PDA

View Full Version : where to fish in rocky mountain/nordegg

marty
05-27-2008, 09:59 PM
headed to rocky/nordegg area this weekend and wandering where i can fish from shore. i know that most rivers and tribs are having run off and are closed till mid june but wandering if there might be some lakes or tribs that are fishable and open this weekend.

TundraBuck
05-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Fish Lake, Goldeye Lake. Go north on the trunk road from Nordegg about 5 minutes and there is 2 stocked quarry pits, one on the west side and one on the east side. West one is better, looks better too.

BigA
05-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi. New to the board. I am interested in this thread as I am heading to Rocky this weekend as well and wanted to go fishing. I can't go far from Rocky though. Thought I would hit up Twin Lake. Any other possibilities close to Rocky for shore fishing?

goose
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Try Strubel or Mitchel lakes they have good access for shore fishing and usually good results. Drown a few worms and you'll get something. Flys work well on these lakes too.
Goose

TundraBuck
05-29-2008, 04:23 PM
BigA, Twin isn't a good choice to chuck bait at and hope for trout. More than likely you'll catch perch.

BigA
05-29-2008, 08:21 PM
BigA, Twin isn't a good choice to chuck bait at and hope for trout. More than likely you'll catch perch.

Ok. fair enough. I was thinking of it because we are camping near there. Any suggestions? How does a person get to Mitchell or Strubel Lake?

Mish
05-29-2008, 09:12 PM

I disagree, Twin is a great place to go and just throw some bait in. In all honesty I've never caught perch there...even when I thought I'd try. Twin is hit after hit with rainbow...never a slow day, if you're fishing for keeps you can get your limit in an hour or less...if you're C&R, you'll have a busy day nonetheless. Just fish off the long dock, never had luck at the plastic one. There's a drop about 8-10feet off the end of the dock...that's where the rainbows hang out so you're guaranteed to catch some if you fish the drop off. Okay, maybe I'm a little bit biased because Twin is where I got my start fishing :) But seriously, it's never a slow day at Twin.

Also been to Mitchell and Strubel but it was usually a bit slower. Less people though, which is nice.

If you want perch they're usually just under the dock.

Always had luck at Cow for ice fishing, but don't know how it is for open water from shore...not much of a shore to fish from, anyway.