PDA

View Full Version : UW cameras

Bobby B.
12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
My SIL, Super Dave, and I started ice fishing last winter. I purchased a tent, an auger, a heater, etc.. We were both nubies and pretty much still are. Last winter, we fished exclusively for rainbow trout other than one outing for burbot with my cousins at Lac Sante.

Since we enjoyed ice fishing so much, this spring I purchased a 14 ft. aluminum boat, a trailer and an electric motor.

We still want to target trout and I'm considering the purchase of a UW camera. Does anyone have experience with cameras and is willing to provide their opinion on which is the better cameras? I'm thinking to purchase a Marcum.

BTW, the reason I'm considering a camera is because I believe viewing what the fish are doing will educate us to be better fishermen.

Of course, if anyone is also willing to provide some pointers on what lures, what bait, what depth, etc. we should find trout at, your help would be much appreciated.

Bobby B.

thorne
12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
MARCUM all the way!!! Not only excellent units but second to none in customer service! All their cameras have excellent cameras and monitors. the price just goes up for things like bigger screens and directional arrows, water temp , depth, color ect...but ther cameras provide the same level of picture clarity...all very, very good no mater what price level.

bwackwabbit
12-11-2012, 08:58 AM
x2 Marcum

No need to spend big, look on kijiji and watch the flyers for Cabela's, WSS etc. I have the VS380 and it is awesome! cost me $200 and works a treat. Colour doesn't matter after a certain depth anyways.

Cheers.

Rabdo
12-11-2012, 09:59 AM
x3 Marcum

travrgtr
12-11-2012, 09:59 AM
You don't specify what kind of trout. If you're going for lakers you'll want a flasher. If you've got the means, the dual unit from vexilar looks pretty cool. I've got the vexilar colour camera and it works fine. Also have the fl20 flasher.

Bobby B.
12-11-2012, 10:05 AM
We want to fish for rainbow trout. Most likely the lakes we will fish are Carson, Millers, Dolberg, and Chain Lakes up by Athabasca.

Bobby B.

thorne
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
x2 Marcum

No need to spend big, look on kijiji and watch the flyers for Cabela's, WSS etc. I have the VS380 and it is awesome! cost me $200 and works a treat. Colour doesn't matter after a certain depth anyways.

Cheers.

yep yep and yep. The video I posted was with the Marcum 380 at 10'. and to be honest the quailty of the you tube up load still does not show the clarity of what the screen was like. you can easily double the clarity...if not more.

Kim473
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Have a aquavu and wish I had gotten a marcum in the same price range. Saved a couple of bucks but it wasn't worth it.

THERICARDO
12-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Anyone tried a Gopro Camera for fishing UW? Used ours for diving in Carribean last winter and wondering if anyone has tried it for fishing?

FishingFrenzy
12-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Anyone tried a Gopro Camera for fishing UW? Used ours for diving in Carribean last winter and wondering if anyone has tried it for fishing?
Wont work with just the normal gopro as you have to hook it up to a PC after recording, I.E. you can't watch the fish live, only afterwards. Now you can get the Wifi Bacpac and the Hero 3 with built in wifi, you can view the footage live on your smart phone. Seems like a great idea. I hear the app still has some kinks to work out, but in the next year it could be very functional as a fish-cam... this is a great idea. I get my hero 3 in the mail tomorrow, Im really excited to try it out now that you gave me the idea!!!

THERICARDO
12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I just updated to the Hero 3 also as I loved the 2 and made sence with the upgrades and with the wifi Master diver can watch from the boat as you are down checking **** out. Should have mentioned the Wifi onto smartphone app... Checked and temp is not an issue with the Hero 2 or 3... PLan on running it through my Ipad so let me know if you try it out before I do..

thanks

THERICARDO
12-11-2012, 05:31 PM
dbl post

Lefty-Canuck
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Here is a thread showing some vids on my Marcum camera. I got it on sale from WSS South for about $220.00 tax in.

Note: the waves in the picture are due to me recording the TV image with my cell phone.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=126811&highlight=marcum

LC

liar
12-11-2012, 08:06 PM
marcum

wildcat111
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
once you use a camera , you will turn back, there awesome. i won't ice fish with out it, there probably the best investment next to a tent

wildcat111
12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
once you use a camera , you will turn back, there awesome. i won't ice fish with out it, there probably the best investment next to a tent

meant to say you will never turn back

Mike_W
12-11-2012, 11:22 PM
I have a marcum and I like it ... I like all marcum products.

UW cameras are neat but I really don't like them especially with finicky fish like trout and whitefish. I don't believe any fish acts "naturally" in front of a camera.

Damien70
12-11-2012, 11:31 PM
I have the AquaVu Explorer 5 and I have no issues. Be real boring ice fishing without it. Doesn't have quite the range I'd like but works for me.