PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish around calgary area?

tuka
05-29-2008, 01:51 AM
is there any place to fish for anything but pike and walleye 2 hours or closer to calgary? any places that allow bait , but no small trout under 30 cm ??
i been to reddeer river/sibbaldcreek/bowriver/ the mountains
thanks in advance fellas i really need some directions if possible ,
only thing i found out that there's some magazine that shows you where to go for fishing, anyone know where to find this magazine?

Scott N
05-29-2008, 04:02 AM
The magazine you are thinking of is probably "Barry Mitchell's Guide to Fishing Alberta." You can find it just about anywhere, but your local Canadian Tire likely has it stocked by the cashiers. I'm not completely sure, but I think that any body of water that allows bait fishing is likely a lake that has been stocked. As far as I know, any lake / river that has size restrictions also has a bait ban. I'm sure someone can correct me if they know otherwise. If you want to fish with bait, I think you're limited to the lakes that have been stocked.

Pick up the fishing guide at your local Canadian Tire (or probably Safeway, Macs, etc.), then you will be able to find some of these lakes:

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/fishingalberta/pdf/2008Stocking.pdf

The Fisherman Guy
05-29-2008, 04:37 AM
The book that Scott describes is the book you are looking for.

If you want to catch trout, try Chain Lakes south of Longview. Also McLean Pond, and Payne Lake are good choices.

tuka
05-29-2008, 12:19 PM
thanks guys, i was at chain lakes a few days ago cought a 30 cm fish(world record trout) is it easy to look up those ponds? or are there any special service roads you gotta take, etc. i know of a few of these ponds in drumheller
but i cant find the way on any map

Scott N
05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
thanks guys, i was at chain lakes a few days ago cought a 30 cm fish(world record trout) is it easy to look up those ponds? or are there any special service roads you gotta take, etc. i know of a few of these ponds in drumheller
but i cant find the way on any map

Barry Mitchell's guide lists the lakes / streams by fish management zone with easy to get to directions. For some of the smaller mountain lakes that may require a hike, try picking up a trail guide, the kind that hikers and other back country users find helpful. A good one available at Wholesale Sports (and other locations too) is the "Backroad Mapbook Road & Recreational Atlas." They are available for different parts of the province i.e. SW Alberta, and offer much more detailed directions on how to get to many different lakes and streams. They also include topo maps.

It sounds like you are new to Alberta? If so, where are you from?

tuka
05-29-2008, 11:05 PM
i know lots of nice places just lookin for more places since im only into bait fishing , fish dont bite that fake stuff in alberta

Scott N
05-30-2008, 05:05 AM
tuka, you should learn how to fly fish. It gives you a whole lot more fishing options in Alberta, especially for trout.

BobLoblaw
05-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Let's have a great big Alberta Outdoorsmen welcome for our newest
comedian, Tuka; welcome to AO.