PDA

View Full Version : Nube ice sled/line question

cohod
11-19-2012, 09:52 PM
What is a good sled for getting gear out on the lake must be big enough for a power auger and gear but small enough to be foot powered.

Also time to put new line on the reels, what a good cold weather line or is Braided Line better? What brands should I be looking at?

Thanks cohod

cohod
11-21-2012, 11:10 AM
No one has any suggestions on a quality sled or a good cold weather line?

cohod

Wild&Free
11-21-2012, 11:23 AM
A quality sled is usually based upon personal inspection. Make sure it's made of durable material, it's not too thin that it will become brittle in really cold weather and sturdy enough to take the weight and tension of being pulled.

As for line, I have 8lb Berkly cold water line on my trout reel, going to put some 30# braid as mainline on another reel for when I'm in lakes with pike, will be using a mono/flouro leader on those for perch, whites and walleye and a titanium leader if I'm into a lot of pike.

Line selection is based on species being fished. light mono/flouro for trout, perch and whites, something a little heavier for pike. Walleye I've never really fished for through the ice, but I plan on targetting some this year so I'll be experiencing a learning curve on them.

hope that helps.

YeeHaw
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I love my otter sled. It is the second smallest one if im correct, used it two years so far, and never a problem. It also pulls nice by hand, if im correct I paid around $65 at wholsale sports.

Stinky Buffalo
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I just picked up a Jet Sled from Cabela's in Edmonton - there were three sizes available, and I picked up the mid-sized one for just under $50.

Cabelas has their own that's similarly priced, and has molded features for pails etc. To me, I felt that the plastic wasn't as rugged as the Jet Sled, though. Plus I wanted to be able to use it for towing the kids around, and sitting on the molded features would just be uncomfortable for them.

Passed the first field test (deer hunt) with flying colors. :sHa_shakeshout:

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/getdata.php/image_id/97724

csalty
11-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Just use regular line 8 or 10 lb test. Cold water line is bs I've never used it and never needed it and i ice fish a lot. But don't use old line no matter what you do.

Wild&Free
11-21-2012, 06:26 PM
The cold water line was on sale. It's just as good as regular mono, only it's blue.

bubba 96
11-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Got a calf sled at ufa for my gear, works like a charm....

seahawkfisher
11-21-2012, 08:36 PM
i use an el-cheapo plastic kid's sled; reinforced in a few key places and some bungy chord loops - you can load her up pretty good
cheers

BeeGuy
11-21-2012, 10:46 PM
I use a rubbermaid tub with 2 ropes tied to the handle.

It sucks, but it holds my gear and I catch fish...

I'd swing by the feed co-op and pick up a calf sled if I was gonna buy one.

WayneChristie
11-22-2012, 06:50 AM
I use a rubbermaid tub with 2 ropes tied to the handle.

It sucks, but it holds my gear and I catch fish...

I'd swing by the feed co-op and pick up a calf sled if I was gonna buy one.

I use a calf style sled and put a big rubbermaid tub in it to hold the gear, easy to lift it out and put it in the truck. I like braided line like suffix, if its cold enough that it freezes up a bit at the water line just pull it through a candle and the wax keeps the water off

Wild&Free
11-22-2012, 07:46 AM
I use a calf style sled and put a big rubbermaid tub in it to hold the gear, easy to lift it out and put it in the truck. I like braided line like suffix, if its cold enough that it freezes up a bit at the water line just pull it through a candle and the wax keeps the water off

wax coated braid, good idea.

cohod
11-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Right on guys,
thanks for the info keep it coming.

cohod

dcutter
11-22-2012, 10:29 AM
PM inbound...

Pincherguy
11-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Right on guys,
thanks for the info keep it coming.

cohod

I got one from Walmart about 15 bucks. My plan was to use it for deer. I have a clam shelter for ice fishing, pull it with my Rhino.
PG

YeeHaw
11-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Great idea Wayne. Im going to try that.

munyee4321
11-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Canadian tire has the large pelican sleds for sale at 50% off.. So 35bucks I just picked up two.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/685columbia/12B5177D-AB3D-4633-91CF-82EA74FE0F3E-2333-000003902B26E281.jpg

Cal
11-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Whatever you get make sure its wide enough that it doesnt tip over when you pull it through ruts etc. I have an el cheapo plastic sled that somebody got me for xmas (its always a bad idea to let someone get you any important piece of outdoor gear as a gift, without fail you end up fighting with some crappy POS for a couple years and then just getting the one you wanted anyways) anyhow in deep snow the damn thing tips over just from pulling it through my own footprints.:sign0176: