PDA

View Full Version : Calling Wolves

tyler_maclean99
12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Hello everyone, my hunting partner and I just picked up a FoxPro Prairie Blaster. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what calling sequence works well for wolves. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

bdub
12-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Not sure if this will help but I have called them in incidentally when calling coyotes with a rabbit call and elk call and also by howling at them when I heard a bunch howling close by. I don't know that they are any more difficult to call in than coyotes, just more of matter of them being in the area when you are out hunting them. They do cover a large area so if they are in earshot I would think you would have a good chance of getting one to come in. Good luck.

roger
12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
chain2 and i had one come to a mouth call(rabbit) last week.
if you find fresh tracks, then i think it has alot to with how physically close you can get to them without spooking them but far enough that they have to attend before another wolf gets the prize.
through in a coyote howl for good measure.

keep the wind at your back, say from 12 to 6 oclock, watch downwind, they will want come out downwind to prove the downwind area, probably in the 3 or 9 oclock position.just shoot before they get to the 4 or 8 to hit your scent plume.
its an effective setup and things happen fast, it is extremely dependant on steady predictable prevailing winds. it doesnt work with no wind or swirly type winds. youll need an elevated position, direct access.
have areas that are for west winds, north winds, etc

bearbait
12-07-2012, 07:49 PM
no wolf's for you Tyler unless it's with me.lol. howling them works best that said gotta be close. takes them awhile to come in sometimes!!
rob