saying to go for the C14 can't argue with that. My only question is how does it stand up to corrosion, and how much maintenance do I need to do with it?

Wild&Free
11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
with regular maintenance and little to no exposure to salt water a reel should last a lifetime. My dad has a reel from '85 that he has yet to open up and do any sort of maintenance with, it still turns like it was new though.

Wesr
11-19-2012, 07:13 PM
I've always found my self going back to shimano, but really at this price point your looking at its all personal preference. Good luck they are all nice.

buckmaster
11-19-2012, 07:26 PM
the CI4 is one great reel and you will be very happy you bought one

You may also want to take a look at the Quantum Smoke. In a 2500 it is only an once heavier than the CI4 but does not have anywhere near the drag of the Shimano.

Good luck with your decision even tho it should be for the CI4

x2. I was having problems with the bail jamming on my stradic ci4 from when it was new. I was told that it needs to be broken in more. Otherwise very nice reel.The quantam smoke reels are also decent.

wetchimo
11-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I just bought the quantum EXO and it is fantastic. I have had no issues with the quantum reels in the past and I buy one when ever I can.

EZM
11-21-2012, 04:27 PM
x2. I was having problems with the bail jamming on my stradic ci4 from when it was new. I was told that it needs to be broken in more. Otherwise very nice reel.The quantam smoke reels are also decent.

I have both the Shimano Stradic and the Abu Garcia revo. I fish 2-3 a week and use and abuse my equipment.

My Stradic binds up sometimes (sounds like the same issue as buckmaster). The reel is, otherwise, a dream. Really nice steady drag.

I personally prefer my Abu Garcia as it is smoooooooooth and tight. Drag is excellent.

Both reels are very comparable and of top quality - except the little annoying issue mentioned above on the Shimano.

There is no comparison between the quantum and Shimano / Abu Garcia products. Absolutely no comparison when your high end quantum skips and jerks - Quantum has a long way to go to match these other products. They do, however, look allot cooler.

B_Type13X2
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I have both the Shimano Stradic and the Abu Garcia revo. I fish 2-3 a week and use and abuse my equipment.

My Stradic binds up sometimes (sounds like the same issue as buckmaster). The reel is, otherwise, a dream. Really nice steady drag.

I personally prefer my Abu Garcia as it is smoooooooooth and tight. Drag is excellent.

Both reels are very comparable and of top quality - except the little annoying issue mentioned above on the Shimano.

There is no comparison between the quantum and Shimano / Abu Garcia products. Absolutely no comparison when your high end quantum skips and jerks - Quantum has a long way to go to match these other products. They do, however, look allot cooler.

So your saying go Revo? I haven't put the money down yet, I own several Abu reel's and have been quite happy with all of them. I own a few Shimano's and have found them to be less smooth. I was going to go with the consensus that the C14 would be better. But my gut says Abu Garcia because of my experience thus far with Orra's has been quite positive. Now I'm not quite sure which way to go.

Wild&Free
11-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Don't base your life decisions on the advice of people who don't have to live with the outcome.

B_Type13X2
11-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Don't base your life decisions on the advice of people who don't have to live with the outcome.

I wouldn't say Fishing reel choice is a life decision. And to be honest if I don't like the reel I'll just buy another one. 200-250$'s isn't a bank breaker in the slightest bit.

Wild&Free
11-21-2012, 06:45 PM
just saying, go with your gut.

EZM
11-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes - I would go with the Abu Garcia Revo as my first choice.

The Shimano Stradic is a close second. Might be dead even if it didn't have that annoying occasional bind (bail not closing or locking up right away).

I base this on what I value in a spinning reel - turns smooth (no counter rotation), tight, bullet proof durable, trouble free and silky smooth drag (with no jerky releases).

Hope that helps ....

EZM
11-21-2012, 10:11 PM

Agreed, but in this case, a reel is hardly a life decision .....

I'd also offer, since I have "decided to live with" at least two of the selections myself, I am (or was) prepared to "live with the outcome" wasn't I?

If a contributor asks for an opinion from other members, he is probably going to consider some other opinions .......... I don't know ???? I figured that's why he posted the question.

I often post questions too - and, ironically, am looking for opinions and advice.

You have, however, given me food for thought, next time I will post a question simply for my amusement and not bother considering anyone's opinion.

That will be fun.

Fishnafterwork
11-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Shimano Stradic CI4:sHa_shakeshout:

77mse77
11-21-2012, 10:19 PM
If you're inclined to Think outside the box, and have a look at the Team Diawa reels. I like my Team Diawa reel better than my Stradic. Smoother, better drag, nicer looking.

My 2 bits...

B_Type13X2
11-21-2012, 10:22 PM
I may just buy both and use my least favorite as a Back up reel.

Wild&Free
11-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Agreed, but in this case, a reel is hardly a life decision .....

I'd also offer, since I have "decided to live with" at least two of the selections myself, I am (or was) prepared to "live with the outcome" wasn't I?

If a contributor asks for an opinion from other members, he is probably going to consider some other opinions .......... I don't know ???? I figured that's why he posted the question.

I often post questions too - and, ironically, am looking for opinions and advice.

You have, however, given me food for thought, next time I will post a question simply for my amusement and not bother considering anyone's opinion.

That will be fun.

Making a fisherman think is no easy task. I feel pride atm.

freeones
11-22-2012, 09:06 AM
You've got the cash, so have a look at the Shimano Sustains. SWEET reels, if you don't want to go that far, then Stradic. Unless you cast all day long, go with the 1000 size.

cluneyboy
11-22-2012, 11:56 AM
My wife and myself upgraded to the abu garcia revo.We love them.

Cluneyboy

TROLLER
11-22-2012, 12:54 PM

I had 3 Abu Reels and gave em all to the goodwill store. The drag is about the worst I have ever fished with.

I have an old Mitchell 300 that is 50 yrs old that has a better drag than the new Abu.

Maybe I had a bad one but certainly not 3.

B_Type13X2
11-22-2012, 12:56 PM
You've got the cash, so have a look at the Shimano Sustains. SWEET reels, if you don't want to go that far, then Stradic. Unless you cast all day long, go with the 1000 size.

I realize it seems strange that I'd buy 2 reels each over 200$'s but wont buy 1 reel that is over 300$'s but really that is my cut off point. I think spending more then 300$'s on any spinning reel that isn't for salt water use is a waste. So the Sustain is off the table for me.

B_Type13X2
11-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Ended up just buying the Revo, the determining factor is I own plenty Abu Garcia products already all of which I have liked so no need to fix what isn't broken.