PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes Not coming into bait.

Fer-Tak-Er
12-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey.
Anyone out there know how I can get these damn coyotes out to my bait.
I got a dead cow from the Auction Mart, on Nov/23/12. No one there could tell me if it had been given any shots. But I'm going to guess it has. Nothing had been to it in 2 weeks, So I moved that cow away from my bait set. I got 6 pigs from the local colony, and the pig boss said that none of them had been given any shots, but still nothing. So I made up 2 big popsicles of blood, and trim from the butcher shop. Still just birds.........:angry3::angry3:.. Last year at this time I had already taken 5 from my bait set. Any ideas on what I can do to get them damn coyotes over to my bait set.

wwbirds
12-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Just put a second meatsickle out yesterday. Hear a few, but very few, after dark and even on my road trips around 5 miles of the area I am seeing very few even in the distance. have to figure a few contributing factors.

We have hit them very hard for the past 4-5 years and the local numbers are down and those remaining are very educated (nocturnal).

Up until the past couple days the temperatures and snow cover did not really make it too difficult for them to find food. (feeding on deer gut piles wounded waterfowl etc)

the pressure from local hunters has increased 5 fold from past years with everyone and their brother now owning a coyote rig and looking for "dogs"

have not even seen one in the distance for over a week and he was bleeding badly for 1/2 mile before he went on property I do not have permission on.

bsmitty27
12-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Same for me.
I put my deer gut pile and scraps in a bait pile. Nothing but birds. What's up?

DustDee
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Ain't cold enough yet.

Fer-Tak-Er
12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I would have to disagree on the cold factor, As I said before last year this time I had shot 5 off my bait site. Way less snow and way less cold this time last year. I'm just wondering if that tainted bait is maybe still lingering. It's been a week since I moved it.

bsmitty27
12-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Feels cold to me!
Not even at night. No tracks in the snow, And the snow is building. In October I couldn't keep them out of my compost pile. Now I can't get them to come in.
Brad

Fer-Tak-Er
12-08-2012, 02:25 PM
My bait site is on the edge of a 2 mile by 1 mile lake(more like a slough, but the map calls it a lake). Last year on the full moon in December at @ 1:00am I snuck out there. I counted 21 coyotes on the lake.(I know it sounds a little far fetched, but I am not bull sh**ing) I know alot of guys are out there shooting coyotes, and maybe there is getting to be less out there than in previous years, but somethings up. Not even a dog track in 3 weeks.

Deer Hunter
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
the hutterites have snares set up all over the place this year... I hear srd is putting coyotes on draw next year!!:scared0018:

Fer-Tak-Er
12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
To think that last year there was a bounty on coyotes up north, and now there thinking of draw.

pikergolf
12-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Wait for the cold, it's been a good summer for all wildlife including coyote food. When the temp drops and the extra calories are needed they'll be around.

pikergolf
12-08-2012, 03:01 PM
My bait site is on the edge of a 2 mile by 1 mile lake(more like a slough, but the map calls it a lake). Last year on the full moon in December at @ 1:00am I snuck out there. I counted 21 coyotes on the lake.(I know it sounds a little far fetched, but I am not bull sh**ing) I know alot of guys are out there shooting coyotes, and maybe there is getting to be less out there than in previous years, but somethings up. Not even a dog track in 3 weeks.

Words out, the british block is full of gut piles. :):)

Fer-Tak-Er
12-08-2012, 03:04 PM
British block hey!!!

pikergolf
12-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I imagine those dogs will do well all winter.

wwbirds
12-08-2012, 03:39 PM
We just did 3 + hours spotting for a goose shoot and knocking on some doors and only saw one running coyote in all that time in some prime country. Just seems to be far fewer of them this year.
Good news is we found 4 fields with 600 plus geese, bad news owners of land don't support hunting of any kind.

Bearen09
12-08-2012, 03:59 PM
We just did 3 + hours spotting for a goose shoot and knocking on some doors and only saw one running coyote in all that time in some prime country. Just seems to be far fewer of them this year.
Good news is we found 4 fields with 600 plus geese, bad news owners of land don't support hunting of any kind.

I live around Edmonton and hit around 50 a year..Now that Cabela is here everyone is a pro....Electronical calls in the wrong hand are the worst thing ever..end of story.

ganderblaster
12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
If any one wants to shoot coyotes near Camrose pm me they are everywhere.

dmac
12-08-2012, 04:15 PM
First stand of the year this morning, called in two, missed an easy shot on the male, they scattered, hit the KIYI and called the female back. Made the 110 yard shot.

Lefty-Canuck
12-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I live around Edmonton and hit around 50 a year..Now that Cabela is here everyone is a pro....Electronical calls in the wrong hand are the worst thing ever..end of story.

I tend to agree with you....predator hunting used to be only a fraction as popular as it is today. I have never had the need for an electronic call, always use hand calls. Seems the dogs are quite educated to the typical 5-10 sounds that everyone likely uses.

LC

threeforthree
12-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Did about 6hr drive time today., for goose shoot in morning, No dogs about 3 inches fresh snow, will be hunting Lentils in morning, with close to 1000 in field, couple issues they come in very high, and do not start to hit the fields till about 11:am, will be in total whites with a big old decoy resting on my belly. have another area with permission about 300 birds, come in lower and we can rest up in a fence line with high grass, there is 5 of us hunting and I got out voted 4-1 , Man, that fence line looked to me . birds were landing 20 yards from fence. and clearing the fence by about 10 yards. Lets see what the goose gods bring us in the morning. We saw a few birds leave an area and we drove over to it had about 15 skinned coyotes in a pile. 4 miles from a colony????

baptiste_moose
12-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Coyote on draw? Your pulling our leg right?

H380
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I tend to agree with you....predator hunting used to be only a fraction as popular as it is today. I have never had the need for an electronic call, always use hand calls. Seems the dogs are quite educated to the typical 5-10 sounds that everyone likely uses.

LC

Got it right there Lefty, TV shows and electronic calls now every one is a pro ... Dam you Les Johnson and Randy Anderson !!! LOL .. Oh well , as the coyotes get educated the number of immediate pro dog hunters get discouraged and the die hards just have to get better .

Deer Hunter
12-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Coyote on draw? Your pulling our leg right?

Yes, sorry I couldn't resist:bad_boys_20:

xxclaro
12-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Interesting,I thought it was just me that wasn't seeing the usual numbers this year. Not sure what the reason is,be it more hunters or something else,but I'm okay with it. i like hunting coyote's but prefer hunting deer,and would like to see more rabbits and grouse around,so will happily see coyote numbers drop. Talked to trapper friend today,and he said he's not getting any coyote's either.

4thredneck
12-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I would have to disagree on the cold factor, As I said before last year this time I had shot 5 off my bait site. Way less snow and way less cold this time last year. I'm just wondering if that tainted bait is maybe still lingering. It's been a week since I moved it.

What exactly is the bait tainted with?

Redfrog
12-08-2012, 05:21 PM
I may have to stop calling to give you 'bait' guys a chance. I seem to be calling them off your baits. Sorry!, Sorry! sorry!

Have you tried trolling those baits?:sHa_shakeshout:

ali#1
12-08-2012, 05:41 PM

LC

Glad to know you we're an expert when you started.

wwbirds
12-08-2012, 06:31 PM
if you don't stop calling and learn to bait how will you ever get your master baiter title??

coyote_man
12-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I too am finding that certain areas have lower than usual numbers according to tracks seen. On the other hand river bottoms, feedlots and just areas with cattle are still showing healthy populations. I have read that in order to reduce and control coyote populations one needs to harvest 80-85% of the population over a period of 3-5 years. Two years ago the deep snow forced them into huge packs around deer ,antelope and cattle which made for exceptional hunting. Im thinking this year they are still spread out for the most part.

Redfrog
12-08-2012, 06:45 PM
if you don't stop calling and learn to bait how will you ever get your master baiter title??

There is enough Master baiters on AO now.:) not many coyote calling frogs though.:sHa_shakeshout:

pikergolf
12-08-2012, 07:16 PM
I may have to stop calling to give you 'bait' guys a chance. I seem to be calling them off your baits. Sorry!, Sorry! sorry!

Have you tried trolling those baits?:sHa_shakeshout:

lol

oldgutpile
12-08-2012, 07:22 PM
the hutterites have snares set up all over the place this year... I hear srd is putting coyotes on draw next year!!:scared0018:

Now that's funny!
Lots out there but not enough snow and not cold enough for them to work bait hard yet.

Thunder Elk Hunter
12-09-2012, 08:57 AM
The lack of yotes is on the trap line as well. Started out very good this fall but the last 3 weeks have been very slow. Picked up 4 dogs yesterday these were the first ones in two weeks. No tracks into the bait either. Had a site were the guy lets us set up after hunting season, left it for two days and then set 30 snares on tracks. Caught one dog yesterday, last year on the first pull on that bait site we got 6. No were near the sign as last year. Was hoping to take 100 this year but will be luck to take 50.

Good luck with the yotes
TEH

rcmc
12-09-2012, 09:10 AM
My area, the coyote population is down hard as well, the harvest was quite high last winter but distemper or some other disease may also be factor.

top predator
12-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Piles around here. They have been hitting my moose and deer gut piles hard. Haven't had a chance to shoot them but see at least 2 every morning. From the kitchen...

But I will say one thing I have seen a lot less this year hunting all over the country. Usually have at least 5 under my belt by this time just from big game hunting. Only have 2.

grinr
12-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Now that's funny!
Lots out there but not enough snow and not cold enough for them to work bait hard yet.

I seriously doubt that cold or snow or lack of has anything much to do with it?Coyotes are opportunistic scavengers year round ,if they aren't hitting baits it's because there ain't no yotes there to hit it IMHO?

Grizzly Adams
12-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Gotta wonder if hunting is having an effect in certain areas. Some very dedicated guys around here and I haven't seen as many as I used to. Watched a dead cow east of Didsbury for a couple of weeks and one coyote showed up, after the crows and magpies had about done with her.

Grizz

C Taylor
12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Seen lots in oct. I've got six this year an 5 are mature dogs. Hutts have been snaring a impressive amount. I think most just ain't travelling much yet. Just had a month of every second truck on the road taking a poke at them. Dumb ones are dead now to get the challenging ones

deercamp
12-09-2012, 09:56 AM
good riddens to all them if the numbers are down, when there eating fawns and chasing the bucks around , nobody wants them around. North of edmonton theres tons, a deer gut pile wont be there in the morning, Everybody kills everyone they see, and so what if everybody buys an electronic and tries to call a couple in, even if there green and bag one in ten ,good on them.

IR_mike
12-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Gotta wonder if hunting is having an effect in certain areas. Some very dedicated guys around here and I haven't seen as many as I used to. Watched a dead cow east of Didsbury for a couple of weeks and one coyote showed up, after the crows and magpies had about done with her.

Grizz

And working in 314 to the west of you last fall I seen a ton of yotes.

greywolf
12-09-2012, 07:45 PM
My observation this year is similiar, not seeing near as many coyotes this year. Wonder if its a cyclical thing??????:thinking-006:

I've seen almost as many wolves this year as coyotes (6 wolves)???

Maybe we should focus more attention on harvesting wolves???? but thats another thread...

Mb-MBR
12-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Indians must have killed them all......................:argue2:

Red Bullets
12-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I've seen almost as many wolves this year as coyotes (6 wolves)???

Logic may suggest the wolves may be hunting the coyotes too. Wolves love eating coyotes. Then again, there is more hunters shooting yappers which may result in a decline. Coyotes may have had smaller litters this year too.

My bet would be that the coyotes are getting 'call shy'. Bait is something they might get wise too also. They are highly adaptable.

4thredneck
12-09-2012, 11:58 PM
I had 5 on my bait this afternoon, big, healthy ones. Of course the rifle was safely stored in the locker in the house:angry3:

dale7637
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I had the same convo with my FIL last night. He was saying coyotes are scarce at his place this year. He has 300+ cattle, so they should be around.

I am thinking that the wolves here are maybe putting a dent in them? Not sure, its just a thought.