PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish HELP

crf250xtom
12-11-2012, 09:01 PM
im relatively new to the site and im looking to catch some whites for my new smoker im only 19 so i dont know a whole lot about whitefish so any help would be appreciated as to locations like some decent lakes around edmonton hour and a half would be the longest im Not repeat NOT looking for honey holes im not that kinda person i like a bit of a challenge per say but like i said i would like to hook into some shortly fridayish. All info appreciated maybe i can help with other species you are looking for info on or lakes.

Cheers,
CRF

Speckle55
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
im relatively new to the site and im looking to catch some whites for my new smoker im only 19 so i dont know a whole lot about whitefish so any help would be appreciated as to locations like some decent lakes around edmonton hour and a half would be the longest im Not repeat NOT looking for honey holes im not that kinda person i like a bit of a challenge per say but like i said i would like to hook into some shortly fridayish. All info appreciated maybe i can help with other species you are looking for info on or lakes.

Cheers,
CRF

hope this helps ..book Fishing Alberta by Barry Mitchell too will tell you all the lakes in your zone with lake whitefish or ph 310-0000 and ask for you local area fish Bio and he/she will try to put you into a lake with them.. if you look at regs for your area they will have limits for given lake..

David:)

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=125499&highlight=fishing+lake+whitefish

David:)

tight line
12-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Any type of wire wrap( colour varies for lakes) with a maggot on it!

bwackwabbit
12-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Gull lake is a good bet south end and using a wire worm in copper, yellow or red/yellow tipped w/ a maggot about a foot up the line from one of these...
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/null-16.jpg

5-10 FOW rip it off bottom and let it fall then bang it off the bottom every 30 seconds until they show up. Then it's just a matter of making small quiver motions until they look like its bite time...then stop! Set the hook quick or you'll miss 'em.

Works for me anyways...lol.

Cheers.

crf250xtom
12-11-2012, 10:25 PM
whats the easiest way to get to the south end of gull i have never been there so i have no idea i will be using two snowmobiles once i get to the lake any directions would be awesome

wildcat111
12-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Gull lake is a good bet south end and using a wire worm in copper, yellow or red/yellow tipped w/ a maggot about a foot up the line from one of these...
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/null-16.jpg

5-10 FOW rip it off bottom and let it fall then bang it off the bottom every 30 seconds until they show up. Then it's just a matter of making small quiver motions until they look like its bite time...then stop! Set the hook quick or you'll miss 'em.

Works for me anyways...lol.

Cheers.

where do you find these??

bwackwabbit
12-11-2012, 10:44 PM
whats the easiest way to get to the south end of gull i have never been there so i have no idea i will be using two snowmobiles once i get to the lake any directions would be awesome

Google Wilson's Beach and you can't miss it from there.

As for the Bells I have only ever found them @

Sportsmens Den in Red Deer.

Cheers.

BPman
12-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Access at "Brownlow's".
From HWY #2 go west toward Bentley on HWY #12. Go past the Prov. Park and around a couple of curves then turn North (right) on Range Road #10 and continue through the settlement and arrive at the lake shore. There is a point of land on the west shore about 4 km north of the access. Folow all the tracks. Fish 500 yd east of the point in 10 - 14' depth. There will be shacks and holes there to give you an idea of where to start. Use Wetaskiwin Spoons - Brass/yellow &red 5 of diamonds, all brass and all copper. Rise the lure 4-6" off bottom and let it fall back on about a 5 second sequence - works for us. Get Wetaskewin spoons at Fishin' Hole

justinO
12-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Do you only want to catch and keep? If you want to get practice and experience and just have a blast I would go to Wab it is only Catch and release but I could tell you where to go exactly water depth, what to use and how to use it.

crf250xtom
12-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Do you only want to catch and keep? If you want to get practice and experience and just have a blast I would go to Wab it is only Catch and release but I could tell you where to go exactly water depth, what to use and how to use it.

sure pm me and thanks for all the info guys

ogre
12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
How do you catch and release from a smoker??? :confused:

crosbyfan123
12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Wabuman has lots of white fish you cant eat but i think pidgeon and alberta beach have

crf250xtom
12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
How do you catch and release from a smoker??? :confused:

Its not always necessary to keep fish

Red Bullets
12-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Its not always necessary to keep fish

I agree you don't always have to keep the fish you catch but....

If god didn't want us to eat fish, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

happyfisher
12-12-2012, 08:25 PM
im gunna be at gull sunday...never been there.....so 4 lb mono with a wire worm tipped with a maggot?

ill try this i guess....lol

tysonlazo2
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Last year when we fished gull we targeted big pike in 10 - 15 feet and once in a while u would see big whitefish that weren't scared of 83cm long pike