PDA

View Full Version : Chain lakes report

Fishingaddict
12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Well was not the best day fishing got one rainbow:mad0100: on a minnow also tried corn and dew worms. Ice was 6-7 inches quite a few quads on the ice. Left after an hour got very cold. Tried the ice tent but our two chairs would not fit need pails. So was not the best day but we caught a little pan fry.:sHa_shakeshout: good way to start out the season.

TROLLER
12-09-2012, 01:20 PM
First, you have asked before what bait and no one said anything about minnows or dew worms at Chain.

Most guys told you they use cheese (velveta) power bait and corn.

It is called ice fishing so you must dress for it. If they don't bite then drill some more holes somewhere else. Keep moving till you find some.

Better luck next time.

Fishingaddict
12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
First of all I got a pm from a guy who got all his fish on dew worms secondly my dad wanted the minnows for variety and they must have been alright since they caught they only fish all day and thirdly I was very warm all except for my hands.

Gust
12-09-2012, 01:28 PM
First, you have asked before what bait and no one said anything about minnows or dew worms at Chain.

Most guys told you they use cheese (velveta) power bait and corn.

It is called ice fishing so you must dress for it. If they don't bite then drill some more holes somewhere else. Keep moving till you find some.

Better luck next time.

So I should use smelts with large trebles until someone gifts me a sunflower propane heater?
Biggest peeve for me is when people ask questions but arent interested in any answers they get.

Kid, use mealworms and/or velveeta cheese.

Dont quote my post but write out what we told you to use.

kostianych
12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
regarding the minnows - check the regs:

A. For Trout-Stocked Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds in ES1 that are named under “Alberta’s Fish Stocking Program.”
Open all year – Trout limit 5; bait, except bait fish, allowed. All other game fish species limit 0.

Fishingaddict
12-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh:scared0018:

Fishingaddict
12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
And gust I was going to use velveeta but it was $8 for the smallest block:sign0176:

gr8tbigkid
12-09-2012, 04:17 PM
:thinking-006: its pricy but lasts all year still got mine from last lol little tinny treble( just bit bigger than piece corn!):scared: one little piece corn on one of the three hooks of treble.... smaller than hook smother it with the cheese..like a little blob it sticky and messy but play withit gitit to stick so looks like a blob cheese round the corn the corn kinda helps cheese to stay on drop it down bottom bring up foot and ya you may hafta move round little to find where they are swimming once yu do it be awsome fishing sometimes its a matter of 6 feet from holes had even in the tent 4 holes only 2 biting and the two holes are 2feet from each other both with rods in them?? and even tryed swapping rods to other hole its just the path they are swimming once the cheese kind floats off the hook yu need to recharge it and 2nd the bite is sooooo lite most times if you have a stiff rod you wont even seeit hafta put those spring bobber thingy on end same if you go for perch you hafta have it make all diff in catching fish ! same goes with perch gota move round find them sometimes i drill bunch holes to find that sweet spot!!:sign0161: you shud have no prob getting limit at chain if you follow i have few friends use worms they do work but not like the cheese....8 bucks last all year cut chunk out put in little container so that you dnt waste too much better than minnows..5$ and need to buy everytime ......:scared0018: good luck!

trainerdave
12-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Smelts and herring are not bait fish...they are bait so can be used where bait is allowed.

Fishingaddict
12-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Aren't they?

trainerdave
12-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Look under " fishing with bait fish " in the regs. It defines which species may be considered bait fish and clearly states which ones are not. You were not breaking any rules if there is no bait ban in effect.

Fishingaddict
12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Ok will check

trainerdave
12-09-2012, 08:34 PM
ES1 stocked lakes and ponds unless otherwise stated bait except bait fish allowed. 4 Lakes in ES1 do allow bait fish...and bait too...

Fishingaddict
12-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Look under " fishing with bait fish " in the regs. It defines which species may be considered bait fish and clearly states which ones are not. You were not breaking any rules if there is no bait ban in effect.
You are absolutely right it states that minnows are baitfish except for goldfish carp and. The western silvery minnow and that's what I was using.

trainerdave
12-10-2012, 06:00 AM
If you have any doubt about which bait to use just contact the Calgary Fish and Wildlife office. They will help you with definitions to make sure you are fine.

iliketrout
12-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Better luck next time, but you're going to have to stay out for more than an hour if you want to catch more fish.

Fishingaddict
12-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Better luck next time, but you're going to have to stay out for more than an hour if you want to catch more fish.
I understand that.

Fishnafterwork
12-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Is it just me or is reading this thread painful

TROLLER
12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Is it just me or is reading this thread painful

Yup I got a huge pain somewhere in the backside. Love to help out younguns but this is getting a bit painful to say the least.

Gust
12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I dont think he's a youngin myself.

lds
12-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Anything sizeable comin outa chain? Only fished it once and caught a bunch of 8-10" rainbows

Fishingaddict
12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Yup I got a huge pain somewhere in the backside. Love to help out younguns but this is getting a bit painful to say the least.
What's that supposed to mean?:confused:

TROLLER
12-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Anything sizeable comin outa chain? Only fished it once and caught a bunch of 8-10" rainbows

Welcome to Chain Lakes. If you put in huge hours and keep thowing em back you will eventually find the 12 to 14. I did once catch a 16 but that was while trolling and maybe on hour 1500

TROLLER
12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
What's that supposed to mean?:confused:

Hmmm let me think:thinking-006: Must mean pain in the butt, or pain in the butt cheek or pain in the well I think you are starting to get it figured out.

Your questions have been answered over and over again. If you want anymore info use the search. Or better yet stay fishing for more than an hour at a time you may learn something.:sign0161:

Fishingaddict
12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Ok everyone I was told by many members that when I get back to post a report and I did and I am getting slammed for it. I had more help than just what was on posts many pm's as well like for the dew worms and sorry I forgot to get hand warmers who cares! I know very well that to catch fish I need to stay out for more than an hour. I am not one to get mad but I am just doing what I told.

ogre
12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Well, got one rainbow on a minnow, also tried corn and dew worms. I'll try cheese and fill in the blanks next time I fish Chain Lake. Ice was 6-7 inches. We saw quite a few quads on the ice. Left after an hour because my gloveless hands got very cold. Tried the ice tent, it was AWESOME, but in the future I'll bring a couple of pails for sitting and a heater. So it was a short day but we caught a little pan fry.:sHa_shakeshout: good way to start out the season.

*edited for you :bad_boys_20:

Good job on your first outing! Keep the reports coming!

Fishingaddict
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Ok thank you for showing me how to write a report first time. I was wearing gloves actually I have no clue why they got cold I am getting the hot paws for next time on the topic what are good gloves for ice fishing?

rocky97
12-10-2012, 07:30 PM
This is a very sad thread, kid you really gotta learn some respect for people that are trying to help you and how is it someone that is so into fishing did not read the regulations for that lake they were fishing the use of minnows in bull trout bearing waters is a big no no, consider yourself lucky you were not caught buy fish and game. The next time you go somewhere new read and understand the regs, know your target species and do some reading for how to catch them in the conditions you will be facing, this is alberta the land of ever changing weather dress warm in the winter layers is the key. Fishing is fishing the only way to get better at it is practice and experience. You cant expect to be spoon fed all the information you will need, you need to get out and figure it out for yourself. If they are not biting your doing something wrong in a lake like chain you can expect to catch 50+ in a day so if your not catching reevaluate what your doing and change accordingly till you have success. Things to to keep in mind trying somewhere knew, are u to deep or to shallow? is my bait to big for what i am fishing for or to small? does this look like a good place for structure? do rainbow trout like minnows usually not hatchery fish are use to basically being raised on what u would feed your fish in a fish tank so use something like power bait or cheese that looks like what they are use to, and most important dress for the condition always be ready for what mother nature is gonna throw at you.

Fishingaddict
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Okay sorry everyone for asking to many questions :( never meant to be annoying I am aware I post a lot and again I am very sorry:(

trainerdave
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I am not sure why a few fisherpeople do not realise you just want to learn and every mistake they ever made was not put in print before thousands of people. And by the way you were fully within the regulations for that lake and if those who are doing the flaming would read the regulations themselves perhaps they too would discover that. Fishing with bait is allowed at chain lakes . Fishing with bait fish is not. Many fish species are legal to use as bait where bait is allowed as they are not considered bait fish. Like I said it is a public forum and anybody can say pretty much whatever they want and that includes you. Some day I hope you have as many wonderful fishing adventures as many of us had. Respect is never conditional with some of us. P.M. me if you want. Most of the people on this forum just wish to help-you do not have to engage everybody as obviously everybody has differing levels of patience and understanding. Thanks Ogre. Good night.

tysonlazo2
12-10-2012, 09:39 PM
X2 spent 8 hours on a lake for 2 perch and 2 pike

outandabout
12-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I am not sure why a few fisherpeople do not realise you just want to learn and every mistake they ever made was not put in print before thousands of people. And by the way you were fully within the regulations for that lake and if those who are doing the flaming would read the regulations themselves perhaps they too would discover that. Fishing with bait is allowed at chain lakes . Fishing with bait fish is not. Many fish species are legal to use as bait where bait is allowed as they are not considered bait fish. Like I said it is a public forum and anybody can say pretty much whatever they want and that includes you. Some day I hope you have as many wonderful fishing adventures as many of us had. Respect is never conditional with some of us. P.M. me if you want. Most of the people on this forum just wish to help-you do not have to engage everybody as obviously everybody has differing levels of patience and understanding. Thanks Ogre. Good night.

X2

Gust
12-10-2012, 11:17 PM

Good post,,, but we learned without the assistance of the interwebs, trial-erroor-exploration-trial-error-repeat,,, or in more laymans terms "fishing".

I will give tips and even a spot or two but there needs to be effort too, like just going out
to a lake with hooks and ask fishermen out at a lake tips on fishing. If a kid asks me for advice out there they will get some plus a few lures.

A week or so ago a few of us seasoned fishers got some great advice from a young kid and his younger brother,, you never stop learning something.

It's how one asks I guess,, or how one takes advice.

ogre
12-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Generally fleece lined gloves and mitts works best as they will be more efficient trapping heat when wet and then frozen. However, you do need to keep your hands dry so bring a towel for wiping your hands after handling fish. A side note is to wet your hands before contacting any fish which you might plan on releasing because wet hands won't rub off as much fish mucus as dry hands might.

If you are looking for warm waterproof gloves, I think a pair of sledding gloves will be best because of the long cuffs.

And kid, learn to let some of the more outrageous flames roll off your back, you'll be a happier forum member because of it.

Fishingaddict
12-11-2012, 03:38 PM
What's a flame and is it bad?

Fishingaddict
12-11-2012, 03:49 PM
What do all you guys use for gloves like specific brands if possible thanks

fisherrr
12-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Good post,,, but we learned without the assistance of the interwebs, trial-erroor-exploration-trial-error-repeat,,, or in more laymans terms "fishing".

I will give tips and even a spot or two but there needs to be effort too, like just going out
to a lake with hooks and ask fishermen out at a lake tips on fishing. If a kid asks me for advice out there they will get some plus a few lures.

A week or so ago a few of us seasoned fishers got some great advice from a young kid and his younger brother,, you never stop learning something.

It's how one asks I guess,, or how one takes advice.

Thanks for the good post.
you never stop learning. Time=patience=frustration=fish