PDA

View Full Version : Another Big Alberta Whitetail rack

67Elmo
12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Taken by a buddy on Nov. 28. I don't know why he didn't take the entire head...to me its strange he only wanted the antlers not a head mount.

West of Calgary. More there running around this size for next year. Alberta is becoming the "new Saskatchewan" if you want a trophy whitetail.

Looks to be a very, very nice trophy to me...

bonecollector10
12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
lol whyd he put a sask tag on it then?

Lefty-Canuck
12-11-2012, 03:02 PM

X2.....LMAO

This one has made the rounds on the internet....Saskatchewan deer.

The rack was taken only because the rest of it was eaten by coyotes and birds.

LC

NayNay
12-11-2012, 03:02 PM

lol

67Elmo
12-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I never noticed...I must be the victim of a cruel prank...I will punish him...

But its a nice whitetail for sure, despite the province...Just repeating what I was told....

catnthehat
12-11-2012, 03:06 PM

But its a nice whitetail for sure, despite the province...Just repeating what I was told....

Somebody was pizzin' down your neck and told you it was raining!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

pikeslayer22
12-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Is that your buddy in the pic?

The Spruce
12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Shot near Goodsoil Sak. I am told it nets in the 210 range. Shot in a** and found 2 days later....just spine and antlers. I think I would have been looking for it myself if I had shot it. Although I wouldn't have let the spine picture circulate!:scared0018:

shakeyleg02
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM

Rolmfao

Lefty-Canuck
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM

Is that your buddy holding the rack?.....that would be the first clue to me he wasn't telling the truth.....or if he said, "Well its my deer but my Uncle Albert is holding it!" LOL

LC :)

Springer
12-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Is that your buddy holding the rack?.....that would be the first clue to me he wasn't telling the truth.....or if he said, "Well its my deer but my Uncle Albert is holding it!" LOL

No kidding hey, this is hilarious! Especially now that West of Calgary is where everyone is gonna swarm to next year for Huge Whitetails...should take pressure off the rest of the Province.

Thanks for sharing though lol..

ceedub
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Got a pic of that one texted to me about 10 days ago too......

-Craig

jaylow?
12-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Hahahaha. :lol: best thread I've seen in a long time!

canuck
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Major pwnage :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Great deer tho!

hal53
12-11-2012, 06:19 PM
It's a great Deer, but i have family in the area, and from what I'm hearing, it will be scored as "found", too many holes in the story???...dunno?

CaberTosser
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
I heard from a reputable source that it was shot in Sunsetrider2011's horse paddock by guys with no permission, they gave all the credit to the pool noodle as it was the biggest factor in their 14th shot finally being successful.

Lefty-Canuck
12-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I heard from a reputable source that it was shot in Sunsetrider2011's horse paddock by guys with no permission, they gave all the credit to the pool noodle as it was the biggest factor in their 14th shot finally being successful.

I am still trying to figure out if the fact the guy used a 7mm monometal bullet that travelled too fast to expand and didn't dump enough energy into the deer is the reason it took 14 shots?

mxer117
12-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Taken by a buddy on Nov. 28. I don't know why he didn't take the entire head...to me its strange he only wanted the antlers not a head mount.

West of Calgary. More there running around this size for next year. Alberta is becoming the "new Saskatchewan" if you want a trophy whitetail.

Looks to be a very, very nice trophy to me...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/pauldonahue717/coolstorybro.gif

double gun
12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Here I fixed the photo for your buddy

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/herm338/dually1.jpg

ports
12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
forgot the calgary tower in the background

ports
12-11-2012, 07:07 PM
and the pool noodle

whitetail Junkie
12-11-2012, 07:10 PM

:lol:

sunsetrider2011
12-11-2012, 07:13 PM

How the hell did I get involved? wackos and their stories, Nice buck found or not,

huntin'fool
12-11-2012, 08:07 PM

HILARIOUS!!
Well done!

Alberta Bigbore
12-11-2012, 08:13 PM
LOL on the pic edits.

Nice rack

hayseed
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
What a howl!!

Taken by a buddy who looks nothing like this guy who shot this one in Sask!!

OMG!! My sides hurt!!

I'm sorry but thats hilarious....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

chain2
12-11-2012, 11:31 PM
oohohhh somebody got Punked :sHa_shakeshout: but damn that's a epic white!

chain

ishootbambi
12-11-2012, 11:36 PM
i cant decide whats funnier....cabers horse paddock, or the duelly pic. threads like this make this place worthwhile....:sHa_shakeshout:

Springer
12-12-2012, 05:14 AM

Thats Awesome DG well played !!

honda450
12-12-2012, 08:11 AM

From this pic you can see why. Shame that he lost it to the yotes. Them critters clean right up. Buck of a lifetime.

Now what would you do? Leave it as a rack only or get a donor cape?

I would probably get a donor cape, but would still bug me as it ain't the original.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/d11.jpg

bonecollector10
12-12-2012, 10:30 AM
From this pic you can see why. Shame that he lost it to the yotes. Them critters clean right up. Buck of a lifetime.

Now what would you do? Leave it as a rack only or get a donor cape?

I would probably get a donor cape, but would still bug me as it ain't the original.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/d11.jpg

Was it actually shot near goodsoil?

DEAD ON
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Would he have to put his tag on that or could he claim it as found dead game and get a permitt for it?

Lefty-Canuck
12-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Would he have to put his tag on that or could he claim it as found dead game and get a permitt for it?

Depends what he wants out of it....

If he shot it, lost it and then found it and wants to enter it in a record book it needs to be taken legally during a season, he would have to tag it.

LC

BeerSlayer1
12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Alberta is becoming the "new Saskatchewan"

This thread is too funny!

chain2
12-12-2012, 04:04 PM
This thread is too funny!

x2...it's a tickle me 67elmo thread:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:j/kchain

Kurt505
12-12-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm beginning to think its possible that it might have been hurt by another buck while fighting then finished off by yotes. If it looks like that when you find it, it should be considered as found, or picked up.

canuck
12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm beginning to think its possible that it might have been hurt by another buck while fighting then finished off by yotes. If it looks like that when you find it, it should be considered as found, or picked up.

Sounds as if you are against hail mary shots and then being proud of claiming your trophy from following the ravens
:scared0018:

Kurt505
12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Sounds as if you are against hail mary shots and then being proud of claiming your trophy from following the ravens
:scared0018:

If you shoot, and you hit, and there is snow on the ground, I don't see why the coyotes and ravens should beat you to the prize. I know a lot of guys say if your not sure about the shot back out. BUT THAT'S ARCHERY!!!! I can see backing off for a half hour maybe hour tops. When you have a rifle in your hand, and you've already got one shot in him, go get him! If you can't be sneaky enough to get within eyeshot of a wounded deer, perhaps fishing is a more suitable outdoor activity, that's all I'm saying. Especially a deer of that magnitude. I literally wouldn't have left the woods.

canuck
12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
I expect that the shooter made a valiant attempt to find the buck (after a questionable shot) as I'm sure we all would.
And I also expect that all here would spend every waking minute in the following days looking for the remains (or another chance at it) as this fellow probably did.

Question is, would you post pics of yourself proudly holding up the remains and grinning like a Cheshire cat?

hal53
12-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I expect that the shooter made a valiant attempt to find the buck (after a questionable shot) as I'm sure we all would.
And I also expect that all here would spend every waking minute in the following days looking for the remains (or another chance at it) as this fellow probably did.

Question is, would you post pics of yourself proudly holding up the remains and grinning like a Cheshire cat?
....or he might be grinning because he put a tape on a "found" Deer, before he decided to use his tag?????....just sayin......

canuck
12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
....or he might be grinning because he put a tape on a "found" Deer, before he decided to use his tag?????....just sayin......

True enough
I admit I don't know the whole story
(just reading between the lines)

Lefty-Canuck
12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
If you shoot, and you hit, and there is snow on the ground, I don't see why the coyotes and ravens should beat you to the prize. I know a lot of guys say if your not sure about the shot back out. BUT THAT'S ARCHERY!!!! I can see backing off for a half hour maybe hour tops. When you have a rifle in your hand, and you've already got one shot in him, go get him! If you can't be sneaky enough to get within eyeshot of a wounded deer, perhaps fishing is a more suitable outdoor activity, that's all I'm saying. Especially a deer of that magnitude. I literally wouldn't have left the woods.

How many times have you tracked a wounded animal?

Trust me just cause they have been shot nothing is an absolute.

LC

Kurt505
12-12-2012, 08:18 PM

LC

I have been a whitetail guide for 12 years, I've tracked a few, and I've been fortunate enough to have hunted with a few people who I consider to be almost super natural in the way they understand and can read nature. I know nothing is absolute, but I also know the extremes I have gone thru to find a wounded animal. I was just making an observation on the pic, and how I feel it should be entered into the books.

I've found dead deer before, deer I never shot. If it is indeed a new world record, there's gonna be a royal inquest I'm sure.

double gun
12-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I think its funny that every time a big buck goes down, there is a few trying to shoot holes in the story hoping to uncover some big conspiracy.

pickrel pat
12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
I think its funny that every time a big buck goes down, there is a few trying to shoot holes in the story hoping to uncover some big conspiracy.

9 / 10 they are right though...

Jamez74
12-12-2012, 09:27 PM

Did you actually read the op and the rest of the thread? This thread is a prime example of why there are the conspiracy theories.

Would still like to know how the op didn't realize that wasn't his "buddy" in the picture lol.

gman1978
12-12-2012, 09:32 PM

LC

Lefty, I agree with you on this. I don't care if you are the worlds best super hunter nothing is absolute with a wounded deer. Especially in the thick stuff with no shooting lanes. They can stay ahead of you for days and you will never see them.

bingo1010
12-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Lefty, I agree with you on this. I don't care if you are the worlds best super hunter nothing is absolute with a wounded deer. Especially in the thick stuff with no shooting lanes. They can stay ahead of you for days and you will never see them.

sooo true!!!

double gun
12-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Did you actually read the op and the rest of the thread? This thread is a prime example of why there are the conspiracy theories.

Would still like to know how the op didn't realize that wasn't his "buddy" in the picture lol.

Nothing to do with the op. These pics have been floating around way longer than this thread. Jealously makes people say strange things. But the op is very funny.:)

double gun
12-12-2012, 09:37 PM

X3 or the guy shot it at last light, and waited till morning to recover it.
What are you gonna do if you do find it after dark and it's not dead? Run after it? Not every big buck is poached, or has some big conspiracy around it.

Kurt505
12-12-2012, 09:58 PM

If the buck can stay ahead of you for days, you won't have to worry about the yotes getting him before you do.

Again, I was stating how I felt the deer should be entered in the books. Also, if it were my deer, I wouldn't have left him lay over night, I would have been on him. If he was wounded bad enough to die, and then be eaten over night, there is a good likelyhood he would have been dead and retrievable that evening. If the guy shot it and figured he'd wait till the next morning to go look for it, he found exactly what he was looking for.... Ravens, hair, and a skeleton with a set of antlers on it- which leaves the door open to questions. Did he kill the deer, or was it the yotes that killed it? If it was the yotes killing a wounded deer, should it rightfully be considered killed by the hunter or found or picked up?

Lefty-Canuck
12-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Exactly! Some people get it, or have lived it. You hit a deer too far back or in the liver and push them after 1 hour, you may never find it and if you do....it will look like the deer in the pictures in this thread.

LC

pikeslayer22
12-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Exactly! Some people get it, or have lived it. You hit a deer too far back or in the liver and push them after 1 hour, you may never find it and if you do....it will look like the deer in the pictures in this thread.

LC
X100...anyone that has hunted for long enough has had to have that happen to them!

catnthehat
12-13-2012, 06:52 AM
If a person shoots a deer within the windo0w of 1/2 hour of legal shooting time, then stsrts trying to track it, he's contavening the hunting regulations.

Some people maybe think they are okay with that, but iIwon't be traying to track a deer down after legal light with a rifle in my hands.
One of a guid's resposibilities is to make sure your clients stay within the law, and that would not be within the law.
Cat

catnthehat
12-13-2012, 07:28 AM
The above post is only my opinon, BTW.....
Cat

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 07:34 AM
If a person shoots a deer within the windo0w of 1/2 hour of legal shooting time, then stsrts trying to track it, he's contavening the hunting regulations.

Some people maybe think they are okay with that, but iIwon't be traying to track a deer down after legal light with a rifle in my hands.
One of a guid's resposibilities is to make sure your clients stay within the law, and that would not be within the law.
Cat

What page of the regulations does it say you cannot have a rifle in your possession before or after legal light? If this is infact the law, my clients have broken it every single time they've walked into, or from their stand in the dark.

I find it funny how people on this forum like to pick appart a statement all in the name of an argument.

I don't care how you, or anyone else chose to hunt, or what you chose to to after wounding a deer. I have lost a big buck to coyotes once myself, and I believe that's because I decided to leave him lay. Now I do things differently.

What page?

catnthehat
12-13-2012, 07:39 AM
What page of the regulations does it say you cannot have a rifle in your possession before or after legal light? If this is infact the law, my clients have broken it every single time they've walked into, or from their stand in the dark.

I find it funny how people on this forum like to pick appart a statement all in the name of an argument.

I don't care how you, or anyone else chose to hunt, or what you chose to to after wounding a deer. I have lost a big buck to coyotes once myself, and I believe that's because I decided to leave him lay. Now I do things differently.

What page?
There is absolutely nothign in the regulations saying you cannot go for a walk after dark with a rifle, THAT is not the intent if you are on the trail of a wounded deer , now is it?
Paint it anyway you want to, you yourself know what yourr intent is , and so did I as soon as you brought uo that loophole.
FACE IT, you would be hunting a wounded deer, and if you saw it and it went to get away, you'd let it if you had a rifle,ijn your hands and it was after dark?
I could care less if it was 40 oints bigger than the Hansen buck, what you would do for the sake of a big antlered deer would be illegal.
Cat

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 07:47 AM
FWIW, part of hunting is tracking. Tracking involves reading sign and signs of a hit....if you have good lung blood, going after an animal soon after the shot is usually ok. If you have liver blood going after them right away, especially in tight bush is a bad idea. I will leave it at that. Sometimes things need to be left overnight....just the way it is. Things like weather play a role in the decision to hold off or continue.

No one here knows the true circumstances surrounding the deer in this thread....it has a tag on it, the hunter claimed it. If it is a found dead and he tagged it as part of a recovered deer....that's between him and himself. If he shot it and lost it and then found it after the coyotes got on it...kudos to him for keeping up the chase and finding it, not the best way to find it but he stuck with it. If he tagged it because he shot it, also kudos for him to stop hunting and accept how things played out.

LC

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 07:52 AM
There is absolutely nothign in the regulations saying you cannot go for a walk after dark with a rifle, THAT is not the intent if you are on the trail of a wounded deer , now is it?
Paint it anyway you want to, you yourself know what yourr intent is , and so did I as soon as you brought uo that loophole.
FACE IT, you would be hunting a wounded deer, and if you saw it and it went to get away, you'd let it if you had a rifle,ijn your hands and it was after dark?
I could care less if it was 40 oints bigger than the Hansen buck, what you would do for the sake of a big antlered deer would be illegal.
Cat

You are ASSUMING I am willing to do something illegal to kill an animal, your ASSumtion is offensive and couldn't be farther from the truth.

Common sense must be used, both in tracking a deer, and accusing people of poaching.

There's obvious signs if a deer is mortally wounded, and there are signs if a deer is hit but isn't going to die from its wound, would you like me to further explain myself and what I personally do in each case?

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 08:01 AM
FWIW, part of hunting is tracking. Tracking involves reading sign and signs of a hit....if you have good lung blood, going after an animal soon after the shot is usually ok. If you have liver blood going after them right away, especially in tight bush is a bad idea. I will leave it at that. Sometimes things need to be left overnight....just the way it is. Things like weather play a role in the decision to hold off or continue.

No one here knows the true circumstances surrounding the deer in this thread....it has a tag on it, the hunter claimed it. If it is a found dead and he tagged it as part of a recovered deer....that's between him and himself. If he shot it and lost it and then found it after the coyotes got on it...kudos to him for keeping up the chase and finding it, not the best way to find it but he stuck with it. If he tagged it because he shot it, also kudos for him to stop hunting and accept how things played out.

LC

You are correct, and seems like you understand where I'm coming from.

I have recovered dead deer five hours after dark, with NO firearm in my possession. If I know an animal has been mortally wounded after immediatly tracking him, or within an hour of shooting him and bump him out of bed with a deep pool of dark blood, I'll back out for 2-3hour and then return to retrieve him. Again, I have retrieved a buck in the same state the one in the pic was retrieved and I wasn't happy about it, that's why I do things differently now.

C Taylor
12-13-2012, 08:34 AM
It's always a gamble weather or not to wait. It can go good or bad either way.
My question is. Does this mean we went from being Alberta to being the new sask to now being coyote free old Alberta again.

catnthehat
12-13-2012, 09:24 AM
You are ASSUMING I am willing to do something illegal to kill an animal, your ASSumtion is offensive and couldn't be farther from the truth.

Common sense must be used, both in tracking a deer, and accusing people of poaching.

There's obvious signs if a deer is mortally wounded, and there are signs if a deer is hit but isn't going to die from its wound, would you like me to further explain myself and what I personally do in each case?

You said nothing about a der being mprtally wounded in your previous posts, but what you did say is you lost a big buck because it was near the end of legal light and you waited.
Next time you wold do things differently.
You then said there is nothing illegal about walking around in the bus after dark wit a rifle.
Wha are you doig with it when you are on the trail of a deer after dark?

Yo can say whatever you want , yur post infferd what you are going to do, I didn't inffer anything.
Cat

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 09:37 AM
You said nothing about a der being mprtally wounded in your previous posts, but what you did say is you lost a big buck because it was near the end of legal light and you waited.
Next time you wold do things differently.
You then said there is nothing illegal about walking around in the bus after dark wit a rifle.
Wha are you doig with it when you are on the trail of a deer after dark?

Yo can say whatever you want , yur post infferd what you are going to do, I didn't inffer anything.
Cat

I didn't say anything about carrying a rifle to be legal or illegal before or after legal light, YOU DID, I asked to see where it was written. I understand how sheep feels about people putting words in other people mouths tho. It was you who accused me of doing something illegal before asking what I meant. You assume because I am a guide I'm willing to poach to get the job done and I take offence to that. Nowhere did I say I would shoot a deer during the dark, I did say I would keep on him, and I did say common sense must be used. I offered to explain how I determine whether to continue the pursuit or not, but instead of taking me up on the offer you continue to accuse me of poaching. If you assume I would do that, is it because its what you would do?

And also, I never said what time of day it was when I lost my big buck to yotes, I said I lost it because I left it lay. Another assumption.

catnthehat
12-13-2012, 09:49 AM
I didn't say anything about carrying a rifle to be legal or illegal before or after legal light, YOU DID, I asked to see where it was written. I understand how sheep feels about people putting words in other people mouths tho. It was you who accused me of doing something illegal before asking what I meant. You assume because I am a guide I'm willing to poach to get the job done and I take offence to that. Nowhere did I say I would shoot a deer during the dark, I did say I would keep on him, and I did say common sense must be used. I offered to explain how I determine whether to continue the pursuit or not, but instead of taking me up on the offer you continue to accuse me of poaching. If you assume I would do that, is it because its what you would do?

And also, I never said what time of day it was when I lost my big buck to yotes, I said I lost it because I left it lay. Another assumption.

I didn't assume anything because you are a guide, I guided for 15 years mself.
After you said you would do things differently after losing a deer because you waited too long you would do things diffferently.
This thread was about a hunter losing a der and letting it go to the next day.
You said after losing a big deer you would do things diffetrnetly.
it's a bit ate to say it was in the morning , or the middle of the afternoon or whenever you are tring to say to back peddle as best you can.
There is no inffering her at all, you have eade it very clear to me where your priorities lay.
C'ya, I won't be replying to you again.
I don't think I'm better than you BTW, but i won't go after a deer after dark with a gun in my hand.
Cat

Thinlizzy
12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
I think this is one of the things I like most about hunting. There may be a time when you should back off and let the thing die and there may be a time when you should track it after dark.
In either scenario you may make the right call that time and the next time it will be the wrong call.
I don't think Kurt or Cat are wrong just a manner of opinion based on there past experiences and beliefs. Neither is wrong. :thinking-006:

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
I didn't assume anything because you are a guide, I guided for 15 years mself.
After you said you would do things differently after losing a deer because you waited too long you would do things diffferently.
This thread was about a hunter losing a der and letting it go to the next day.
You said after losing a big deer you would do things diffetrnetly.
it's a bit ate to say it was in the morning , or the middle of the afternoon or whenever you are tring to say to back peddle as best you can.
There is no inffering her at all, you have eade it very clear to me where your priorities lay.
C'ya, I won't be replying to you again.
I don't think I'm better than you BTW, but i won't go after a deer after dark with a gun in my hand.
Cat

Don't care if you reply to my post again, but I'll clear things up a bit because I hate poachers and hate being accused of being one.

I lost my buck because I couldn't find his tracks. I made the shot at about 8:45am, and it was 370yds. I watched him "mule kick" when he was hit, so I knew I stung him. I backed out and left for an hour. When I came back and went looking for his tracks, I couldn't determine which tracks were his. It was on a south facing slope, and the snow was patchy. After searching the entire day I let my father convince me that it wasn't a good hit. Two days later, I was talking with the fella that owned the land and told him about the buck. He found it 300yds from where I was looking. If I had went in after him immediately after the shot, to this day I'm sure I would have found his track. After backing out for an hour and coming back, I wasn't able to determine exactly where it was he was standing when I made the shot. It doesn't have to be dark to lose an animal, but if your on the wrong track you'll never find it, that's why I now do things differently. With archery there is no 300-400 yard shots so pin pointing where you hit the animal is easy, it a different story at 300+ yards where there is lots of tracks but not much snow.

The deer was dead when it dropped, there was only one bed, the one he was found in.

pottymouth
12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Don't care if you reply to my post again, but I'll clear things up a bit because I hate poachers and hate being accused of being one.

I lost my buck because I couldn't find his tracks. I made the shot at about 8:45am, and it was 370yds. I watched him "mule kick" when he was hit, so I knew I stung him. I backed out and left for an hour. When I came back and went looking for his tracks, I couldn't determine which tracks were his. It was on a south facing slope, and the snow was patchy. After searching the entire day I let my father convince me that it wasn't a good hit. Two days later, I was talking with the fella that owned the land and told him about the buck. He found it 300yds from where I was looking. If I had went in after him immediately after the shot, to this day I'm sure I would have found his track. After backing out for an hour and coming back, I wasn't able to determine exactly where it was he was standing when I made the shot. It doesn't have to
be dark to lose an animal, but if your on the wrong track you'll never find it, that's why I now do things differently. With archery there is no 300-400 yard shots so pin pointing where you hit the animal is easy, it a different story at 300+ yards where there is lots of tracks but not much snow.
The deer was dead when it dropped, there was only one bed, the one he was found in.

I would have walked up to the spot where he was last standing, marked it, then gave the buck his time.

Every situation is different, and calls for different reactions. Sometimes you gotta know when hold them, and sometimes you gotta know when to fold them. There's no always right recipe, when it comes to wounded game.

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 10:18 AM

I lost my buck because I couldn't find his tracks. I made the shot at about 8:45am, and it was 370yds. I watched him "mule kick" when he was hit, so I knew I stung him. I backed out and left for an hour. When I came back and went looking for his tracks, I couldn't determine which tracks were his. It was on a south facing slope, and the snow was patchy. After searching the entire day I let my father convince me that it wasn't a good hit. Two days later, I was talking with the fella that owned the land and told him about the buck. He found it 300yds from where I was looking. If I had went in after him immediately after the shot, to this day I'm sure I would have found his track. After backing out for an hour and coming back, I wasn't able to determine exactly where it was he was standing when I made the shot. It doesn't have to be dark to lose an animal, but if your on the wrong track you'll never find it, that's why I now do things differently. With archery there is no 300-400 yard shots so pin pointing where you hit the animal is easy, it a different story at 300+ yards where there is lots of tracks but not much snow.

He seemed to have bedded only once and died right there but if you had pressed him and it wasn't a "good" hit....he could have gone a long way... if you hit him far back....in the liver lets say....and you went after him ASAP.....you could have pushed him all day, he could have got a second wind and ended up 3-4 miles from where he was hit.

Each circumstance is different and you cannot approach each tracking job in the same fashion, kind of like a crime scene....you have to piece it all together.

Like has been said once or twice before....if you talk to someone who has been hunting for a few years and they claim to have never missed, wounded or lost an animal....IMHO they are either telling you a fib or they haven't hunted long enough.

*exactly Potty....you hit reply before I did :)*

LC

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 10:35 AM
He seemed to have bedded only once and died right there but if you had pressed him and it wasn't a "good" hit....he could have gone a long way... if you hit him far back....in the liver lets say....and you went after him ASAP.....you could have pushed him all day, he could have got a second wind and ended up 3-4 miles from where he was hit.

Each circumstance is different and you cannot approach each tracking job in the same fashion, kind of like a crime scene....you have to piece it all together.

Like has been said once or twice before....if you talk to someone who has been hunting for a few years and they claim to have never missed, wounded or lost an animal....IMHO they are either telling you a fib or they haven't hunted long enough.

*exactly Potty....you hit reply before I did :)*

LC

I agree with you, and potty. My point is, and has been that since that experience I have done things differently. If I know, from the blood trail that the deer has a good hit on him (ie beds with good blood -50yds from the feild or cutline) I will go in after him after dark to recover him, a few hours after dark. I have recovered a couple deer after going back to my cabin, having supper, and then heading out. There are lots of wolves and yotes where I hunt and any deer you leave over night looks like the pic in this thread.

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree with you, and potty. My point is, and has been that since that experience I have done things differently. If I know, from the blood trail that the deer has a good hit on him (ie beds with good blood -50yds from the feild or cutline) I will go in after him after dark to recover him, a few hours after dark. I have recovered a couple deer after going back to my cabin, having supper, and then heading out. There are lots of wolves and yotes where I hunt and any deer you leave over night looks like the pic in this thread.

Just curious, If you came accross this sign of a hit what would you do? Push forward or hold off.....

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/deer_1/IMG-20121125-00891.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/deer_1/IMG-20121125-00892.jpg

LC

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Just curious, If you came accross this sign of a hit what would you do? Push forward or hold off.....

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/deer_1/IMG-20121125-00891.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/deer_1/IMG-20121125-00892.jpg

LC

Is that where it was hit? Looks more like that's where it ran to, then stood and leaked for a bit, I the first pic that is. The second pic is hard to tell but almost looks like it coughed up parts. Explain the pics a bit better, like if they were taken where it was hit, or how far from where it was hit, what the deer did after it was hit, and I'll tell you best I can.

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
The deer was shot from ~275-300 yards away....did a classic "mule kick" at the shot. The first pic was 150 yards from where it was shot. The second pic is the first bed after the shot and after the first pic.

LC

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Second pic looks like a brisket shot, I'm using an iPhone to look at this. Also what time is it and is it going to snow any time soon

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Just a guess, but did the blood dry up shortly after the second pic?

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Second pic looks like a brisket shot, I'm using an iPhone to look at this. Also what time is it and is it going to snow any time soon

10:30am....in the past few days it has been light snow late night and early morning, spotty clouds with sunny breaks.

I just want to state this is in no way aimed at you or to pick you apart....I can tell you this experience I had was very educational. I hope some others here can learn from this experience also.

LC

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Just a guess, but did the blood dry up shortly after the second pic?

No.

LC

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
No.

LC

I would have kept on him. I once shot a buck that was looking at me head on, my shot was a bit to my right, deers left, and entered the chest and came out behind his shoulder on the same side. Shot him at first light the first time, and 3:30 pm I killed him. Had I left him I believe the coyotes would have killed him that night.

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac13/Kurt505Hunter/C93CF342-3D91-4B01-AA67-40FAF20C7166-1661-000002B5E793A5CE.jpg

Here he is. I shot him the first time a mile away from my truck and at one point was about 3/4 mile back in the woods. When I took my second shot I was less than 150yds from where my truck was parked.

rem338win
12-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Is that your buddy in the pic?

While the old men argue about the finer points of tracking and other stuff, I am still curious as to the answer the OP has for this question.

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I would have kept on him. I once shot a buck that was looking at me head on, my shot was a bit to my right, deers left, and entered the chest and came out behind his shoulder on the same side. Shot him at first light the first time, and 3:30 pm I killed him. Had I left him I believe the coyotes would have killed him that night.

Thats what I did....kept on him. That was the wrong thing to do in this case....he went another 3-3.5 miles before he died.

The blood was telling me it was hit too far back (but I didn't listen to what it told me), he needed ~6 hrs IMHO to bed and die, I pushed him and he got a second wind and kept going. The tracking was through really thick deep bush that you would be lucky to see 20-30 yards in.

I did recover him though :) which was a really good thing!

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/deer_1/IMG-20121128-00913.jpg

LC

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Thats what I did....kept on him. That was the wrong thing to do in this case....he went another 3-3.5 miles before he died.

The blood was telling me it was hit too far back (but I didn't listen to what it told me), he needed ~6 hrs IMHO to bed and die, I pushed him and he got a second wind and kept going. The tracking was through really thick deep bush that you would be lucky to see 20-30 yards in.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/deer_1/IMG-20121128-00913.jpg

LC

Did the coyotes get him?

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Did the coyotes get him?

Sadly he was in an area where wolves and coyotes are plenty....salvaged what I could but not as much as I would have liked.

LC

sheephunter
12-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Guys who use words like "always" and "never" haven't tracked too many wounded deer.....lol

If you've never lost one.....your turn just hasn't come yet....

whitetail Junkie
12-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Guys who use words like "always" and "never" haven't tracked too many wounded deer.....lol

ive only had 2 wounded big game animals,which I found and had to finish off,never lost one yet. I only hunt with a Rifle..........

sheephunter
12-13-2012, 11:42 AM
ive only had 2 wounded big game animals,which I found and had to finish off,never lost one yet. I only hunt with a Rifle..........

That being the key word. It happens to everyone. I've seen the best African trackers loose a trail...no shame....just a fact of life.

whitetail Junkie
12-13-2012, 11:45 AM
That being the key word. It happens to everyone. I've seen the best African trackers loose a trail...no shame....just a fact of life.

I agree its a part of hunting....Every fall a few birds get clipped\gut shot and fly 1000 yards before they fall dead in the middle of the lake.i'd be a liar if I said that hasnt happened to myself.

NIKON
12-13-2012, 11:47 AM

I have never lost a deer hunting in Sask , and have always recovered my game

Because I hunt over a b____ , Makes for very clean kills:sHa_shakeshout:

LOL...... Just ribbin you

Nikon

pottymouth
12-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree its a part of hunting....Every fall a few birds get clipped\gut shot and fly 1000 yards before they fall dead in the middle of the lake.i'd be a liar if I said that hasnt happened to myself.

I thought you only hunted with a rifle...lol :scared0018:

You hunt long enough it's gonna happen, regardless of weapon. It's the unfortunate part of our passion.

whitetail Junkie
12-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I have never lost a deer hunting in Sask , and have always recovered my game

Because I hunt over a b____ , Makes for very clean kills:sHa_shakeshout:

LOL...... Just ribbin you

Nikon

was'nt the american who gut shot his outfitter last Fall in saskatchewan hunting over Bait?

:evilgrin:

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
was'nt the american who gut shot his outfitter last Fall in saskatchewan hunting over Bait?

Does a six pack of Pilsener count as bait?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

whitetail Junkie
12-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I thought you only hunted with a rifle...lol :scared0018:

You hunt long enough it's gonna happen, regardless of weapon. It's the unfortunate part of our passion.

Yes For "Big Game" its Rifle only.....However right now the Bowtech assasin is calling my name.with any luck ill get my archery mule buck draw and will be able to get a break from duck hunting next september.

My dad was 30 yards this september in his truck from a 185" buck and a 180" buck in another spot.They are nice and dumb in this area,the way I like em :)

I took the 180 on the second day with my rifle.The 185 went on to posted land,and the guy has some mental issues and wouldnt let us on.

whitetail Junkie
12-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Does a six pack of Pilsener count as bait?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:lol:

Kurt505
12-13-2012, 12:12 PM

LC

If you shot him at 10:30 am, and he needed 6 hours to die, it would have been dark out anyways. I think you did the right thing.

Only in some provinces is it illegal to hunt over pilsner.

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2012, 12:15 PM
If you shot him at 10:30 am, and he needed 6 hours to die, it would have been dark out anyways. I think you did the right thing.

This is true, I like to think I did everything right and in my power (although clearly I made a poor shot initially)....I don't think I could have waited that long as it was....the looming risk of fresh snowfall was weighing heavy on my mind too.

LC

NIKON
12-13-2012, 01:47 PM

:sHa_sarcasticlol:...... actually for the guide it probably isn't a laughing matter......:sign0161:

ishootbambi
12-13-2012, 08:33 PM
i love it when someone says "im a guide" as if it makes them somehow smarter than anyone else. lololol.....ok. "im a guide....checkmate"

for those thinking the deer would need to go under a different category because it was found dead....it doesnt. look at a record book. the score, hunters name, location and owner are listed. found deads just have that noted under the hunter spot. there have been world records picked up in the past....the most recent i believe was the non typ elk from nakusp in the 90s....since beaten of course.

the bigger issue is how many guys are willing to run with a picture and come up with stories from found dead to poached. sigh....it never ceases to amaze me how jealous and ugly some people can get because someone did something they couldnt. if i were to believe the crap on this forum, i dont think anyone in the history of the world would have ever killed anything big legally......

pikeslayer22
12-14-2012, 11:23 PM
http://saskatchewanhunts.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4705&page=2

Supposed score sheet

pikeslayer22
12-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Supposed score sheet

pottymouth
12-15-2012, 12:09 AM

Supposed score sheet

Except the score sheet says Jan 1 2006...:sEm_oops2:

pikeslayer22
12-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Except the score sheet says Jan 1 2006...:sEm_oops2:
That's why i said supposed!

Kurt505
12-15-2012, 07:58 AM
That's why i said supposed!

It could have just been a photocopied sheet, the numbers seem to match up not bad. If you look at the photo with the skeleton and use the size of the deers head rather than the guy holding it as a scale, it seems a lot closer to the score sheet.

pikeslayer22
12-15-2012, 08:06 AM
It could have just been a photocopied sheet, the numbers seem to match up not bad. If you look at the photo with the skeleton and use the size of the deers head rather than the guy holding it as a scale, it seems a lot closer to the score sheet.
Yeah for the most part but the inside spread sure looks better than 19"

Kurt505
12-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Yeah for the most part but the inside spread sure looks better than 19"

Compared to the guy, but if you figure the deers head is about 6" wide it looks like 19".

MKD
12-15-2012, 08:22 AM

Hilarious!

Walleyes
12-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I love it when people hold the antlers about 2' in front of them and about 6" from the camera and use a wide angle lense.. In the photo that deer looks like a 200 plus deer the score sheet sets in the high 80's.. Still a heck of a deer by any means but you all get my drift..

pikeslayer22
12-15-2012, 06:15 PM
thread definitely wins the trophy for "Rumour of the Year" and I'm lovin' it.

There's been so many stories about who, where, and how big (and very few malicous rumours ) and it just keeps going on and on. It's been intriguing and entertaining.
Thread on the Sask forum!

My favourite thing has been that thread on Alberta Outdoors where a guy photoshopped a picture of himself so it looked like he was the one who shot it, he even had his truck in the picture. Then he sent it to his buddy who fell for the story and posted it on AO, claimed it was shot west of Calgary. The guy raved about the quality of Alberta deer and said that "Alberta is the new Saskatchewan!" Ironic and funny at the same time.

hayseed
12-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Stay tuned.....

ALBERTA.....THE NEW MANITOBA...... :sHa_sarcasticlol: