PDA

View Full Version : fishing elkwater lake, cypress hills area

bowchaser
05-23-2008, 03:08 PM
going to be doing some camping at elkwater, wondering if anyone has any advice, or are there any other lakes in the area one should check out? What about rivers? Will have a boat.

thanks.

Calloway99
05-23-2008, 04:14 PM
My brother in law and I are heading down there on May 3oth for the weekend. After a bit of research, we will probably hit Bullshead, Spruce Coulee and Reesor. If we have time, we will hit Cavan or Michel. All five are smaller lakes, but that is what we are looking for.
If you are up to heading to the Sask. side, take a look at the following link.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can114.php

I was thinking of heading over, but I think we will have enough fishing with the five lakes mentionned above.

There is a creek on the Alberta side, but it is small as are the fish.

Sean

madatter
05-23-2008, 09:41 PM
going to be doing some camping at elkwater, wondering if anyone has any advice, or are there any other lakes in the area one should check out? What about rivers? Will have a boat.

thanks.

Elkwater Lake you can use a gas motor,the rest of the lakes around are electric only.
Bullshead is your #1 destination for trout,catch and release(except 1 over 50cm).Solid fish there and usually pretty good action......could get very busy there on the weekend if weather is nice!
Reesor Lake has small trout in it,easy to catch but get's boring fast.
Spruce Coulee has brookies in it but I have not fished it in a long time and have heard nothing about it...wish they would do something different with this lake...
Note several years ago they had a dump of walleye into Spruce that produced some very large walleye....don't know if anybody has caught any lately(I only saw 1 get caught there).
Elkwater Lake has pike and perch in it.
Pike have no size limit since there really are no pike of any size there.
Supposed to be some decent perch in there but I have never had any luck getting em.
Michelle Resevoir(southwest of park) has rainbows in it but was emptied several years ago so they will be small.
Cavan Lake used to be my fave but low water levels too many years in a row have hurt it.Fished it a few times in winter,never much luck.Water level is already low there now so I don't know what you can expect but have not heard anything good about it.
Battle Creek has small trout in it.
IMO get to Bullshead 1st and if you are bored try Elkwater Lake for some pike or perch,the pike may be small but they are very good eating out of there!
Have fun!:D