PDA

View Full Version : Suffield Hunt an Incredible Experience

Hatman
12-08-2012, 12:49 PM
My hunt in the second season was incredible. My buddy and I never saw a cow in our hunting area for the first three days but numerous bulls which was worth the trip in itself. Day four most hunters stayed near south end of Zone One so we went to the north end and waited for daylight. I'm not as fast to get into action as most because I'm confined to a wheelchair so I really needed to have the elk come to me. And come to me they did. A huge herd of cows, calves, and small bulls busted over the hill behind us and passed by within 200 yards of me. They were 8 to 10 deep and stretched out for a quarter mile. What a racket with all the squealing, chirping, bugling, farting, and 6,000 feet pounding the frozen ground. All I could see in the rifle scope was eyeballs, arseholes, ears, antlers, and hair on the move and nothing to really shoot at. I didn't know what to do so I just took it all in. Finally a few cows at the tail end of the herd stopped and I dropped a nice 2 1/2 year old cow. Then I looked around and I saw elk on all sides of me. We were actually in the midst of around 1500 elk and they were all stopped by now. A few minutes went by before other hunters showed up and another 5 elk were shot before the herd left. I looked at my buddy Don in disbelief. It was hard to believe what had just happened.

pikergolf
12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Sounds like an incredable experience, with an elk to top it of. Thanks for sharing.:sHa_shakeshout:

NIKON
12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
What a racket with all the squealing, chirping, bugling, farting, and 6,000 feet pounding the frozen ground.

LOL.... I burst out laughing at this part......
Anyways
Wow sounds like you will remember that for a life time.... Sounds like an awsome experience

Nikon

elkhunter1234
12-08-2012, 01:45 PM
That great that it worked out for you, we were also there for the second hunt and totally enjoyed being able to drive around for 3 day and look at all those incredible bulls. I had to miss the Thursday because of work commitments but was back there for Friday to get the job done. It was an incredible opportunity for us hunter to take part in.

biggmac
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I was drawn for season 1. I wasn't able to go out until the 3rd day so I was a little apprehensive on the outcome.

I was the only one that morning that did not receive the full briefing so of course I was the last one out. Once my partner and I were done, we were in a mad dash to get out to zone 2.

Not sure how, but somehow we got lost by the radio tower and actually drove around for 1/2 hour trying to figure out where we were. We then agreed to go back where we came from and go around the zone to the north and then head south. That morning we were told the herd was in the south west corner.

Once back on track I started to see the flock of trucks, I knew I had to be close. As we were driving, trucks turned off the main road and headed into what I thought was off limits until you had your animal. We finall caught up to the herd as it was running to the south west. So I decided to try and cut them off on the 10 mile road.

I parked my truck in the ditch, loaded up as quickly as I could, and my partner and I ran to a nearby vantage point. Once we got there, elk were no where to be found. I thought WOW!, they are moving fast and already over the next hill. My partner said no, they are right over that hill and should be here any minute. Sure enough the hills started to move again with a herd of roughly 300.

Like I said, we were straight south on top of a hill waiting, but these elk were running southwest. Luckily for me, that a truck came out of the west and one was pushing from the south. These 2 groups basically funnelled the herd right to me.

As they were running towards us I was starting to panic as they were all together and couldnt't get a clear shot on a cow. A few times some dropped back but they were little spike bulls. I continued to wait patientally :sHa_sarcasticlol:, then all of a sudden a real nice big cow dropped back, and gave me just enough time to harvest her at 325 yards down hill about 30 degrees.

So thank you to the groups who funnelled them to me. Basically we were the last ones in, and the first ones out. My successful Suffield cow elk hunt was all of 1 hour and she was loaded by 9:30 am.

To all the Suffield base officers and to the conservation officer I met, you gentlemen were all professional, friendly and very helpful. Thank you to all.

AdamJ
12-08-2012, 02:45 PM
And here's hoping it will stay great for a long time to come.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2012/11/20121130-092635.html