PDA

View Full Version : homemade tip ups for pike

Woolyman
12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody would share their plans on making a homemade tip ups for pike and trout. My son is wanting to take me out and teach me icefishing for pike and trout this year. I am on a very fixed budget and can't go buy icefishing tipups but i have a lot odds and ends around the garage that i am sure i can use to make one. so if anybody have any plans or ideas and /or pics of one to make, it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance

Kokanee9
12-07-2012, 03:31 PM
2x2 piece of wood, 18-24" long.

Cut in 1/2 about 50-70% up the piece of wood.

Put a hinge at the cut point and a small nail at the top. 2 small nails to wind line on to.

Put the line down the hole and make a small loop knot with a washer on it. put the washer on the nail at the top.

When the line is pulled by a fish, the top half will flip over making a slapping sound to alert you to a fish on the end of your line.

:)

LacLaBicheNS
12-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I use bleach, laundry, vinnegare etc jugs..

Just tie the line to the jug handle and drop done the hole.

I set the jug on the ice so theres about 2 feet of slack for pike or burbot.

When fish grabs it, jug slides across the ice. Can't miss the sound even from inside a tent.

JSMPP
12-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I'

JSMPP
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm with laclabichens, but I use beer cans instead. My heart starts to race a bit whenver I hear a can sliding now. But if it's really windy its less effective. On a nice day though I've found it out fishes any tip up. I leave a lot more line out, can is far enough from the hole to let you run and grab it

LacLaBicheNS
12-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm with laclabichens, but I use beer cans instead. My heart starts to race a bit whenver I hear a can sliding now. But if it's really windy its less effective. On a nice day though I've found it out fishes any tip up. I leave a lot more line out, can is far enough from the hole to let you run and grab it

Switch to jugs. They can't fit down the hole.

A empty jug is light enough the fish can't feel them, but if its windy, take the cap off and put enough water in it to keep the wind from blowing it over.

I've actually had fish set the hook on themselves because once the slack is taken up by the fish, the jug slides into the hole but jams. When its being pulled down the hole the fish is running to the jug jamming in the hole sets the hook.

CamoDerrick
12-07-2012, 09:18 PM

When fish grabs it, jug slides across the ice. Can't miss the sound even from inside a tent.

Cool idea. I'm all for innovative thinking.
Thanks for sharing!

Kokanee9
12-08-2012, 04:18 PM

That's a good idea!

A lot easier than mine to make.