PDA

View Full Version : South Eastern Alberta Ice Reports

MuleyMonster
12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Just thought I would start a thread on our area of the province as I notice every year there are not much for reports. I plan on hitting the hard water most weekends unless there are family commitments. Since we have a different climate over here I thought it was deserved. I was not out this past weekend but as of the 1st there was no ice on Forty Mile, partially covered on Rattlesnake, Cavan had 6 inches and not sure what Elkwater, Reesor or Spruce had but I know people were fishing at Spruce so there should be enough to drill some holes.

Planning on hitting either, Rattlesnake, Cavan, Spruce or Elkwater this Saturday but would like to know the ice reports before heading out.

Has anyone been out to any of these other lakes this past week and what are the ice conditions.

riverfisher
12-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Ive been on rattlesnake the last few weekends, ice is 10 inches last weekend so more than safe. If ur interested in havin some company at rattlesnake this weekend just lemme kno and we will set up a time to meet. I will be going saturday and sunday most likely

Sledhead71
12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Was out at the park yesterday, Michelle was accupied with a couple trucks and shacks, not sure the depth yet, but there were units and people on the ice.

Best of luck on your hard water season :)

madatter
12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Ive been on rattlesnake the last few weekends, ice is 10 inches last weekend so more than safe. If ur interested in havin some company at rattlesnake this weekend just lemme kno and we will set up a time to meet. I will be going saturday and sunday most likely

How's the fishing been?
I've had best luck for years on the Snake for the first couple weeks of ice...then it progressively gets worse,at least for pike.
Seems like fishing there has progressively gotten worse generally over the past few years.
And I spent a few hrs on Newell yesterday....10" or so in Jackfish Bay.
Fishing was slow but beautiful afternoon.:)

riverfisher
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
How's the fishing been?
I've had best luck for years on the Snake for the first couple weeks of ice...then it progressively gets worse,at least for pike.
Seems like fishing there has progressively gotten worse generally over the past few years.
And I spent a few hrs on Newell yesterday....10" or so in Jackfish Bay.
Fishing was slow but beautiful afternoon.:)

Fishin at snake has been slowwwwww...... Last year we nailed em and this year ur lucky to catch a couple pike in a 8 hour day. Not sure wut the heck happened but ur right about the fishing getting worse, if you or anyone else on here feels adventorous i wud be willing to take u to lake X and try for some monster pike. Caught 10 pike over 10 pounds in the last 8 months there, personal best was caught there, 23 pounds. Only problem is the ice is sketchy their at best of times, but worth it for the quantity and size of pike, have had days their were ur herring wudnt hit the bottom and ud have another one on.
Never once been skunked and have fished that lake over the last 5 years. If ur interested shoot me a pm

whitetail Junkie
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Fishin at snake has been slowwwwww...... Last year we nailed em and this year ur lucky to catch a couple pike in a 8 hour day. Not sure wut the heck happened but ur right about the fishing getting worse, if you or anyone else on here feels adventorous i wud be willing to take u to lake X and try for some monster pike. Caught 10 pike over 10 pounds in the last 8 months there, personal best was caught there, 23 pounds. Only problem is the ice is sketchy their at best of times, but worth it for the quantity and size of pike, have had days their were ur herring wudnt hit the bottom and ud have another one on.
Never once been skunked and have fished that lake over the last 5 years. If ur interested shoot me a pm

Sounds like the Pike at Forty Mile are doing Good :evilgrin:

Regarding Rattler ,for the most part its a shallow lake,besides the narrows and a couple deep spots....hot summers in that area are hard on big fish in shallow water.I havnt been out there yet this winter,but im sure my cousin and I will be going shortly,pics to come,we will show you how its done :D

WayneChristie
12-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Regarding Rattler ,for the most part its a shallow lake,besides the narrows and a couple deep spots....hot summers in that area are hard on big fish in shallow water.I havnt been out there yet this winter,but im sure my cousin and I will be going shortly,pics to come,we will show you how its done :D

sounds like a jinx to me :bad_boys_20: I always hope to get skunked, sometimes it works, sometimes I get skunked :sHa_sarcasticlol:

pikergolf
12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
:evilgrin:Sounds like the Pike at Forty Mile are doing Good
LOL I was thinking it but wasn't going to say it.

madatter
12-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Hmmm
I've fished 40Mile a fair bit over the years and can't say I've ever cleaned up on pike,let alone big pike....walleye and burbot yup
Good luck with Snake...U will need it!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

riverfisher
12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Haha the big pike in forty are few and far between compared to this lake x, i took my dad their and he was shocked to say the least. Hes 51 and im oly 19 and he told me he has never seen anything like it other than. way up north at one of the lodges that he guided for a a few summers. We catch allot of the smaller pike on lures, but the big girls i use large herring or half a half pound full sucker with homemade quick strike rigs, catch half as many little guys though with that setup, usually nothing under 5 pounds. This lake is well known around here, people under estimate the great fishing to be had because of excessive weed growth and shallow water aking it tricky to fish the lake

madatter
12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Haha the big pike in forty are few and far between compared to this lake x, i took my dad their and he was shocked to say the least. Hes 51 and im oly 19 and he told me he has never seen anything like it other than. way up north at one of the lodges that he guided for a a few summers. We catch allot of the smaller pike on lures, but the big girls i use large herring or half a half pound full sucker with homemade quick strike rigs, catch half as many little guys though with that setup, usually nothing under 5 pounds. This lake is well known around here, people under estimate the great fishing to be had because of excessive weed growth and shallow water aking it tricky to fish the lake

I've got a pretty good idea which lake you talking about...

riverfisher
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Im nervous as hell to go on the ice without another guy along. Ice is not thin or anything but it never gets nice clear ice like rattle or forty. But ive fished it on a few occasions in the winter and had awesome results

madatter
12-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Im nervous as hell to go on the ice without another guy along. Ice is not thin or anything but it never gets nice clear ice like rattle or forty. But ive fished it on a few occasions in the winter and had awesome results

Have to get out sometime....I work shift work tho so I tend to be out during the weekdays

riverfisher
12-12-2012, 08:22 PM
My boss is a pretty good guy and will let me take off days if i let him kno a day ahead , So if ur free for a day or two in the next while shoot me a pm and we will try and arrange somethin

madatter
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Went to Murray Lake today to chew some ice up on the bike and was surprised to see just a bit of open water still.
Decided to drive to Cavan instead.
Lots of guys fishing.... Looked to be 10 inches of ice.
Had a blast but it's a bit windy out

MuleyMonster
12-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Was at Rattlesnake yesterday and there is 10 inches of ice. Big spot out in front of the boat launch that has open water and tons of geese on it. Ice was clear for the most parts but there were some areas that had some white ice and you could tell it was not safe to drive on yet. Fishing was slow with only 1 pike and a few small perch. Good luck out there

John_K
12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I was out at michelle on friday and there was an average of at least 8" on it. A foot in some, mostly closer to shore. The fishing was excellent out there. Drilled a dozen holes throughout the day and caught fish out of every one. Landed a couple big girls too! Well big for michelle haha

tacklerunner
12-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Not quite that far east but the lake I fished this week had 10" ice on Monday, 12" on Wednesday, 13" yesterday & 14.5" today. Chinooks have been blowing through too. Gonna be a great ice season. Might wanna grab an auger extension before they're gone.

Good luck this season.

Fishfinder
12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Fish beware. I'm comin home.
Plan to hit Cavan, Greesor, n Mich. keep y'all posted.
Cheerios.
Will be walking on all lakes, I need the workout, I'm getting fat....ter

WayneChristie
12-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Fish beware. I'm comin home.
Plan to hit Cavan, Greesor, n Mich. keep y'all posted.
Cheerios.
Will be walking on all lakes, I need the workout, I'm getting fat....ter

hey I have 10 days off starting Sunday, you got to come fish with me one of them. or maybe I will come down your way, no girlie fish though

Fishfinder
12-19-2012, 01:26 AM
hey I have 10 days off starting Sunday, you got to come fish with me one of them. or maybe I will come down your way, no girlie fish though

I will be in touch Wayne. I plan to take extended vacation. Girly fish eh, hmm, u seem to have come around to the Walter world, now to get u on the trout... :thinking-006:

madatter
12-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Coming back from Coaldale picking up deer horns I swung by Snake....
Didn't see anyone fishing and there is still a large patch of open near the boat launch.

strungout
12-24-2012, 06:06 PM
anyone had a peek at 40 mile lately?

whitetail Junkie
12-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Coming back from Coaldale picking up deer horns I swung by Snake....
Didn't see anyone fishing and there is still a large patch of open near the boat launch.

Any idea how the ice is around the sauder dam or the islands near the hutterites? Any open water out there in your travels?

whitetail Junkie
12-25-2012, 05:58 PM
anyone had a peek at 40 mile lately?

I wouldnt mind trying for some ling cod there this winter.a guy at work has a cabin out there and he caught a bunch.

brobinson
12-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Cavan had about 10 inches when I was there a couple weeks ago. It's a little slower than last year but I still caught a few nice ones. Went to snake on Friday to the dam at the back sort of? If I'm explaining it correctly? There was 14 inches of ice there. Arms got tired drilling holes with my hand auger! No fish that day though. I seem to not have any luck when it comes to pike. Same with last year. If be willing to accept some tips if any bodies willing to give them!

whitetail Junkie
12-28-2012, 07:01 PM
10-12" of ice on rattler near the sauder dam. Fishing was the chits,I only caught 6 small fish.

perch seeker
12-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Was out at caven today, about 12 " of ice, guys had there 1/2 ton trucks parked on the ice, we walked the 20 ft to the honey hole, landed 8 trout , 19" the biggest, was a good day.

strungout
12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
heading out to the cabin at 40mile today, i posted about this lake a couple days ago and didnt get any ice thickness or anything i would imagine it would be good to walk on by now... any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys :)

madatter
12-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Was out at caven today, about 12 " of ice, guys had there 1/2 ton trucks parked on the ice, we walked the 20 ft to the honey hole, landed 8 trout , 19" the biggest, was a good day.

Cavan this morning ....12-14" of solid ice.
Fishing was excellent....lost a couple of bigger ones at the hole kept some 14"ers.

medhatken
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Was at Spruce Coulee in the morning and Reesor Lake in the afternoon.

Spruce had about 10-12" of cloudy ice, seen people had drove on previously but I wouldn't. We were down by the point and had lots of hits and soft bites but none on the ice. A few were caught in the first little cove to the right of the launch and some had a little luck by the dam.

Reesor had a good 15" of ice, pretty solid, sounds of cracks every once in a while so that is a good sign for me. We were just hammering the little trout. I had my boy with so it kept him interested even though I had to keep giving up my holes because apparently they were the only ones that had fish at them.

Overall it was a great day of fishing and quite busy at both lakes today!!:happy0180:

timbermoose
12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Was at Spruce Coulee in the morning and Reesor Lake in the afternoon.

Spruce had about 10-12" of cloudy ice, seen people had drove on previously but I wouldn't. We were down by the point and had lots of hits and soft bites but none on the ice. A few were caught in the first little cove to the right of the launch and some had a little luck by the dam.

Reesor had a good 15" of ice, pretty solid, sounds of cracks every once in a while so that is a good sign for me. We were just hammering the little trout. I had my boy with so it kept him interested even though I had to keep giving up my holes because apparently they were the only ones that had fish at them.

Overall it was a great day of fishing and quite busy at both lakes today!!:happy0180:

how were the roads getting in to them? hoping to take my 6yr old there the 5th and 6th, but all i got to drive is my wifes minivan.:mad3:

medhatken
12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Reesor lake road was plowed right off and sanded, lots off traction, if we get some sun on it, it should melt right off.
Sruce was plowed but not sanded as much, there was minivans down when I was there.

timbermoose
12-30-2012, 10:22 PM
awesome! thanks ken.

whitetail Junkie
01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
9 pike, 1 perch,7 pike were legal,10lbs was the biggest,only kept one pike to eat,and the perch.

strungout
01-05-2013, 09:29 AM
How was the ice whitetail? Driveable for a half ton ya figure? Hoping to get work off tomorrow and was planning on hitting up the old snake.

whitetail Junkie
01-05-2013, 01:40 PM
How was the ice whitetail? Driveable for a half ton ya figure? Hoping to get work off tomorrow and was planning on hitting up the old snake.

Lots of guys driveing on.....14" of ice....however I always walk on.....Im fat and need the exercise.lol

cdkeim
01-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Any options for driving on other than the campground Whitetail?

madatter
01-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Any options for driving on other than the campground Whitetail?

You can get on at inlet by the Hutterite colony.....

timbermoose
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
was out at cavan yesterday for a couple hours, no fish, couple nibbles, nothing more. ice was about 10"

out to reesor today, ice was 14", caught quite a few little guys, my son(6) had a blast. wind was howling from time to time, my wife caught about 8 i think. my son kept 2 14"ers he wanted for dinner. mostly it was fun just to watch my son haul fish up out of a hole in the ice, he could not get over that. was a good day.

medhatken
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I love reesor for the kids!!!:)