PDA

View Full Version : Bail Blind

baptiste_moose
12-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Boys. I am looking to build a few round bail blinds over christmas. Does anyone have experience with this? I was gonna use hog fence and burlap/ hay but I know there's gotta be someone out there who has built and could send me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

fortyseven
12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Do you mean a bale blind? A blind made to look like a hay bale?

bezner
12-09-2012, 08:01 PM
your on the right track, my advice is to build them on a solid wood floor on wheels that can be taken off, easier to move with a quad or truck, have the one whole end as a door with a window on each side....thats the only advice i can give you. ive seen some with twine wrapped around them with some old straw glued or tied to them...cant wait to see some pics

MKD
12-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Have used concrete wire. Hog fencing may do the same thing.
Weave local flora into mesh. We do not use burlap.
Make it long enough to overlap and you should be fine.

Guess it will depend on your target species. birds or big game.

good luck.

mad fisher
12-10-2012, 11:53 AM
We built two of them this year. And our first attempt went not too bad.

We used Rebar Mesh and Sediment wrap. I bought the sediment wrap from Nilex in Edmonton. It is the straw roll that you usually see in the ditches during construction of new highways.

Just some wire and zip ties and done.

The only issue we had is that the roof was just wire and a tarp so snow load collapsed the blind a bit. And the wind blew through them enough that heat wouldn't stay in....

Next year we are building square bale blinds and are going to use plywood for the sides and wrap it in the same material.

The blinds worked great. First night a deer came within 5' of the blind I wasn't sitting in........lol

Gumbi
12-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Found this one for an example..
http://www.scottsrealbaleblinds.com/BALE_DETAILS.html

dale7637
12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
We built a couple. We built a frame out of 2" abs pupe and then sheeted with burlap.
Nic and rigid but also light to pack around.
We built one smaller then the other so that they would nest together for transport. We built the tops so that they remove easily to nest th together.

wwbirds
12-10-2012, 06:42 PM
light portable and easily set up and take down.
I bought one many years ago.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/wwbirds/goosebusters/DSC_0886.jpg