PDA

View Full Version : Hunting wolves

leftiesarebetter
12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I am thinking about going out west durning the Christmas holidays to try and take out some wolves and Yotes. But I have never hunted wolves before. What are some techniques used to hunt them?

msheppardbrown
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I am also interested in hunting a wolf. Any tips would be helpful. Is it similar to calling in coyotes with distress calls?

thunderheart
12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
i think this is going to be an interesting thread ..thanks for starting it

CanuckShooter
12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I am also interested in hunting a wolf. Any tips would be helpful. Is it similar to calling in coyotes with distress calls?

Yes, only they are a lot smarter!!

One technique is to pile snow in the middle of a frozen lake, or snow covered field and put a dark non-reflective blanket on top of it. Then you set up a blind based on wind/sun direction so you can see lots of the edges of where your covering. Keep well hidden and cow call (elk/moose) and glass along the edges. They will come to see what is out there in the middle, the smart ones won't usually come much closer than that to investigate. The dead ones will think it a downed/injured moose.

st99
12-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Wind is everything, make sure they can't come downwind unseen. And stay longer on stand than coyotes, 2 or 3 hours. You might want to bring a snack for the ravens to do the callings for you, and to my experience, they get ****ed off on the coyote callenge howl, so be ready for a quick shot.

Speckle55
12-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Hope this helps

David:)

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=153067&highlight=wolf+hunting

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=148789&highlight=wolf+hunting

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=117257&highlight=wolf+hunting

mcreg
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
As with any other hunting, make sure you are in an area that has lots of "fresh" sign? Wolves travel a pattern and my experience has been that it takse them approx. 4-5 days to complete a circuit? So unless you see fresh sign they may not be within calling range. It has also been my experience that if you howl and they hear it, they have to answer, almost like it is in their DNA to do that? That's always how I start my pursuit.
I too am going to try to bag a wolf or 2 during the Christmas holidays?
Good luck.

msheppardbrown
12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
As with any other hunting, make sure you are in an area that has lots of "fresh" sign? Wolves travel a pattern and my experience has been that it takse them approx. 4-5 days to complete a circuit? So unless you see fresh sign they may not be within calling range. It has also been my experience that if you howl and they hear it, they have to answer, almost like it is in their DNA to do that? That's always how I start my pursuit.
I too am going to try to bag a wolf or 2 during the Christmas holidays?
Good luck.

Great advice. When I get out, I will sure try that out. Thanks!

Gumbi
12-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Ya me and my group are goin out to try and clean up those elk killers to, got a few packs to get on. Ones is over 25 dogs, half are black.

Rocky7
12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Ya me and my group are goin out to try and clean up those elk killers to, got a few packs to get on. Ones is over 25 dogs, half are black.

Good luck. That's a big pack.

A friend tells me there's some packs in MT now that are huge, so I guess they will pack up big. I've never seen more than about a dozen in a bunch.

Gumbi
12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
i have it on vid ill try to find it, i missed one of them 8in low at 500 yards. Try to upload it tonight to youtube kinda a funny vid....

diamonddave
12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Love to see that video!!

top predator
12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Me likes

finsnfeathers
12-11-2012, 01:48 AM
i have it on vid ill try to find it, i missed one of them 8in low at 500 yards. Try to upload it tonight to youtube kinda a funny vid....

Love to see this if you find it!!

buckman
12-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Had success hunting river valleys,get up on a high point, wolf howl if you know how or use cow elk calls.If they are in earshot they will come in as long as you have the wind.

Never found wolves that smart,just hard too find due to the fact they travel more than coyotes.

Make sure you hit them hard through the chest,tough animal to kill in my experience.

Good luck.