PDA

View Full Version : Coyote calls ?

TheRealMcCoy
12-07-2012, 05:11 AM
I am certainly not a novice at killing & skining Coyotes but am a new comer
to calling Coyotes. My question is this; what is the best call to use without spending a lot? Where to buy? PM me please.

Merry Christmas.

TheRealMcCoy

grinr
12-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Which is best,Ford,Dodge or Chevy?
......same sorta question

Assuming you are asking about hand/mouth blown calls,being as there really aren't any "inexpensive" e-calls that are worth the gunpowder to blow them to hell....FOXPRO for example are regarded as the best and they ain't cheap.

With wind powered calls,there's really only two basic types,open or closed reed.....well,and diaphragm/palate calls also I spose?
Open reed howlers and distress calls are maybe the most versatile in that you can vary the tone and sounds by varying the pressure applied to different positions on the reed.They are virtually "freeze proof" but require more practice to use than most simple closed reeds.

Closed reeds are simple to use,simply blow into it,cup the barrel with hands and vary the tune adding inflection and emotion.Other than plastic reed closed reed calls,which for all intents and purposes are merely open reed designs enclosed in a mouth piece(I don't like'em),virtually ALL closed reed commercially made/mass produced calls use the EXACT SAME JC Reeds metal reeds.The only subtle differences from one manufacturer to the other is the body/sound chamber material that it's made from,generally wood,plastic or rubber?Most of my calls are custom/hand made from wood,acrylic,or antler,but I still carry a col old favorite plastics and woodies from my early days.I like molded plastic calls the least....if I had to buy a production call it would be a woody,Lohman makes some decent ones,and I'm sure there others but I haven't kept up with the market for several years since I have a decent
collection of customs?
The only real downside to closed/metal reed style calls imho is that they can freeze up on ya,usually at the worst possible moment when a yote is on final approach and you want to coax him that extra step.Combat that by carrying several calls and keep them tucked inside your coat on a lanyard.....and learn to lip squeak/kiss back of your hand for that close up and personal work......and if your lips freeze up,go to hell home,it's too cold out for hunting.

livefortherut
12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
The coyote call I've had the best luck is the knight and hale cottontail in destress or Quaker boy can't remebrr wich one at the moment from Canadian tire

davebuck
12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the info some good ideas great stuff :)

Ennyindabenny
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
www.carverpredatorcalls.com

Predator
12-07-2012, 08:22 AM
www.carverpredatorcalls.com

X2. Get Kerry's Strictly Business set, and you are good to go. Probably more inexpensive than buying production, off the shelf stuff as well and a million times better.

msheppardbrown
12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Which is best,Ford,Dodge or Chevy?
......same sorta question

Assuming you are asking about hand/mouth blown calls,being as there really aren't any "inexpensive" e-calls that are worth the gunpowder to blow them to hell....FOXPRO for example are regarded as the best and they ain't cheap.

With wind powered calls,there's really only two basic types,open or closed reed.....well,and diaphragm/palate calls also I spose?
Open reed howlers and distress calls are maybe the most versatile in that you can vary the tone and sounds by varying the pressure applied to different positions on the reed.They are virtually "freeze proof" but require more practice to use than most simple closed reeds.

Closed reeds are simple to use,simply blow into it,cup the barrel with hands and vary the tune adding inflection and emotion.Other than plastic reed closed reed calls,which for all intents and purposes are merely open reed designs enclosed in a mouth piece(I don't like'em),virtually ALL closed reed commercially made/mass produced calls use the EXACT SAME JC Reeds metal reeds.The only subtle differences from one manufacturer to the other is the body/sound chamber material that it's made from,generally wood,plastic or rubber?Most of my calls are custom/hand made from wood,acrylic,or antler,but I still carry a col old favorite plastics and woodies from my early days.I like molded plastic calls the least....if I had to buy a production call it would be a woody,Lohman makes some decent ones,and I'm sure there others but I haven't kept up with the market for several years since I have a decent
collection of customs?
The only real downside to closed/metal reed style calls imho is that they can freeze up on ya,usually at the worst possible moment when a yote is on final approach and you want to coax him that extra step.Combat that by carrying several calls and keep them tucked inside your coat on a lanyard.....and learn to lip squeak/kiss back of your hand for that close up and personal work......and if your lips freeze up,go to hell home,it's too cold out for hunting.

Chevy :sHa_shakeshout:

kaleh01
12-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Open reeds I only have experience with the primo Ky-yi which is great for pup distress, for closed reed I am extremely happy with the predator quest cottontail and jackrabbit calls. They sound great but freeze up.

Killed coyotes with all, as well as my fox pro. They all have their place.

It's kind of like my experience with elk bugles, had to buy a few before i settled on the carlsons Mac daddy. Everyone is different.

kaleh01
12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Open reeds I only have experience with the primo Ky-yi which is great for pup distress, for closed reed I am extremely happy with the predator quest cottontail and jackrabbit calls. They sound great but freeze up. Have also used the primos cottontail distress(green body, black bellow) it worked for me for years.

Killed coyotes with all, as well as my fox pro. They all have their place.

It's kind of like my experience with elk bugles, had to buy a few before i settled on the carlsons Mac daddy. Everyone is different.

Redfrog
12-07-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't use commercial calls. Way to much work.
I have some custom calls that I've used for years. I sold an antler call to a member who just ordered two more. Not only do these work for predators, but he called in a bunch of deer last week with them.

Good custom calls are easy to use and last for years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/haileypics180.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/calls006.jpg

roger
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
yote calls are like lines you would use to pick up wimmen, the one that worked for one once, may not nescarily work on another. cheap or expensive...:)
some require more effort than others and the results are the same, usually any call that makes the neighbours dog pay attention is good sign your doing something right.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
12-07-2012, 09:20 AM
:)... Most of these were taken with a simple Primos "Bunny Blues" mouth call...Carried a couple in case of freezing...had a neck lace lanard that carried a half dozen mouth calls...ELK inc coyote power howler and their mouse squeaker, Sceerys "Bunny Blues" but my favorite was the Primos "Bunny Blues" [Rabbit in distress] and my primary call...its under $20.00 and easy to use... I shot a quad [ 4 coyotes lol] in one sit using that call...

I now have a fancy Fox pro...easier on the lungs but dosnt bring them in any faster....

Neil

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/images/userpix/6673_coyote06_10_3.jpg

Bushmaster
12-07-2012, 09:22 AM
My favorite is an elk call.....Herd Master by Quaker Boy....you can make all sorts of squealing noises with it.

Kale_M
12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Foxpro CS24B

L.O.S.T Arrow, these were shot up in your neck of the woods. Do you know Richard Smith? He is my cousin we stay at his place in wainwright while we go hunting dogs there

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Kale_M/155A661D-A0D3-4EA5-AC1A-F2D10D0B0D87-7682-000005A3854ED1FF.jpg

duffy4
12-07-2012, 09:51 AM
If you really want to go "inexpensive" you can call coyotes and fox with any "squeaky" dog toy or "squeaky" rubber animal you can get from a toy store or the dollar store.

At the dollar store I bought a bag of "party horns" a soft plastic bellows with a squeaker and a cardboard funnel(horn) on one end. I pitched the horn part and when you squeeze the plastic bellows it makes a great varmint attractor call.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
12-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Foxpro CS24B

L.O.S.T Arrow, these were shot up in your neck of the woods. Do you know Richard Smith? He is my cousin we stay at his place in wainwright while we go hunting dogs there

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Kale_M/155A661D-A0D3-4EA5-AC1A-F2D10D0B0D87-7682-000005A3854ED1FF.jpg

:) kale...Yes Know Rich well..he was a member at my Archer club...and we work together ...nice yotes and Pic

Neil

mjamieson
12-07-2012, 11:13 AM
My suggestion based on what works best/most consistent for me are the Johnny Stewart AP1 & AP10 calls, I have numerous hand calls and I will attest to sceery line up of calls being effective, but my go to call has been the Johnny Stewart AP 1

I believe they both cost under $25 each, granted that was quite some time ago.

KegRiver
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
With enough road kill, you don't need a call. ;)

But I've a bunch of calls anyway.

Got a Flextone Echo and I'm happy with it so far.

Got a few Premos, Lohman, Sceery, and Circe predator calls.
They all work about the same as near as I can tell.

NIKON
12-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Chevy :sHa_shakeshout:

Running a 2012 dodge ram , love it :sHa_shakeshout:

Nikon