PDA

View Full Version : 2013 south africa ( do's and dont's)

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 07:54 AM
hey guys, i know alot of u have been, hunting in south africa, iam leaving this spring on a trip for two weeks, and this will be my frist time, im saved my money and done alot of homework, i will be taking my bow and my newly built 375 ruger, i think i got everything down pat! iwas just wandering if there is any ( things that get over looked that some one with some experiance could fill me in on!! that would be much appricated!!

thanks boys

P.S if you have pictures of mounts u would like to share that out be great to!

C Taylor
12-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Pack a spare set of clothes in your carry on. With all the switching and long flights you won't be able to get to your luggage. Keep all valuables like cameras in carry on. What part are you going to

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 08:10 AM
namibia sir, just out side of windhoek, and thankyou, all make sure two do that.

C Taylor
12-09-2012, 08:11 AM
The area I was in the grass was loaded in wood ticks. Can't remember off hand what the medicine was called off hand but a good idea to ask a doctor for it. A few people had flu symtems because of them.

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 08:15 AM
ok sounds good, i was wandering about that as i was informed, i dont not need to worry about anything like that, but i was resreching all the creepy crawlers and dont like the look of some of them lol

C Taylor
12-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Thinking of heading that way myself come spring. I plan on going to the show in Calgary before booking tho. I have a great book at home that covers most of what you should have an why. If interested ill lend it to ya

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 08:21 AM
that would be awsome i would appricate that, i wll be at the calgary show as well, thats where i booked last year, and plan on trying to go agian in 2014,
i got my sites set with partick and hotfire on the eastcape next trip.

calgarychef
12-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I got tick fever and it's not too pleasant, and the medicine makes you susceptible to sunburn for a few weeks. Best to check yourself for ticks often, mine was on my derrière so it was hard to see the sneaky little bugger.

Take three sets of clothes and one to travel with the laundry usually gets done pronto so you don't need much. Your layover in Frankfurt will probably be long enough to go into town and see a bit of stuff. We went in and had a nice supper and wandered by the river. It'll help you sleep on the next leg of your flight. Drink lots of water on the plane and take it easy on the booze.

Take lots of photos and keep a daily diary as well as doing small videos a few times every day to chronicle what's going on at the time. You'll love those little videos when you get home.

I got a bit of taxidermy done and although I like it I'm not too much for stuffed heads, I wish I had gone with euro mounts and flat skins. Take a lot of pictures of your animals. Personally when I go back ill spend my money on a good camera and skip the mounts.

The sun goes down early in that part of the world and folks go to bed early, so take a couple of good books.

Finally if you haven't been to a third world country be prepared to see some weird and whacky stuff and approach it with an open mind. The camp staff are used to being second class citizens it seems Canadians treat everyone as equals. The staff will appreciate this but some of the local whites don't understand our views on equality so tread gently in certain conversations. I left a nice tip for the camp staff and the outfitter was touched, saying that money is a good help when you haven't got any. Candies, ccloring books etc. to give to the staff for their children will go a long ways. But don't think that these things aren't already available, it's just a nice touch. A leatherman would be very well appreciated by anyone. Hmmmm what else? Oh yea, the locals don't say good morning to each other or have a nice day etc....these were warriors not so long ago and niceties are considered a bit weird. Don't let the girls walk first, no ladies first its seen as a weakness but won't really be much of a big deal....just something I noticed.

Bring a power adapter for the African power plugs. Bring some Gatorade powder. The camp owner would really appreciate if you bring a bottle of your favourite elixir. Even if drinks are included, which they should be, it's nice not to totally drain your hosts reserves. Ask him if there's anything he'd like from North America, I think game cameras are pretty big on the list there. Discuss with the owner if you want wild game with every meal. It's nice to have it if its cooked nicely. Ask for those lovely pumpkin fritters if they make them....yum.

Bring your hunting boots, and a pair of runners for camp, shake them all out in the morning. You need a headlamp, alarm clock, etc. oh yea a steripen is also a "cracking good idea" they don't always have real bottled water and you can avert serious illness with the steripen...even if they think you're crazy use it. Bring your own water bottle, I like a couple of Nalgene bottles as theynworknwell with the steripen. Oh yea binoculars, they are yours and your only. Never let anyone share them, eye infections, aids that sort of stuff. Get the best travel insurance you can get, including evacuation costs.

If it was me I'd either be a bow hunter or gun hunter not both. Actually for the hassles I'd leave the gun at home but that's just a personal preference. Oh yea, lots of people talk about canvas gaiters to keep stuff out of their shoes, you might like this idea. Practice shooting a lot, and with the bow too. I missed a few good shots because I was hunting in hilly stuff and had trouble with the uphill and downhill shots. Not a concern if you shoot from a hide but for sure if you like to get out and actually bowhunt. You might have to push the outfitter a bit to walk and stalk with the bow, but do as much as you can because it'll mean more to you than a truckload of animals taken at a waterhole.

Have a fun trip!!!

PBHunter
12-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Get some "Safari Gaitors" - keeps and stuff from getting into your boots etc ...seems like every plant over there has thorns / spikes on it lol ...

http://www.boytharness.com/category.asp

search for "canvas gaitors" ... sure wish I had some whne I was over there

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 08:52 PM
thanks for everything soo far guys, this is all very helpful, and some things i have not thought about! thanks

Double_D
12-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Namibia is a good place for your first time or your ninth for that matter. The area you are hunting is very safe not much chance of catching any bugs there. Up in the caprivi there is lots of malaria though. Unless you are hunting buff or elephant you would be better served with you favourite deer rifle no mater what that might be. But if you are really into taking a .375 then hell why not. My only serious piece of advice is get several recent refrences and make a list of questions then spend a buck and talk to them on the phone. After nine trips I have had some wonderful times but one was almost a disaster because I didn't do my homework with a couple of phone calls. My last 2 trips were to Namibia and I got 2 Elephant and a buff, I guess that is a recommendation. One more thing have a look at flying to Frankfurt then air Namibia to Windhoek you will need to check you guns with customs in Frankfurt but they are gun friendly, it will keep you away from the potential gong show in Joberg or Cape Town, it worked well twice for me.

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Namibia is a good place for your first time or your ninth for that matter. The area you are hunting is very safe not much chance of catching any bugs there. Up in the caprivi there is lots of malaria though. Unless you are hunting buff or elephant you would be better served with you favourite deer rifle no mater what that might be. But if you are really into taking a .375 then hell why not. My only serious piece of advice is get several recent refrences and make a list of questions then spend a buck and talk to them on the phone. After nine trips I have had some wonderful times but one was almost a disaster because I didn't do my homework with a couple of phone calls. My last 2 trips were to Namibia and I got 2 Elephant and a buff, I guess that is a recommendation. One more thing have a look at flying to Frankfurt then air Namibia to Windhoek you will need to check you guns with customs in Frankfurt but they are gun friendly, it will keep you away from the potential gong show in Joberg or Cape Town, it worked well twice for me.

thanks double D i have phone quite a few people already. and think i am set, and yes its 375 all the way............... i usally hunt elk with my 450 nitro :) lol

sheephunter
12-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Namibia isn't South Africa...;)

You'll love it there. Very safe country and super friendly people. Take half the clothes you think you'll need and get yourself a pair of safari gaiters....best investment there is.

Dukoral is your friend when traveling. Saves you from losing any days to stomach problems. I go to a travel doctor before you go to see what else they recommend. I'd go for Twinrex for sure. Hepatitus is fairly common in Africa.

Practice a ton shooting off sticks before you go..........

Check out the Safari Club International Blue Bag Program. We took 150 pounds of school supplies over with us...it was really cool delivering them to the school.

Take a few extra days to check out Etosha Park.

Have all your gun paperwork filled out before you arrive in Namibia...it makes things go way faster. Getting guns in and out of Namibia is a breeze. Don't forget your temporary firearm export permit from Canada. It makes coming home much simpler and is technically required by law.

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Namibia isn't South Africa...;)

You'll love it there. Very safe country and super friendly people. Take half the clothes you think you'll need and get yourself a pair of safari gaiters....best investment there is.

Dukoral is your friend when traveling. Saves you from losing any days to stomach problems. I go to a travel doctor before you go to see what else they recommend. I'd go for Twinrex for sure. Hepatitus is fairly common in Africa.

Practice a ton shooting off sticks before you go..........

Check out the Safari Club International Blue Bag Program. We took 150 pounds of school supplies over with us...it was really cool delivering them to the school.

Take a few extra days to check out Etosha Park.

Have all your gun paperwork filled out before you arrive in Namibia...it makes things go way faster. Getting guns in and out of Namibia is a breeze. Don't forget your temporary firearm export permit from Canada. It makes coming home much simpler and is technically required by law.

haha you are very right its not!!....... and thankyou did not know of the temporary gun permit, where would i go about finding this sir? firearms office?

sheephunter
12-09-2012, 09:48 PM
haha you are very right its not!!....... and thankyou did not know of the temporary gun permit, where would i go about finding this sir? firearms office?

No, that would make too much sense...lol

Here's where you go http://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/firearms_armes_a_feu/permit-licence.aspx?view=d

Double_D
12-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I am huge .375 fan so no argument here. 4 buff with the .375 but there is no replacement for a little safety factor, like a .500 x 3 1/4" for the big guys.

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 10:00 PM
No, that would make too much sense...lol

Here's where you go http://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/firearms_armes_a_feu/permit-licence.aspx?view=d

thankyou sir, this makes way more sense! lol

appricate everything

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I am huge .375 fan so no argument here. 4 buff with the .375 but there is no replacement for a little safety factor, like a .500 x 3 1/4" for the big guys.

sounds good! thanks

Double_D
12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I new nothing about the permit till last trip and I had to scramble on short notice to get it but they were very helpful. Funny thing on return to Calgary none of the RCMP had ever seen it when I checked my guns home. They essentially ignored it,how sum ever I will always get one in the future. Another point is if you haven't burned your old gun registration card take it along they are handy when moving guns to different jurisdictions while in Africa, but it's not necessary.

thumper
12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
x2 on keeping a daily diary. Also tuck away neat little things you find like porcupine quills, geaunni fowl feathers, thorns and some red sand.
Soccer balls for the staff's kids make great gifts. Make sure that your PH understands the kind of hunting you prefer, and what you don't want to do (like perhaps chase down plains animals and shoot from a moving vehicle). Consider getting your taxidermy work done in Africa - it employs locals and adds value to their wildlife, making wildlife conservation and the safari industry more important to government. Make sure your taxi directions are clear - for instance, some places like to stain/paint horns - if you want them left the natural colour, make sure that they understand. Gemsbuk horns are often stained very dark/black and kudu horns heavily oiled. Their taxi prices are good, workmanship good, and you can get some interesting 'euro-mounts' done there on local wood plaques and perhaps with local artwork. When the crate finally arrives, it's like Christmas - you just put everything up on the wall!

Here's a couple of ideas on what you can get done:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/Africa/IMG_2743.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/Africa/IMG_2733.jpg

sheephunter
12-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I new nothing about the permit till last trip and I had to scramble on short notice to get it but they were very helpful. Funny thing on return to Calgary none of the RCMP had ever seen it when I checked my guns home. They essentially ignored it,how sum ever I will always get one in the future. Another point is if you haven't burned your old gun registration card take it along they are handy when moving guns to different jurisdictions while in Africa, but it's not necessary.

Ya, I usually have to explain it to the CBSA people too although when we came back from New Zealand the officer in Vancouver asked to see it before we pulled it out. Make sure you get it signed on your return and send it in.

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Ya, I usually have to explain it to the CBSA people too although when we came back from New Zealand the officer in Vancouver asked to see it before we pulled it out. Make sure you get it signed on your return and send it in.

this this a very good tip!, thankyou!............ is there anywhere u havent hunted yet sheephunter? lol

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 10:21 PM
and thanks for the input and pictures, thumper, that rug and and gun case looks awsome, i really like it!

sheephunter
12-09-2012, 10:23 PM
this this a very good tip!, thankyou!............ is there anywhere u havent hunted yet sheephunter? lol

Still a pretty long bucket list but man, travelling and hunting is addicting. Just experiencing so many different cultures is incredible. Namibia was our first African experience. We are going to give South Africa a try in 2013. Hopefully Mozambique after that. I could never get enough of Africa. This won't be your only trip.....

scottyboy22
12-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Still a pretty long bucket list but man, travelling and hunting is addicting. Just experiencing so many different cultures is incredible. Namibia was our first African experience. We are going to give South Africa a try in 2013. Hopefully Mozambique after that. I could never get enough of Africa. This won't be your only trip.....

yes my list is huge as well, soo as long as my conoco keeps signing my invoices, all keep going!, and ur about the 10th guy to tell me once i get the " African bug" thats
it im done lol

sdkidaho
12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Great info! If I ever go to Africa I'll be sure to come back for all these tips!

scottyboy22
12-10-2012, 04:38 PM
thanks for all ur input guys! very much appricated once agian!

wcbarker
12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Slow down and enjoy. Seems like everything over there happens to fast.
So just slow down and take it all in.
Oh ya you cant take enough pics, and dont delete till u get home.

Sneeze
12-11-2012, 09:56 AM
I have never gone on a hunting trip abroad, but I have spent some time in Airports of third world countries.

Make sure you understand what your guide expects of you at the airport. Airports are magnets for scammers and crooks, especially in poorer nations. There are a ton of scams they can pull on you. The most common being - "helping" you carry your bags and then extorting a massive fee from you.

The first time I was in one of these airports it almost overwhelmed me. You leave the security gate and are slammed by a wave of people with good intentions and bad. I do not know for certain if the airport in Namibia is like this, but I would imagine it is.

Have a clear understanding of where you are going to meet your host, how you collect your gear, the description of your host and his vehicle. Think like a crook for a few minutes and figure out how you can protect yourself.

Also, research what the average income in the country you are going to is. There will be times you will want to tip somebody that does not work for the outfitter. In some countries a $20 US is the equivalent of a week’s wages. Giving it to a boy that helps you with your bags, or a waiter who gives you good service is a great gesture - but you have to remember that it would be like somebody giving you around $1500 here. It brings unwanted attention to you and the person you are tipping.

sheephunter
12-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I have never gone on a hunting trip abroad, but I have spent some time in Airports of third world countries.

Make sure you understand what your guide expects of you at the airport. Airports are magnets for scammers and crooks, especially in poorer nations. There are a ton of scams they can pull on you. The most common being - "helping" you carry your bags and then extorting a massive fee from you.

The first time I was in one of these airports it almost overwhelmed me. You leave the security gate and are slammed by a wave of people with good intentions and bad. I do not know for certain if the airport in Namibia is like this, but I would imagine it is.

Have a clear understanding of where you are going to meet your host, how you collect your gear, the description of your host and his vehicle. Think like a crook for a few minutes and figure out how you can protect yourself.

Also, research what the average income in the country you are going to is. There will be times you will want to tip somebody that does not work for the outfitter. In some countries a $20 US is the equivalent of a week’s wages. Giving it to a boy that helps you with your bags, or a waiter who gives you good service is a great gesture - but you have to remember that it would be like somebody giving you around $1500 here. It brings unwanted attention to you and the person you are tipping.

Some great advice there. The Airport in Windhoek is thankfully very small and really doesn't have the hustle and bustle of some other African airports so you should be fine but as pointed out, there are scammers everywhere. A couple American dollars goes a long ways when tipping in Airports and such in Namibia.

scottyboy22
12-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Some great advice there. The Airport in Windhoek is thankfully very small and really doesn't have the hustle and bustle of some other African airports so you should be fine but as pointed out, there are scammers everywhere. A couple American dollars goes a long ways when tipping in Airports and such in Namibia.

thanks very much guys, i was thinking about this the last week and kinda googleing it, but that makes the picture clear!

scottyboy22
12-11-2012, 04:08 PM

thanks for all ur input guys! it helps out alot!!