PDA

View Full Version : Counting Points on a Whitetail dilema

johnny67
12-06-2012, 04:50 PM
When counting points on a whitetail, I have a friend that says you don't count the brow tines as points. So what I call a 5x5 he will cal a 4x4. I've been just letting it go every year but stood my ground this year. He is adamant that I am wrong and I can't convince him otherwise. It's bugging the hell out of me. Can you back me up or am I off my rocker? :argue2:

Rackmastr
12-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Does it really matter?? Haha.

This happens every year...call em what ya want to call em.....

mxer117
12-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Your buddy is wrong.

Of course it counts as a point. When measuring for B&C the brows are most certainly measured.

If I shot a buck that has 3 points on each side plus brow tines, that is a 4X4.

( you should :snapoutofit: your pal. Just because. )

sheephunter
12-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Tell him he's an idiot......lol

Redneck Renagade
When counting points on a whitetail, I have a friend that says you don't count the brow tines as points. So what I call a 5x5 he will cal a 4x4. I've been just letting it go every year but stood my ground this year. He is adamant that I am wrong and I can't convince him otherwise. It's bugging the hell out of me. Can you back me up or am I off my rocker? :argue2:

You are right and he is 100% WRONG

Okotokian
Does it really matter?? Haha.

This happens every year...call em what ya want to call em.....
Matters to him, Rack.

Anyone actually know the answer? I'd be interested too... I've also always wondered why the language we use to describe elk points is different than deer.

Bushmaster
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Get back up on your rocker and be more adamant.......

HunterDave
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
You are both wrong.........they are 8 point and 10 point bucks. :scared0018:

deercamp
12-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Your buddy is wrong.

Of course it counts as a point. When measuring for B&C the brows are most certainly measured.

but technically the main beam is not a point ,count how many points come off the beam and call it, im old school and count one less than most, nobody is right or wrong. 6 of one or half a dozen of another.

deercamp
12-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I hunted with a guy one time that didnt count beam or brow tines!! so what you call a 4x4 he called a 2x2. So when he calls and says he got a 5x5 you better bring the camera! haha

H380
12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Your buddy is wrong.

( you should :snapoutofit: your pal. Just because. )

Correct . look at a score sheet and see if ALL points are counted ..

elkhunter11
12-06-2012, 05:27 PM
B&C and P&Y use brow tines in their scoring, so yes they are considered points.

Deer Hunter
12-06-2012, 05:30 PM
He is right in my book....

jr_80
12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Whitetail yes, mule deer no.

rocketron
12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
The way I had i explained to me was, Americans count every point, and call them eight points, or ten points, we Canadians call them 4x4's or 5x5's, and do not include the main beam point.

walking buffalo
12-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Let's not forget the hunting legislation.

The answer lies within. ;)

Remember.... Three point Mulies....

hunter1993ap
12-06-2012, 05:42 PM
i was brought up that mule deer brow tines dont count when counting points but do for scoring purposes. whitetail brow tines count for total number of points. the main beam is still a point. i dont know the regs in alta, or sask but in bc there is a 4 point season for mule deer, and brow tines do not count.

K3llyk@rjvnet.ca
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
That's wrong about mule deer. A true typical mule deer is a 4 point the brow tine is the g1 then back tines are g2 fork off the g2 is the g3. Then the front fork is the g4. The main beam is the main beam. Not a point

bear-scat
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Have a feeling the is going to turn into the argo/sxs,or baiting discussion:argue2:, you can definetly tell hunting season is over, gotta love the forum.....poll says I'm on here too often....an lovin it

Pixel Shooter
12-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Ummm hate to admit, but that is how I have always counted, never counted brows.......... this debate has nothing to do with scoreable points lolHe is right in my book....

Pixel Shooter
12-06-2012, 06:09 PM

pottymouth
12-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Yup, they call browtines G1's

But main beams on the other hand, are not G's, main beams are called F's, so you wouldn't count them as points!

Austin
12-06-2012, 06:14 PM
I have seen a couple deer on here that did not produce a brow tine or lacked one. How would your buddy score this type of deer,,, would his method include the brow tine.

KBF
12-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Tell your buddy then if he wants he doesnt have to add the browtines to the scoresheet if he wants. Hes probably also a gross score guy too.Never could understand why people dont count it. What makes it different from the next one.

twytter
12-06-2012, 06:20 PM
The way I had i explained to me was, Americans count every point, and call them eight points, or ten points, we Canadians call them 4x4's or 5x5's, and do not include the main beam point.

well i am from NB and always counted all of them has a point,and not 4x4,we count them has a 8point or 10 or whatever,but i guess we all have are different ways to count them,who really cares anyway,there not good in the frying pan,i just eat the meat lol

Don K
12-06-2012, 06:38 PM
but technically the main beam is not a point ,count how many points come off the beam and call it, im old school and count one less than most, nobody is right or wrong. 6 of one or half a dozen of another.

That's how I learned. I call an '8 pointer' a 3 point...

Battle Rat
12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Comes from the historical way of describing a mule buck.
If it had four points on each side plus brow tines, us old guys referred to it as a 4x4.
Not that you can't score them but they are usually short or nonexistent and the last thing you would look at when judging a trophy.
We carried this on with the way we talk about whitetail.
Probably because at one time in Alberta mule deer were much more abundant in some areas than whitetail.
I see the not counting brow tines as an Alberta trait and setting us apart from the USA.

albertadave
12-06-2012, 06:55 PM
If it's pointy on the end, and over an inche long, it counts as a point (at least according to the regs). I could never understand why some guys would shoot an animal and not call some of the "points" points. If it will put your eye out, it's a point. How can anyone argue that it isn't?

ishootbambi
12-06-2012, 07:01 PM

so why doesnt anyone count them on a mule then?

Whitetail yes, mule deer no.

i dont count brows on either. americans generally have on average smaller deer, and to call it a 10 point just seems to me like they are making it sound bigger than it is. i feel that way about guys counting them even when referring to one side.

i guess it comes down to what YOU want to call it, and what your friends know you are trying to say when you talk to them. the guys i roll with dont count brows. just how it was from day one with us. no way is more right or wrong....just what works for you.

mulecrazy
12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I count the brows on whiteys due to them normally being significant in their score. I don't count them on mulies because they are often miniscule and don't effect the score much. I count the main beams on both species as points when describing them. This is by far the most common method in western canada without a doubt.

roger
12-06-2012, 07:21 PM
i call it what it is, to not count the brow on mulie or wt is laughable at best.
the deers drivers side then passenger side
if there are 5 scoreable points on the drivers side and 3 scoreable points on the other..it is a 5x3.
when your after more than a few deer it becomes a nitemare keeping them apart.
if you dont call it a point then dont include it in the final score.
so what is this deer then a 0 x 1http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/varmastr/th_PC230052.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/varmastr/PC230053.jpg

pottymouth
12-06-2012, 07:27 PM
i call it what it is, to not count the brow on mulie or wt is laughable at best.
if there are 5 scoreable points on the drivers side and 3 scoreable points on the other..it is a 5x3.
and some rocket surgeons dont call the beam isnt a point so what is this deer then a 0 x 1
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/varmastr/th_PC230052.jpg

looks like a 2x1 to me...

ishootbambi
12-06-2012, 07:37 PM
looks like a 2x1 to me...

im down with that....and a ugly bugger to boot! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

roger
12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
fugly.
just plain fugly. obviously a nerd buck
if you look close to the mount, there is a little gap.
i mounted square tube in the head, then drill a hole in the shed horn and JB weld a square steel peice into it.
great way to mount sheds to see what the donor looked like.

pseelk
12-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Come on you guys,A point is a point is a point.Just like a proof is a proof is a proof.In the words of a once famous Prime Minister.

CamoDerrick
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
i guess it comes down to what YOU want to call it, and what your friends know you are trying to say when you talk to them. the guys i roll with dont count brows. just how it was from day one with us. no way is more right or wrong....just what works for you.

Agreed.

As long as everyone uses the same method who cares...
I hunt with different groups that use each system.

To say "Your buddy is wrong" or "he's an idiot" is kinda stupid.

missingtwo
12-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Agreed.

As long as everyone uses the same method who cares...
I hunt with different groups that use each system.

To say "Your buddy is wrong" or "he's an idiot" is kinda stupid.

I agree, call it whatever you want. When people start name calling, they have no argument. Stupid comments from stupid people.

steve
12-06-2012, 11:31 PM
All American 10 point.

Speckle55
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM
next post

Speckle55
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM
here is your answer B&C .... enjoy

Food for Thought

David:)

A: NUMBER OF POINTS ON EACH ANTLER

To be counted a point, the projection must be at least one inch long, with the length exceeding width at one inch or more of length. All points measured from tip of point to nearest edge of beam as illustrated in Figure A. Beam tip is counted as a point, but not measured as a point.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/bc_scoring_typwhitetail.asp?area=bgRecords&type=Typical+Whitetail+Deer

New Hunter Okotoks
12-07-2012, 12:32 AM
so what is this deer then a 0 x 1http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/varmastr/th_PC230052.jpg

I think we''ll call him: " Efrem The Retarded Deer."