PDA

View Full Version : Sylvan Lake Report for May 24

SNAPFisher
05-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Made it out to Sylvan with my dad. Besides the fishing the highlight was a close encounter with a fox, deer, and a hummingbird out on the water. Has anyone ever been buzzed by a hummingbird out on a lake? I thought it was a big annoying bee until I got a close look. Crazy bird hovered right above my head and took a dive at me.

We were off in boat by 8 a.m. The plan was to try to get some open water whites.

The first fish was actually a 2lb walleye that I caught fishing for whites. Not really disappointing but I kept on trying for the whites. Finally I switched to a wire worm....It is like the dreaded hook in my tackle box...I just can't seem to win or get anything when I use those damn small hooks. Today it changed. Within 30 seconds of launching one out under a slip bobber, down it went. I set the hook and had a good fight with a decent Sylvan white. 2nd cast, another repeat! I think I stepped outside of myself to shake my own hand. Damn this was sweet!

After that I missed on maybe a half dozen hookups and then the whites turned off like a light bulb. I couldn't figure them out after that so we moved onto some unproductive trolling for about a half hour. The water is only about 46 degrees on avg at Sylvan so I went to a shallow bay I know to cast. Water there was about 48 degrees. I managed another couple walleye, both small, and, a handful of pike. Two were very decent between 7-8 lbs. After an hour or so it was time to head back for me. My dad finally got on board with the biggest fish, a 8.5 lb pike. Nice way to call it a day.

Great multi-species half-day!

P.S. A very nice guy offered me his 1 white at the boat launch which I was happy to take. Great dad out fishing with his two daughters who's generousity let me end up with 3 whites for the day.

Didn't take many pics but here a the few:

White #1
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/Sylvan0524004.jpg

White #2
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/Sylvan0524005.jpg

Not a great pic but the noticeable beak of an 8 lb pike.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/Sylvan0524001.jpg

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey Snap you and I should hook up for a session on sylvan here , see if we cant get a few guys out with boats . and have a little fun. even if we tented it some where make it a weekend thing , pm me if interested.

The Fisherman Guy
05-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey John, I am down for sure. Perhaps in a few weeks for myself, I am still down south workin. I have not had much luck in sylvan, but I really want to give it the college try. Let me know, and we can all get it goin.

jrs
05-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Nice whites. Wish i would have thought to get out today.

SNAPFisher
05-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Hey Snap you and I should hook up for a session on sylvan here , see if we cant get a few guys out with boats . and have a little fun. even if we tented it some where make it a weekend thing , pm me if interested.

Thanks BBJ. My weekends are gone from now until July. July might be a month of little fishing though as the wife and I are getting a house built and it is due in mid-July.