PDA

View Full Version : Burbot on Ice?

Tht-_-Fisherman
12-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on catching burbot through the ice? (Never caught one but really want to!). I was planning on going to PCR for my first burbot, probably next month. Can you catch them in the day time?

Thanks,
Kyle

deepfried
12-07-2012, 03:48 PM
they will bite during the day but more action in the evenings .. PCR is as good as place as any to start ! Have landed a lot of burbot through the ice there !

Ceilidh69
12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Small jigs tipped with minnows, let them site on or near the bottom and either use bobbers or tip ups with light line.

TROLLER
12-07-2012, 04:43 PM
PCR is a great place to start. no real big ones yet but they are growing. Just out from the boat launch 30 to 50 meters will work.

I use a green glow in the dark jig with either a piece of smelt, worm, bacon pretty well anything.

Just before dark and after the sun goes down in your best. They are low light feeders. That being said I have had real good days when it is very overcast.

They bite very light, kinda mouth the bait, watch your rod not for jigging motion but a slow pull. Then just feel the weight and BAM fish

Have fun. Maybe see ya out there.

Tht-_-Fisherman
12-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks TROLLER and yeah, maybe see you out there. Is the boat launch to the right of the parking lot, I can remember last year I was trying to find the boat launch and never found it. I always went to the far side just to the right of the bridge, no too close though. I remember a guy catching a burbot and showing it to us, it was about 1-2 lbs. All that I have caught there is Walleye. They are fun too though!:lol: Thanks,

Kyle

jts1
12-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Get in on my map thread it has PCR posted on there.

bowness
12-07-2012, 05:56 PM
It can be a great burbot spot. Got some bigger than normal ones last year. We use white jigs that glow and smelt pieces tipped on the hook. As has been said dusk is by far the best time.

yoteblaster
12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Treble hook with Big smelt just off the bottom works for me.

338Bluff
12-07-2012, 08:28 PM
1 oz jig head and big hunk or herring or salted whitefish belly/pectoral fins. Thump, Thump, Thump on bottom pausing ocasssionly lifting an inch about and waiting for a second or two. Repeat.

After dark is usually the best.

jts1
12-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Hope the information I sent helps out. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

davegrant
12-08-2012, 12:13 AM
1 oz jig head and big hunk or herring or salted whitefish belly/pectoral fins. Thump, thump, thump on bottom pausing ocasssionly lifting an inch about and waiting for a second or two. Repeat.

After dark is usually the best.

bang on !!! Follow this and u will be boiling lobster style or having alberta-style fish-n-chips for dinner. Need bout a 4 pound for decent size back fillets.

gr8tbigkid
12-08-2012, 01:01 AM
yuuup was there tonight was awsome brought home some nice size ones gona have me fish fry tumarow got there 4pm set up hey wait the big thing was ice was 6" clear nice awsome ice at north end yes there was water under bridge always is dnt go near it !!!! but ya got 8-10 walley as well few were really big ?? 15" nver caught em that big before there and ya use gow in dark jigs with minow charge up often glow jigs works lika damn!! good luck have fun dnt eat toooo many they have:sleep-043: high mercury level there:sign0161: so not recomended to eat and huge amount of them but they are soooo yummy i am from nova scotia very picky on fish ..lobster shrimp??:argue2: cant be fishy imagine that fish not fishy:shake: just finished fillet'n them threw out smelly **** and you smell bowl with fish in no smell!!! and taste sooo good wait already said that!! good luck!!:test::happy0180: and if yu ever wanta go dwn not alone pm me if i can wud love to go ...dnt have that many people to go with ....:medium-smiley-035::confused0068::character0053:

Tht-_-Fisherman
12-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys and I sure will gr8tbigkid! And ill keep you all posted on how I make out. I found out we probably wont be able to get out before christmas!:angry3: but Ill just have to wait:scared:

Kyle

TROLLER
12-08-2012, 02:16 PM
The boat launch is south of the bridge. Cross the bridge take the next left and it will lead you to the road that takes you to the launch and campground.