PDA

View Full Version : Playa Del Carmen Fishing

cherthor
05-25-2008, 09:04 PM
We are heading down to the Playa Del Carmen area in November and would like try fishing one day. This will be the first time for fishing there so just wondering if anyone has been or has some suggestions where to begin looking for places to go or how to charter a boat.

SuCraM
05-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I have been there before but did not try to fish. Right in Playa Del Carmen there is a couple of guys with charter boats for hire along the beach. Just ask a couple of the locals and they will point you in the right direction.

sheepslam
05-26-2008, 07:05 AM
just watch when you are booking with a guy on the beach,make sure he is legit i cant emphasize this enough,i no a couple guys that have got ripped of this way and from first hand experience of working in mexico there is a lot of scammers down here,dont get me wrong though there is lots of good peaple to,just watch yourself

stiknfish
05-26-2008, 07:22 AM
I booked a charter for 4 hours out of Playa and had a great time.It cost $260
american for me and my wife.The boat was a 20 footer and we were fishing for billfish and Mahi Mahi,didnt manage any bills but landed 4 Mahi Mahi with the biggest being about 50lbs.I found them by talking with guys on the beach and wasnt dissapointed.I will see if i can find the name of the guys and post the info(was in 2005).We fished just out front of Playa Del Carmen in between there and Cozumel.

Big Bull
05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Hang around the docks or marinas for a few days when the boats are coming in. Talk to the tourist getting off the boats and see who is catching the fish. I've learned my lesson by going on a few expensive "gong show" boat rides. I have fished north and south of Playa, and have had good results.

wake
05-26-2008, 10:42 AM
We go to the area twice per year and use Captain Ricks out of nearby (like 10 minutes away.) Puerto Aventura's.

Also bring your own spin tackle gear for casting in the surf with spoons and plugs for Jacks,Snooks,small tarpon,Asst'd Snappers.

You also dont require a fishing license unless fishing from a boat.

Here is the link to Captain Ricks, you can e-mail Glenna for info.

http://www.captricksfishing.com/

mark-edmonton
05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
i fished PDC last november from a charter boat. no liscence is required. I would look into legit charters as they must carry insurance. Jose down at the docks will take you out no problem, but randoms aren't as equipped as the charters. check with your resort they should have a few options for you. and watch out for the time share idiots all over PDC. they promise just about anything to get you to waiste time with them.

I didn't catch anything worth speaking of, but another boat out at the same time got 3 sailfish, one was a nice 6-7 footer. someday I'll get one.

Good luck

Kingfisher
06-01-2008, 02:11 AM
I have fished over in Cozumel for bonefish and I must say it was fantastic. There is a ferry that goes across starting at 6:30am and it is only a 45 minute ride. I would highly recommend this guide and his son. They were both named Aldolfo Sr. and Jr.. Aldofo Sr. is about 65 and his son is about 35. Both are fantastic guides.

Here is their contact information as coppied right from their business card.

Asociacion de Prestadores de Servicios
y Guias Profesionales de Pesca
Deportiva en Cozumel, A.C.

Adolfo Vazquez Castillo
GUIA ESPECIALIZADO EN LAGUNAS
BONE FISH VIAJES ROBINSON CRUSOE

65 Av. Bis No. 632 X Hidalgo y privada Hidalgo
Fracc. Cuzamil Cozumel, Q. Roo, Mex. 77624
Tel. 872-5622 evenings
Cel. 044 987 87 64 053

mitchw
06-01-2008, 09:43 AM
[]I was there fishing a few years back and it was quite well.I just went to a small marina just south of Playa De Carmen about 20 mins os so and offered a locals some cash to take me fishin.He was more than willing and new where the fish were ATTACH]5703[/ATTACH