PDA

View Full Version : Winter Ice Fishing Boots

AppleJax
12-11-2012, 08:46 AM
So, I'm looking into picking myself up a pair of winter boots for ice fishing and snowmobiling. I'm leaning towards Baffins, and a friend suggested a pair of wind rivers. Just wanted to see if anyone has some personal experience/opinions before I make the purchase. Money isn't really an issue I just want a good pair of boots to stay warm and last me for years. I don't need steeltoe as I already have a pair of Dunlops.

thorne
12-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Baffins or Sorel...cant go wrong. Something you can never spend enough money on is good boots!! Just make sure you get them at Marks so if you don't like them a month down the road you can try something else, no hassle!

fish gunner
12-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Canadian military arctic issue boots for when it's really cold ie not water proof .baffin rubbers for under -25 my 5€.

bwackwabbit
12-11-2012, 09:02 AM
My wife and I both use Muck Arctic Sports. I use mine ice fishing and she has a pet sitting/dog walking service and is out all day, everyday in the winter heavy snow, ice etc. and she swears by them as do I.

Cheers.

AppleJax
12-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Baffins or Sorel...cant go wrong. Something you can never spend enough money on is good boots!! Just make sure you get them at Marks so if you don't like them a month down the road you can try something else, no hassle!

Very true, should never cheap out on your feet. I have a $500 pair of backpacking boots I bought 5 years ago and they still work great! I'll check out Marks thanks for the advise!

HunterDave
12-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I got a pair of these a couple of years ago for sledding that I'm going to use for icefishing as well. I shopped around quite a bit before buying them and they seemed like a good bang for the buck. The same sort of style that you'd find in the pac boots at Cabelas for double the price.

http://www.xtremesledparts.com/Altimate_Boots.htm

Mike_W
12-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I have cabelas predator extremes and really like them they are lace up so they feet your feet well and don't seem too clunky as a result.
They are rated to -140.

I would also check out thremacell heated foot insoles!!!

Jamie Black R/T
12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
My wife and I both use Muck Arctic Sports. I use mine ice fishing and she has a pet sitting/dog walking service and is out all day, everyday in the winter heavy snow, ice etc. and she swears by them as do I.

Cheers.

x2....im not even careful anymore when lifting the auger:)....you can soak em and let it freeze and your feet will still be warm and dry.

AppleJax
12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Does anyone have a pair of Baffin Apex boots, the lace up style?

AppleJax
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM
I got a pair of these a couple of years ago for sledding that I'm going to use for icefishing as well. I shopped around quite a bit before buying them and they seemed like a good bang for the buck. The same sort of style that you'd find in the pac boots at Cabelas for double the price.

http://www.xtremesledparts.com/Altimate_Boots.htm

Did you order those online, or is there a store in town that has them in stock? I'm hesitant on buying a pair of boots without trying them on first.

HunterDave
12-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Did you order those online, or is there a store in town that has them in stock? I'm hesitant on buying a pair of boots without trying them on first.

I bought them online direct from the manufacturer or Canadian distributor. I think it was in Toronto and they cost me about $100 shipped two years ago. If you are concerned about trying on before buying I'd suggest looking at Cabela's for either the Predators that Mike_W mentioned or the Inferno 2000. They'll cost a bit more but you can use them hunting, fishing and sledding.

dragon
12-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I hate heavy boots so I wear my rubber boots. If it goes below -10 I put in a tow warmer. Colder than -20 i wear my steel toed work boots that are good to -too cold for my @$$.

Also I wear spikes on my boots. Simple and cheap addition. Doesnt benefit on snow covered ice but if your shack slicks up from the heater you will be glad you have them.

iliketrout
12-11-2012, 09:48 AM
I use Sorel -70's and a pair of merino wool socks and a pair of Bama socks (thanks again TFG!). Was out hunting for a week in -25 and no issues, and none so far on the ice.

Just make sure your feet stay dry and your core stays warm. That will minimize the heat loss through your feet and your warm core will keep blood flowing to your extremities.

Nikanit
12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I have a pair of Baffins from Mountain Equipment CO-OP rated for -100C, and so far they have proven to be pretty much bomb proof. I've ice fished and hunted for hours in them, and felt absolutely no cold. I was only wearing thin acrylic socks because quite frankly, you don't need heavy duty socks. Mine are women's but these ones here (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/WinterBoots/MensBoots/PRD~5025-965/baffin-endurance-winter-boots-mens.jsp) are the same...

kinwahkly
12-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Arctic Muc boots

pond jumper
12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I picked up a pair of windriver boots this winter and think they are excellent.Very warm with nice insoles that wont come out and rubber soles that won't slip on ice.Also this is a marks work wear house brand and they back up there products .

kevinhits
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I bought a pair of wind river -100 boots at Marks, and they were on sale for like 70 bucks and they are very warm. The liner comes out which is a little annoying but for the price, they are a great boot

Bigdad013
12-11-2012, 01:10 PM
I have the Dakota propac composite. -100 (would like to see if the feet do say warm at -99). Full safety boot. Never had a chill in them, but they are a fairly heavy boot. You get a good leg workout if you walk for any distance.

t-hunt-3
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I have the Dakota propac composite. -100 (would like to see if the feet do say warm at -99). Full safety boot. Never had a chill in them, but they are a fairly heavy boot. You get a good leg workout if you walk for any distance.

I bought a pair a few weeks ago at marks and they are heavy but may be the best boots I've owned, the steel toe is in them but if you don't mind the weight of a good boot then, these are ultimate

Falko
12-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I also wear the Dakota pro-PAC composite rig tech boots. Actually wearing them right now. -35 with the windchill last week and my feet were toasty warm over long stretches of no activity running controls. Worth the 200$

Kim473
12-12-2012, 05:09 AM
Check walmart, -100 min rating and water proof. Where you will get the best price. Mine are actualy out door work boots with steel toe. My feet actual start to sweat when its -15 and I do any walking. Allmost too warm.

Willowtrail
12-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Another vote for the muck arctic sports. Great for hunting, fishin and sledding

MoFugger21
12-12-2012, 09:58 AM
I've got a pair of the -70 Wind River boots, and have only had one issue with them- and that was a couple years back during the Stamps playoff game (vs the Riders) when it was -25 or so and we were standing on snow and cold concrete, and my feet got a little frosty. Other than that, I can't remember a time when my feet got chilli in the boots. I would definitely recommend them.

javlin101
12-12-2012, 10:20 AM
sledding

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/arctiva-mechanized-trukke-boots.html

Ice Fishing or general boots for the lake etc. sorels or wind river -70, not sure.

tacklerunner
12-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Those life time warranty RedHead hunting/all purpose socks at Bass Pro are awesome. Wicks away sweat & moisture when it's mild and your -100 boots are too warm. Very comfy & not itchy like some wool.

Tungsten
12-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Another vote for the muck arctic sports. Great for hunting, fishin and sledding

X3 on the mucks

huntin'fool
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
YES to Muck!!
I love mine!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Muck8482-Arctic-Pro-Boots/1224109.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Darctic%2Bpro%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearc h-All%2BProducts&Ntt=arctic+pro&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Just be careful with the sharp auger blades. I sprung a leak on my last pair by not being careful...:dork:

super mario
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
X3 on the mucks

x4

johnmcpaka
12-13-2012, 06:14 AM
I also recommend to wear warm woolen socks. A friend of mine recommended these thermal socks (http://www.fishandhuntsocks.com/19-thermo-socks?pk_campaign=d&pk_kwd=4) he was satisfied with, I will try them this year.

FishingFrenzy
12-13-2012, 09:09 AM
If walking on I would avoid the bigger, heavier "snowmobile" type boots. I'd go with a pair of highcut insulated hikers. I have a pair of $70 hikers with thinsulate from walmart, I wear them with wicking socks and heavy wool socks and never get cold feet. Super nice to have smaller lighter boots when your running and gunning trying to find fish!

fishnfoo
12-13-2012, 12:35 PM
I have a pair of camo infernos from Cabelas. Super warm and not bad for hiking.