PDA

View Full Version : rainbow trout and water depth

Bobby B.
12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
For Super Dave and I, most of our success catchings rainbows have been in deeper water, 20 ft. or more. However, we seldom fish close to the bottom but maybe 6 ft. or 12 feet down. Does this seem right? All advice is appreciated.

Bobby B.

Rumtan
12-12-2012, 08:58 AM
That all depends on the lake size and over-all depth. Most trout that I see on camera are up from the bottom, but not too close to the top. I also found that trout tend to stick together in an area rather than all over.

Willowtrail
12-12-2012, 09:21 AM
I was sittin in 13' last week and they were going nuts right at the bottom. Not a huge trout fisherman though.

Bobby B.
12-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Out on the ice, I've chatted with experienced fishermen who recommend 5-6 FOW for rainbows. I've seen those same men fishing and seen their catch, but for some reason I've been reluctant to fish that shallow. Crazy as it sounds, I figure they 'just got lucky'. On the same lake, I've seen guys keep small 8" trout and claim that's as big as they catch in that lake. Is there a specific depth where small trout feed vs where big trout feed? Is there a difference on WHAT they feed on?

Bobby B.

Wulfespirit
12-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't know if ice angling differs from summer angling all that much where bows are concerned. I've always noticed that when fish are actively feeding there tends to be more action in shallower water .. 8' or less. When fishing is slow I get more action in deeper water....

EZM
12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Trout, found in lakes, are significantly less structure oriented I find compared to Pike and/or walleye.

I agree that shallower is where to start. Rainbows and Lakers, in particular often suspend in groups. Brookies are often in less than 4' this time of year.

I usually fish just off bottom about 25% up (so like 7'-8' in 10 feet of water) for Rainbows.

Drill a few holes and see what's happening ....... that's the best advice.

Bigtoad
12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
No expert, but personally, I like less than 10' of water and am usually in about 6-8 and on a few occasions have fished in 2. 90% of the fun of ice fishing for me is to see them come in so anything over 10' starts to become "fishing in the dark" for me and I lose interest.

Sometimes I try deeper if it is slow but rarely do I stay very long and even more rare, do I catch more than when I am shallow. And from experience fly fishing in the summer and ice fishing as well, the big boys prowl the shallows.

Cheers.

BeeGuy
12-12-2012, 04:52 PM
anywhere from 1-20feet

7-9 being the preference on ice.

Depends heavily on the water body and food sources.

Stocked potholes and ponds I can not lend any advise on.