PDA

View Full Version : Why so secret?

PureCDN
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I've just moved out here from BC and before that Ontario, and the one thing I notice time and time again is no one tells anyone what they use or where they catch the fish they catch. I don't get it, back home we would tell our buddies and other like minded fishers what lake was hot and what to use. So why here in Alberta, does no one talk about the fish they catch or where they get them? I can't catch a fish to save my life, except for walleye wich I'm not allowed to keep, so I'm getting pretty discuraged over all of this. Isn't this why people come to outdoor forums? For help and tips? Hell I can't even get a straight answer outta the guy from the fishing store! Any help on this topic would be great!

Cheers, and good luck out there.

PS if you want to share a lake near the Base that has fish in it feel free to email me, or share here.

thorne
12-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Easy answer to that is Alberta has the worst sports fishery in Canada, with a huge user to lake ratio. So when guys get a spot they want to keep it to themselves or next time out there will bee 100 1/2 ton trucks parked on top of him. Take cross lake for example 2-4 years ago you might see a dozen or so vehicles in the winter...last year someone let the cat out of the bag for perch, and Volia....just like someone put a Tim Hortons drive through out there...anyway that's the reason. However be a little more specific and little less criticism and I am sure someone will throw you a hint.

Geezle
12-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Easy answer to that is Alberta has the worst sports fishery in Canada, with a huge user to lake ratio. So when guys get a spot they want to keep it to themselves or next time out there will bee 100 1/2 ton trucks parked on top of him. Take cross lake for example 2-4 years ago you might see a dozen or so vehicles in the winter...last year someone let the cat out of the bag for perch, and Volia....just like someone put a Tim Hortons drive through out there...anyway that's the reason. However be a little more specific and little less criticism and I am sure someone will throw you a hint.

This post sums it up pretty well...too many people, not enough fish. I did a quick search on your posts, and it doesn't really look like you've put a lot into it...on the forum at least.

I don't know the area so I can't help a lot, but ask specific questions and follow up the replies you do get...and don't be afraid to do a little homework on your own...look up bathymetric maps to find depths and structure and work from there.

justinO
12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
What exactly do you want? Do a little research on past threads many people on here give lots of help. I have drawn maps for people with pretty much a step by step way of catching fish. If all you want to do is go out and kill every fish you catch well then the help will be limited from me anyways.

What species are you looking to target? What Lakes? Maybe we can help you out
Welcome

Gust
12-10-2012, 08:21 PM
The very first forum I ever joined eas this one, but I had been living on the coast for 12 years and hadnt ever looked up a fishing forum. So while visiting calgary, I posted not only a great days fishing but also where, when and how. A week later the spot was trashed.

Now my tips and spots are strictly via pm and only after I have read enough posts where it looks like a newb or a new to the area has given it a go.

I think there are almost 1 million fishers in alberta, including kids and seniors.

Which base are you at?

lake side
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Alberta is oil rich but water poor.....

LS.....

PureCDN
12-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Tell you he truth I know even less about how to use a forum then I do about fishing. I haven't replied alot on here cause it just took me 4 minutes to figure out how to reply and I don't even know if I'm doing that right. I've tried fishing the N Sask River, didn't do well. I've tried Cardiff and Mornville pond, skunked every time I go out there. I was even out there this morning and the only other guy caught fish I didn't get a bite. The only luck I've had is where the red water river meets the N Sask. Anyways I'm not trying to sound like a complainer, I just can't seem to catch fish. Maybe it's bait? Maybe it's the lures? Maybe it's the wrong times. I know nothing about trout I've never been a big fan, I'm a pike, perch, walleye kind of guy. I don't have a ton of money so I don't have a camera or sonor for ice fishing so I'm kinda looking at maps where I can find them and trying to find those ridges and deep holes. Anyways my original post about secrets I get it now, it's like back in Ontario and you would catch a fish around an americian and soon you would be able to walk across the lake on Americain boats. Cheers and thanks for any help you can give me and any other fisherman new to the province.

waterninja
12-11-2012, 05:35 AM
welcome to the forum pure. i'm sure it won't be long before you start posting pics. from lake x. in the meantime if you let us know what kind of fishing your interested in i'm sure you'll get some good general information.

3blade
12-11-2012, 06:34 AM
hey, i live close to the area so here's some info:

cardiff: winterkilled 2 years ago so no perch yet, gets hammered in summer buy people who kill 8 inch stocked trout. maybe a few left but it'll be slow.
morinville: reservoir is same as above. the F&G pond has an open spot all winter usually, but lower stocking numbers so gets fished out, and you cant keep perch there.
nakamun : dont know this year, was great last winter, then fish stopped biting around march. prone to winterkill.

honestly you are not gonna find pike/perch/walleye fishing here like what you had in ontario, unless you go to slave or cold lake. keeper sized fish close to cities get killed off quick, and quiet spots are treated like classified info. lots of driving and exploring will eventually pay off. good luck

Tyangelo
12-11-2012, 06:57 AM
It sounds like you could use some experimentation/experience when it comes to scouting fresh water.

Hands down, the best lake is can think of to practice this on, would be Wabamun. Lots of fish, and most species. Get that dialed in, and you'll be punching less and less holes on other lakes, before you find fish. Practice pays off.

HunterDave
12-11-2012, 09:23 AM
I haven't decided if I'm going to take the sled out today or go icefishing. If you read this and you want to go fishing send me a pm and I'll go out to the Morinville Rez with you and show you the spots I like to go to. I have a couple of new toys to try out and I want to make sure that I have all of my kit together and it's working right anyway.

I don't mind sharing a couple of other spots with you that most people are too lazy to get to.

TheLegend
12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Take up fly-fishing and go explore the east slopes and rockies. LOTS of places people don't go and a lifetime of places to explore. (In the summer of course)

Rabdo
12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Are you even reading the forums dude?? There is a ton of information here. A small minority of people don't say where they caught their fish, but the majority of people will tell you what lake, what time, what lure, what bait, directions. If you read the and search the forums, you'll have more info than you know what to do with. Just get out there and fish! Good luck

Winch101
12-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Firstly, it is a known fact that fisherman have always been a selfish lot .

There actually has been too much , info given out on here .....I dont know how much money I have spent to garner the vast amount of knowledge I have....About fishing from red deer south...but if you ask my wife it is too much.
Now that I am fully retired , I am thinking of starting a fishing info. service.

Provide total info on every lake , and reservoir and river in the south,
with maps , marking the secret spots , reefs , best launches and of course best presentation . Might even include a day on the water to make sure
you are up on the latest tricks, to catch walleye, pike , perch , trout-s...

What do you think a novice or just a lazy person might pay for this ...

At todays gas prices a $1000.00 would be cheap..

Just an idea ....???? I could offer some advice my mother use to give me
almost every day in my teens...." GET OUT OF BED YOU LAZY NO GOOD BASTARD , YOUR JUST LIKE YOUR FATHER , GET A JOB YOU NO GOOD HIPPY,
ANY WAY you get the jist ..:scared0018:

Most people on here are willing to help in a general way just dont ask for coordinates.....

ogre
12-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to SRD maps to start you on your journey.
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/MapsPhotosPublications/Maps/PrairiesAreaBathymetryMaps/Default.aspx

And a very comprehensive collection of knowledge:
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=31662&highlight=jts1

Tight lines.

*edited

latenite
12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
sent you a private message

baptiste_moose
12-11-2012, 05:19 PM
If your having problems in the N sask that's a bad sign. The best fishing in this province is in the rivers. More nutrient rich and more food that just seems to always drift in Thier direction. The N sask is one of the best. Water level and clarity play a huge role as well as presentation. I've caught a handful of pike over 15 lbs and a few walleye over 10. All from shore.

junglejay7320
12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
lets put this in a different light...say you want to try tropical salt water fishing...say in costa rica...well where do you start???what captains are good???how big of a boat do i need to charter???inshore/offshore?bottom fishing???can i fish from shore???how to clean a 40 pound dorado...what part of the country is the best fishing???what kind of tackle???what bait do i use???
why are you asking all these questions...because you are new to this type of fishing...i live in cr and it's easy for me,because i did my home work here for the last five years...gringos ask all the time and i try to help,because i was there once...
you want to talk about expensive,try chartering a boat @ 800-1200 dollars for a day of fishing...the funny part is that the guy who is asking about fishing in cr ,is the guy in alberta that is calling his fellow albertan a lazy guy that needs to go buy a map drill a 1000 holes chasing perch all winter....

WayneChristie
12-11-2012, 07:05 PM
welcome to Alberta and to the forum. Lots of people willing to help out here, you will meet some great people, and lots of people on here who just like to beatch about everything and anything. Exploration is the key thing, Ive found amazing areas to fish by just driving , and also from studying the SRD and anglers atlas maps. Sure we have a lot of people to fish little water, but I can go out any day and fish and never see another soul, you just have to look around. Dont believe what people say about our fish not comparing to Ontario fish, we have just as many if not more big pike and walleye, we could certainly use a few bass lakes, and some muskie too, but we have lots of amazing fishing and a ton of big fish. If you are ever down south look me up, I will show you what I mean.

PureCDN
12-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Well with the help of some great people on here, and not giving up I caught some fish today, well alot really but I threw back the first 5 because I forgot how small perch were and though I'll just take the big ones. Well the big ones didn't do alot of biting but I got a few of those for supper. I caught a pike too in a perch hole, never would have thought that would happen! Anyways my biggest problem I found out was too big of hook and lures. Fish for perch here you guys use small hooks and you catch fish, I tried a bigger one today in the heat of it, and got nothing, so stick with what you know. Oh and to you people out there that think I'm LAZY, I'm a full time firefighter and father, and been in the military for 20 years, so really just because I ask questions doesn't mean I'm Lazy. Cheers and good to see another forum user out there today.

ogre
12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Awww man, where were you when Wayne set himself on fire? or when BGSH melted his pants. These two awesome guys need people like you to look out for them.:budo:

Okotokian
12-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Because we don't like people from BC and Ontari-ari-ario.
:scared0018:

I'm kidding

maybe

no, I'm really kidding

Fishingaddict
12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Because we don't like people from BC and Ontari-ari-ario.
:scared0018:

I'm kidding

maybe

no, I'm really kidding
That's mean.

Okotokian
12-11-2012, 09:05 PM
That's mean.

You saw the small print, right?

Fishingaddict
12-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Yes I do oh well not the meanest thing ever said here lol :)

jeffelter
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
this is true i learned to be very tight lipped after lake X trip:angry3:

Kim473
12-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Small hooks, 1/2" to 1ft off the bottom, don't move the hook too much, and watch your rod tip and or line. You probly had lots of bites but didn't know it. Small fish, 8lb test line at the most. I have 2 rods. 1 = 4lb test the other has 6lb for wallies and large trout, whites. I fish mostly for perch so I use 4lb most of the time. Point is, start with light line and if you find the fish are breaking it off then go heavier. If your target is pike, you may want to go to 15 lb or more. I find that the line is as important as the hook. Most fish will mouth the hook and lift it so watch your line and rod tip for movement.

You will have to drive a little to find fish, try long lake for perch or N.Buck. May want to try nakamun lake for perch, mostly 6" but there are some 10" and bigger.