PDA

View Full Version : Going Coyote hunting in the morning.

ali#1
12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Never gone Coyote hunting specifically before, But the last few weeks the bug has bitten me and I have bought myself a fox pro, mojo critter , and A few other things, Question is do I need to bring my shotgun aswell?

Bound2Fish
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM
I guess that depends on how close you want to get the coyotes to you.

krthegunslinger
12-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I have been yote calling 7 years and I don't pack a shotgun. It's only real advantage is if 2-3 coyotes come in fast and up close. If your good with your rifle and can get onto them with the scope when they are close up your rifle is all you need. IMO a second gun is just mote to carry.

ali#1
12-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks guy, I don't believe I have far to walk (less than 1/2 mile) but the less to pack the better.

Jimboy
12-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Take some big orange strong garbage bags , put the coyote in , then spray in a massive dose of RAID , seal it good , and dont take the family dog with you if you dont want him to get fleas.

ali#1
12-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Take some big orange strong garbage bags , put the coyote in , then spray in a massive dose of RAID , seal it good , and dont take the family dog with you if you dont want him to get fleas.

I don't have any raid and wont have a chance to get any before I go in the morning, I will take a few garbage bags though, thanks for the tip.

ali#1
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Went all day, 5 different stands, 2 different locations, nothing not even A sniff of a coyote,did the things I have heard set up 50-75 yeards away, Call for at least 25 minutes per stand, Had the mojo going and still nothing, Anybody have some tips or maybe somewhere else to try?

dogslayer403
12-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Really watch your wind, and don't be afraid to try different sounds just dont over do it switching sounds on one stand. If nothing else works stick with the pup distress it seems to be the call to fall back on. Also try switching it up with the same sound on your foxpro and a mouth call. I know some guys only do short calls and wait but with the electrics I have had better luck leaving them on continuous till I see one. good luck

ali#1
12-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Really watch your wind, and don't be afraid to try different sounds just dont over do it switching sounds on one stand. If nothing else works stick with the pup distress it seems to be the call to fall back on. Also try switching it up with the same sound on your foxpro and a mouth call. I know some guys only do short calls and wait but with the electrics I have had better luck leaving them on continuous till I see one. good luck

I thought I was doing things ok but who knows, I tried watching the wind one stand it was a cross wind, One it was coming toward me, The others I can't remember, I was trying different sounds, Always start with the locator for a few cycles, Then switch to jack in distress and after a while go to pup in distress, maybe there were just no coyotes where I was?:sign0161:

winger7mm
12-11-2012, 12:52 AM
I thought I was doing things ok but who knows, I tried watching the wind one stand it was a cross wind, One it was coming toward me, The others I can't remember, I was trying different sounds, Always start with the locator for a few cycles, Then switch to jack in distress and after a while go to pup in distress, maybe there were just no coyotes where I was?:sign0161:

Maybe not, with the craze now-a-days lots of guys are getting the electronic calls. Same sounds, same calls. Yotes are smart critters they figure it out. There is a reason they say if you shoot at a yote better kill it or else you just educate.
I find with a distress call such as a rabbit, they will try to wind you, get into an area where they can try to wind you within shooting range. Really watch your movements, expesially when coming into the stand, odds are they seen you coming. Keep at it though, once you get it figured and bring the first one it its alot easier :) I tried for a couple weeks with nothing before a member on here took me out and showed me the ropes. I dont have problems now, I can get a dog 3 out of 4 stands now, for a second seasoner thats good :)

Lefty-Canuck
12-11-2012, 09:13 AM
When you start calling limit your movement. How far was your vehicle parked from where you call? If they can see the vehicle its over before you start.

IMHO, pick up a few hand calls and practice with those. They will give you an edge over electronic callers.....everyone has one of those now.

When you were calling did magpies come in to the call? They are a great indicator to see if you are making the right sounds or not.

LC

ali#1
12-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I did have a falcon/eagle to swoop on the mojo a couple times, Also had a few crows crowing.I parked a ways away you couldn't see my truck from where I was either, Guess I'm going to have to double down and try harder next week.

scooter123
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Keep at it....and it true about the magpies......I also have noticed sometimes the magpies will follow the coyote to the call.....happen to me a few times..see magpies...keep a close watch!!

Good luck!!