PDA

View Full Version : Suffield Cow Elk

Dale S
12-12-2012, 05:24 PM
A buddy at work is looking for a cow elk in the zones around the block. Has anybody seen any outside the block.

Looper
12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Hey Dago,

Might be info too old to help now, but I was on the base a week ago and the Fish & Game and Range Control guys said there was over 2000 head outside the base to the south east near "Bull Hill" I think it was.

Looper

Dale S
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Yaa those cows are a right place,right time, kind of animal.

Jordan Smith
12-13-2012, 12:27 AM
When I was there last week, the CO's and range guys were saying that on Friday of week 3 a bunch of yahoo's were chasing the elk with their trucks, shooting into the herds. This apparently ended up pushing them off the hunting zones to the south and east. It was a real shame, and apparently the CO's had to dispatch several wounded elk from the herd shooting.

I'm not sure if those herds of cows made it entirely off the base, or if they hunkered down on the base, but outside of the hunting areas. They didn't seem too keen to move during the week, while I was there. Many of us went without filling our tags because the herds were chased right out of the hunting areas and simply stopped running when the trucks stopped chasing and the rifles stopped firing. So they may still be on the "no hunting" areas of the base, and unlikely to move now that there is some safety and some peace and quiet (relatively). I think your best bets are going to be the south and east borders of the base, though.

davebuck
12-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Well tell us the rest of the story are they in jail or baned of the base fore life or did somebody have a accident out there :fighting0030: :argue2:

Dale S
12-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Is it really chasing,or is it following them till they could'nt follow no more.

Jordan Smith
12-13-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm just reporting what the CO's and military range staff told me first-hand. There were people that were banned from the base for life, and yes, there was some chasing and herd shooting going on. The CO and range officer said that it's things like that that will wreck it for all the rest of us in the future. Too many strikes, and we're out. Truck chasing and herd shooting elk were NOT looked highly upon by these officials.

madatter
12-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Drove south boundary road yesterday,didn't see an elk on or off base.