PDA

View Full Version : Sylvan Lake report

BPman
12-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Opened the season yesterday off Sunbreaker Cove. Ice is 11 - 12" thick. Fishing was slow overall although we got small pike, walleye and some whites (C&R on the pike and walleye). Could hear augers far off in the distance but could not see anglers at other locations. Anyone else out there?

Hueston
12-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Did you drive on

BPman
12-13-2012, 10:28 AM
We did not drive on, nor did anyone else but I think we could have and would do so this weekend if I go back. Ice was really hard and i think my Tacoma would be safe. There were truck tracks along the shore but close in. There is a high ice ridge piled up on the boat ramp but a 4X4 could easily get around it and down onto the beach... might need the 4x4 or at least good ground clearance to get back up from the beach onto hard ground.

Hueston
12-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Thank's for the info.

Drillnfish
12-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Fished Sylvan today... Slow day but didn't move around. Ice is good 10" and safe to drive on.

Bigtoad
12-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Ice is good 10" and safe to drive on.

Well, there is an oxymoron if I ever heard one...

Saw a Skidsteer off Sunbreaker a few years ago that went through with well over 18" of ice.

Why play Russian-roulette with your life? Get out of your truck and get some exercise until the ice is well over 12". Yikes.

diamonddave
12-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Fished Sylvan today... Slow day but didn't move around. Ice is good 10" and safe to drive on.

Take before and after pics, and make sure you post them up here so all the new guys can see what a good 10" of ice does....

Gumbi
12-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Will be out there all weekend or maybe split it up and fish gull one day,im goin to unload the qaud and pull the sled, i think to get to the fishin spots.... will give a reports.

Zip-in-Z
01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Had a lot of fun on Sylvan over the past week.

Dec 29th - Went out solo for a few hours, first day on ice, made sure all the equipment worked properly, tried Norglenwold area on sand bar in 8 ft just off a weed line. Seen a number of Whites on the camera, caught 2 small walleye's, 2 Whites & small Burbot noticed a few good sized Pike stalking the area. Was good to get out on the ice again!

Dec 30th - Tried about 1 km northeast of the Light House that vanished, depth approx 21 ft with sand and weed patches in area. The Mrs and I caught 12 walleye & hooked but just couldn't land 3 large Whites. Our best fishin was between 1:30 - 3:00 in the afternoon, Walleyes were very aggressive but no big one's.

Jan 02nd - Went back to the same spot we fished the other day, we caught 14 walleyes largest about 2 1/2 lbs, 1 small Pike & 1 cream colored Burbot about 3-4 lbs with dark leopard spots, ugly, but interesting coloring. Seen a few Whites, but they didn't show any interest in our offerings. Again, best fishin was in the afternoon.

The weather couldn't of been better, we had a lot of fun & released all the fish, I took the attached pic of the ice thickness, 16" of dark blue/black ice! Had some electronic problems with my AquaVu so I found a used Marcum 825 color camera that I'm planning to try out when I go back next week & explore some different area's I fished last winter.

Z.

vettedreamer
01-05-2013, 06:32 PM
hey zip in z great report ..I sure miss the sylvan gull areas, sharpened my ice fishing skills in those holes. Nice to hear the old go out and HUNT ice fishin stories.....thats a breath of fresh air.

Zip-in-Z
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
hey zip in z great report ..I sure miss the sylvan gull areas, sharpened my ice fishing skills in those holes. Nice to hear the old go out and HUNT ice fishin stories.....thats a breath of fresh air.

Sylvan has always been a great place for the new, young & old to get out and enjoy the day fishing with friends & family! Unfortunately, I've noticed a decline in the Perch population over the past few years, on my recent outing all I seen over the 3 days was a hand full of 3-4" Perch minnows trying to make friends with my bait. Perhaps I was in the wrong area, however, I haven't seen any of those big fat 8-10" guy's for the past 3-4 years. On the other hand I've noticed the Walleye population has grown which is promising. You need to make a return trip in 2013, if you know the lake you won't be disappointed.

Zip ....

tmaxx
01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
How thick is the ice. I hope to get out today. Any recommedations on driving on or use quad

Isopod
01-06-2013, 11:59 AM
On Saturday the ice was 22" thick, all nice black ice, no floodwater except near a pressure ridge. Snow depth was maybe 6".

Isopod
01-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Oh, and to answer the second part of your question, very near to me a bunch of people came out for a BBQ/fishing. They had 9 large vehicles parked side-by-side, parking lot style. That didn't seem to cause any problems, though I did feel better when I packed up and left the area.:)

Zip-in-Z
01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Went out at 2:30 this afternoon to a spot I had some good success at last winter. Was fishin in 7 meters in sand/silt with no weeds in the area. Caught a nice White and missed a real good one, then 2 small walleyes all in 1 hour. Stayed till 5:00 and all I seen was a few small whites and a decent pike about 6-8 lbs just cruising & watching the camera, no other bites/fish.

I decided to keep my first one for the season, for the Mrs to cook for dinner. After filleting, I always check the stomach contents to see what they're eating, normally find bugs, minnows, etc ... you know Protein! Well to my surprise, I couldn't believe the weed shoots & nothing else, that this guy had in him, they're still green, have a close look at the attached pic's, I believe I caught my first Vegetarian Whitefish, perhaps it's time to start trying Asparagus Tips for bait!

As well, I had the opportunity to test my Marcum 825C along side my old Aqua-Vu XL. The color at 7 meters was excellent, the 825C out preformed the Aqua-Vu at dusk, I was able to see my presentation for at least another 45 min. Overall, very pleased with the Marcum camera.

Zip.

mikebossy
01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
those are cased caddis larvae, trout love em in stocked lakes as well, will have to add that to my repertoire of what to use thru the ice, interesting aside, the wireworm was originally tied by an Edmontonian named Roger Sabourin Jr. who figured it was the easiest to make, most effective imitation of a bloodworm ie midge larvae(chironomid) that he found many of in the stomachs of whitefish he caught thru the ice

BeeGuy
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Yup caddis

Had some rainbows with a couple recently. 1 rocky too.

bowhunter79
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Not from around the area but my son was moved down there and was wondering if a guy could walk on somewhere and be successful? I have a truck but prefer to drive the car down to see him? He is only 5 so need to have pretty steady action to keep him interested. I'll be headed down that way on Jan 22 to spend the day with my son so if the weather is decent would someone be willing to show me a thing or 2 for a couple hours? I have all the gear required.

Zip-in-Z
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Jan 09th .... went out after lunch to an area that I had good action last week, however, today was real slow, seen a few Whites or perhaps the same one going around my shack in circles, just to bug me! Caught one small walleye around 2:30ish then around 3:30 it started to blow & snow & I had enough.

I wasn't the only one getting bored, seen a 2-3 different guys set up and take off after a few hours. While I was packing up a A/O member drove up & we had a good chat and shared a few stories. Perhaps it's time to take a day off from my Sylvan Lake Field Office & go into Red Deer to buy some more tackle.

Time for a Rum & Coke .... it's Happy Hour!

Zip ....

BPman
01-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Yesterday, Jan 09 was good action all morning but dead after 11:30. Out off the town site in about 10' depth. Partner and I kept 6 whites, released 2 whites, 2 pike a burbot and 6 walleyes. One pike was about 12 lb. Wind picked up and temp was falling so we quit at 3 PM with only a couple of bites since noon. Driving back to Calgary last night in the blizzard was hell...

ogre
01-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Any update on how deep the snow is on the access points on to the lake? Can small cars and CUV's still get on without getting stuck in the drifts?
TIA

Alberta Bigbore
01-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Ive never opened a whitefish stomach. Interesting find.

Zip-in-Z
01-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Access to the lake is no problem, there are a number of well travel ice roads to various locations around the lake, any snow drifts are beat down by ATV's, snowmobiles, & vehicles, nevertheless, we got approx 3-4" snow yesterday, so bring a shovel. I took the pic of the Pier the other day, see for yourself.

Zip....

ogre
01-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Noted on the new snow layer. Thank you for the information.
Tight lines :)

Zip-in-Z
01-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Was out on Sat & Sun, the Solunar Tables suggested fish activity would be excellent in the afternoon, they're wrong, it was just O.K. in both am & pm. That being said, I was up early both days & started in 8 fow on a sand/rocky area & moved the shack 4 times towards deeper water, ended up in 21 fow in sand/silt with very few weeds and packed it in today at 4:00 pm. Overall caught 9 walleye, no monsters, had lots that wanted to play and one today hit my jigging spoon so hard I thought it was a Laker, turned out be a 2.5 lb scrapper, small jigs & twister tails or jigging spoon with minnows were most productive. As well, caught 4 Whites, seen a lot, but most weren't interested or would come for a visit and sniff around but not inhale the presentations. A wire worm in a darker color with maggots worked best. Seen one Pike, perhaps 6-7 lbs that came & went, no perch & no burb's. Released everything but 2 whites that will go good with a nice Chardonnay over dinner tonight.

Going back out tomorrow on Lake "X" ... to do some exploring, maybe start in the middle and work my way towards the N-E-W-S shore line ...

:thinking-006:

Zip .....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010735_zpsf17b51a5.jpg

Zip-in-Z
01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Went out today off Norglenwold, there was only 3 other trucks out, lots of heavy wet snow came down then rain & collapsed this portable, hope it's not yours! Caught 2 whites before lunch, nothing in the afternoon, seen very few fish. Had 2 Pike drop by at the same time for a look, it was interesting, you don't normally see them on Sylvan hunting in pairs. Didn't see any Perch, Walleye nor Burb's at this spot. Even though it was a slow day fishin it was better than being on the Hwy #2, heard nothing but accidents & vehicles in the ditch ...

:sign0176:

Zip ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010746_zpscf878b1a.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010761_zps0bbff3b1.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010753_zpse64935e4.jpg

Zip-in-Z
01-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Had an O.K. day, couldn't complain about the wind when it was +8C. Tried a new spot & caught my the first White in 10 min of getting set up, then seen a few more but no action until after lunch, caught a couple more Whites & one small Walleye seen a nice Pike, released everything but one fat White, that I posted my autopsy findings on another thread.

The town staff put these up today .... it's too bad people need to be told to get their shacks off by March 31, nevertheless, at the end of every season, there's still a hand full abandoned on the lake.

Zip ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010773_zpsc30ffb8a.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010772_zps24bca005.jpg

Zip-in-Z
01-16-2013, 06:40 PM
My last day fishin wasn't great, can't say it was even OK, got out in the morning moved 3 different times about 100-150 yds from each other just off a weed bed in 21-23 fow. Seen a few Whites roaming around, but didn't catch anything until 12:30 when I took my "Fish Call" out and attracted a few small Walleye's. Used the Caddis larvae that I extracted from a White yesterday see (Sylvan Whitefish Autoposy) the small Walleye in the pic hit it from my blind side, ended up catching/releasing 5 Walleye today. They also like small jig & maggots!

Did see something interesting, a 5 Lb +/- Pike came in for a look then settled down like a submarine in the sand/silt and watched me twitch my Fish Call for about a minute or more, then it pounced on the presentation like a cat would jump on a mouse, missed it, didn't get a second chance, Pike vanished.

Packed it up at 4:00pm & ended up stopping at the Norglenwold Ice Shack Village and tried 3 different locations/holes that people were fishing in yesterday .... got blanked, No Whites at all today!

This is the last of my updates for awhile, departing to Cancun & Playa for a month, hope to get in some deep sea fishing!

Adiós, muchachos .... Hombre Zip

Scary Lookin Caddis Larvae

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/caddisbait_zps0d69c969.jpg

Bait Thief:

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010795_zps5410af18.jpg

Fish Call

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010807_zps6ef35e34.jpg

Submarine Pike

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/SneekyPike_zpsb17841d7.jpg

Not Fussy
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010817_zps3e2d9c8c.jpg

ogre
01-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Great report again Zip, sounds like you didn't leave the lake empty. Thanks for sharing the insights.

Best of luck on your vacation, hope you catch tons of fish. I for one would love to see some deep sea reports, if you don't get too busy with catching fish and partying.

BPman
01-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Hit Sylvan near the townsite yesterday and fished about 08:30 until 5 PM. Beautiful sunny day and calm enough we could fish bare hands and coats off most of the time so a great day on the ice. A burbot and 2 walleyes before the sun got bright then 5 whites before lunch. Moved a ways to try a new spot and got 3 whites until the sun got low enough to shadow our location then in the last hour we added 5 more whites and three walleyes. Burbot and walleyes all C&R but kept enough whites for a couple of suppers. Brass Wetaskiwin spoon was the killer lure and we concentrated on 9 - 12 ft depths. Strangely, no pike action at all, despite having 2 tip-ups with smelts set all day. ...can't wait to get back there next week!

tmaxx
02-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Well i headed out today to sylvan as i usally go out to gull lake. Punched a couple of holes and got shack set up seen on white swim by then another going by pretty fast one hour later. No luck. So i decided to move a little more south of where all the shacks were by some holiday trailer. The water was around 20' deep no weeds only sand. Is that to deep im not to sure. I dont have much luck ice fishing as i dont know where to go i just wanna catch a fish im about cnr. I just love fishing but no luck this year. I have better luck in the ocean. Im looking at going out again tomorrow how deep should i be. I always changing hooks from wire worms to tear drops spoons. I must be doing something wrong. If not fish.

Zip-in-Z
02-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Hola Amigos, back from a month in Mexico, developed temporary blurry vision & look and feel like a brown/round coconut. Didn't get out deep sea fishin this time, plans got cancelled, disappointing. All & all great vacation!

Got back out for the first time this morning, my GPS was giving me some grief and it took a while to find one of my spots. Old Jiffy started on the second pull, noticed the ice is about 6-8" thicker and solid. Got set up put the camera down and no weeds anywhere, must of been off my spot, ended up on a flat sand/silt bottom in 22-23 fow, deeper than I normally fish. Seen a few Whites in the distance inhaling bugs or stuff off the bottom, then one came over for a look, circled a couple times & inhaled my wire worm, iced & released.

After than, caught 4 small walleyes had one nice one that was interested but wouldn't commit. I love a challenge, it was fun but frustrating watching the walleye swim up to the presentation, stare & stare then drop it's dorsal fin put it in reverse and disappear. Didn't see that many fish in the area I was sitting over today, most were quite neutral, you needed to ensure your bait looked appealing to trigger a strike. Packed up at 2:30 have to go back to the City, back next week.

Zip

Nice but No Fish

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060040_zps8ff9124c.jpg

Dead Camera Battery = Booster Cables

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060047_zps08fe6df0.jpg

BobLoblaw
02-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Hola Amigos, back from a month in Mexico, developed temporary blurry vision & look and feel like a brown/round coconut. Didn't get out deep sea fishin this time, plans got cancelled, disappointing. All & all great vacation!

Got back out for the first time this morning, my GPS was giving me some grief and it took a while to find one of my spots. Old Jiffy started on the second pull, noticed the ice is about 6-8" thicker and solid. Got set up put the camera down and no weeds anywhere, must of been off my spot, ended up on a flat sand/silt bottom in 22-23 fow, deeper than I normally fish. Seen a few Whites in the distance inhaling bugs or stuff off the bottom, then one came over for a look, circled a couple times & inhaled my wire worm, iced & released.

After than, caught 4 small walleyes had one nice one that was interested but wouldn't commit. I love a challenge, it was fun but frustrating watching the walleye swim up to the presentation, stare & stare then drop it's dorsal fin put it in reverse and disappear. Didn't see that many fish in the area I was sitting over today, most were quite neutral, you needed to ensure your bait looked appealing to trigger a strike. Packed up at 2:30 have to go back to the City, back next week.

Zip

Nice but No Fish

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060040_zps8ff9124c.jpg

Dead Camera Battery = Booster Cables

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060047_zps08fe6df0.jpg

You'll slay 'em next time!:)

Zip-in-Z
02-22-2013, 08:36 PM
You'll slay 'em next time!:)

Hahaha BobLoblaw ... In my previous life, I may have been the Knight who did in the Dragon, now I’m tagged for life .... R.I.P. Poor Dragon .... no more Slay'n!

:thinking-006:

Zip

snortwheez
02-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Was out on Sylvan last week trying to find some whities with no luck for me and my bro.
We did end up with 2 eyes and 1 burbot that got torpedoed back down the hole.
Seen 2 whities caught the 5 hrs we were there.

slivers86
02-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Ill be up to sylvan on the 23rd of march. Im staying in sunbreaker cove, and wondering if anyone has any advice - i've read through the forums and it seems like a slow area.

Anyone fished it lately? any luck?

Zip-in-Z
03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Beauty day, lots of people, lots of snow so guys with cars are staying close to the ice roads, if you have a 4wd you can still explore most of the lake, just watch for drifts. The snow crust plus ice thickness is almost at the point you need the auger extension.

Moved the shed 3 different times from 12 - 22 fow, over silt/sand & then just off a weed bed. Slow morning, iced 2 baby Walleye seen a few Whites hunting but they never gave me an opportunity, went home for lunch. Returned in the afternoon with the camera, moved to deeper water, picked up after 3:00 pm, caught a small Jake the Snake & 5 small Walleye that preferred wire worms over jigs or spoon's. Whites came in & out & showed little interest, didn’t see any big fish, nor any perch or Burbs, plan to spend the week out at the Lake, most likely will explore new areas after the weekend crew goes back to work. Forecasting +9 on hump-day!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip ...

Beauty Day on Ice
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060166_zpsbf32cbe2.jpg

Measure twice cut once = 27 1/2"
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060178_zps7fcec4ad.jpg

Green Treats
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060186_zpse269a110.jpg

Where's your big sister ?
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060184_zps09b9cdde.jpg

Zip-in-Z
03-14-2013, 07:18 PM
It's been a fun couple days, it's nice and quiet during the week, spent some time exploring new areas down RR #20 & RR#23, seeing lots of fish of every species, trying some new tricks that have been quite productive. Got a few more days of fishing before I head back to the city.

This was interesting, I put on a fresh minnow on a jig, and a Walleye & White had a race to get it while it was dropping to the bottom. Walleye won but only chewed 1/2 my bait off, kept it on & the White came back and inhaled it, re-baited with just the head, got another & another for about 45 min. then they all vanished.

Zip ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060188_zps32391919.jpg

Kept a fat one for the Mrs for dinner, & enjoying Happy Hour!
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060235_zps36742c88.jpg

Zip-in-Z
03-16-2013, 05:57 PM
After spending too much time fishin Norglenwold off Rustic Road, I decided to explore new areas on RR 23. The weather earlier in the week was great, it was easy to spot holes from the weekend crew & chip out 1-2” of ice, dropped the camera down to have a look at the bottom & check the depth.

I found fishin in 16-18 fow or less was quite productive, I could clearly see the bottom & presentation, there were days when the Whitefish/Walleye were so camera shy they wouldn’t come close, pulled up the camera & within a few minutes, I had Whites swimin around my presentation. They wouldn’t always bite, that’s when I started changing up and that got them interested enough to inhale the offering. Moved 75 Yds up the sand bar to 7 fow over grass bottom, seen fish come in & out, but no interest, surprising, tried shallow again on another day, same old, see fish but wouldn’t bite.

I found the fish were quite active between 1:30 – 3:30pm and then again just around dusk. I use a quick snap vs directly tying on a jig, wire worm or small wetaskiwin blade, they work great & IMO don’t affect the presentation. The dark wire worms out produced any of the lighter colored ones. As well, I caught a number of Whites with a jig and minnow head.

I always work 2 rods, when things slow down I put a flashy jiggin spoon on with a piece of orange survey tape, sometime with a minnow or not, the orange tab also serves to keep the minnow on the hook. I’ve caught every species on my jiggin spoon AKA …“Fish Call” or at least it brings them in and they have a choice.

Watching aggressive fish on a camera is fascinating, and then there are those days when they will just suspend and watch, this is when the camera helps, drop the presentation into the sand silt & twitch it a bit until you get a puff of silt/sand rise from the bottom, that usually gets them in for a closer look. After that snow/wind we got & the weather changed later in the week the walleye wouldn’t touch the bait unless it was sitting motionless, then they would come over stare and then inhale it right off the bottom.

I didn’t go out today, yesterday was slow on one of my favorite spots, no Whites but caught some small walleye and took some pic’s of a Leopard Burb that came in for a look see, then swam away never to be seen again.

I was fortunate to catch fish every time I got out, just had to keep moving & switching presentations to trigger a strike. Overall, I kept 3 Whites for the Mrs. to have with dinner …. I’m allergic to fish, can’t eat them, Pike are the worst, I get all congested from the smell & if I don’t wash immediately with soap the slime makes my hands swell up. Shore lunch normally consists of beans & Course Ham-Garlic Kubasa over a fire … yum-yum! Guess I'm a fish addict that enjoys the sport & the outdoors.

Heading back to the city tomorrow, hope to get out again in a week or so. Here’s a few Pic’s of stuff I used or talked about.

Zip ….

Easy Quick Snap's
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060258_zpsb55886ff.jpg
Dark over Light
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060254_zps6a111742.jpg
Dark with Spots On Bright Day
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060257_zps2ee53196.jpg
Pick a Blade
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060260_zps5b0e8ae9.jpg
Fish Call & Bait Tab
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060251_zps5c5a1398.jpg
See Thread - Keeping Holes from Freezing Overnight
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060250_zps441a0f87.jpg

Leopard Burb
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060242_zps5f6e5dad.jpg
Nice Camo
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060244_zps983b79ec.jpg
Hello & Good-Bye
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060245_zpsa4f494c7.jpg
HwY 11A Turn Right
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060206_zps5b87208c.jpg
Another A/O Member in the Crowd.
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060204_zps977ea0ab.jpg

allaboutmathews
03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Great post Zip! Looks like you have pretty near tried everything out there! We used to have all kinds of luck out there a few years ago, but the last couple of years have been pretty crappy to say the least! We have caught 15-20lb pike out of there and quite a few whitefish.... the last two years we may have cought a couple pound pike and a hand full of whitefish between all of us! Great job anyways, and you are deffinatly a persistant fellow! I on the other hand, dont have the patience to move all over the lake and try everything in the tackle box for a few fish! Does anyone know if the ling are spawning out there yet? That was always fun to watch!

Rob S
03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Blowing and blustery in the morning. Afternoon cleared up nice, put up the shack aaand this :-)

Zip-in-Z
03-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Blowing and blustery in the morning. Afternoon cleared up nice, put up the shack aaand this :-)

Well done Sir ... she looks like she has a bit of .... Kiss me I'm Irish, too!

Congrat's Zip ....

bwackwabbit
03-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Good ole Sylvan Snot Rocket.

Zip-in-Z
03-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Took me a while to get motivated, Env Cda said it was -26, got out by 10:00 & stayed for 3 hrs, watched some guy in all-wheel drive car get hung up in the drifts until his buddies came to rescue him.

Ice was really cracking this morning, sounded a bit like thunder, after one crack/boom the water in my holes moved up/down. I was surprised to see the ice has sunk, water was at least an 1" perhaps a bit more over the ice.

I was out from the main town-site not far from the 2 shacks out there. When I packed up, the snow all around my tent was mushy due to the flood water ... not an area you want to try.

It was slow, caught 1 walleye, & seen a couple whites, try a different spot tomorrow.

Zip ...

Zip-in-Z
03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Went out in the afternoon to RR#23, was surprised to see so many people fishin the area just to the right of the lake access road. As I drove on the ice there was a convoy of trucks/trailers hauling shacks off, it reminded me of the Ice Road Truckers on the Contwoyto road up to Ekati, Diavik & Snap.

Entered a way point into the GPS, got to my spot to find some guys are within 30 ft of it so decided to move further down & a bit shallower. Got set up put the camera down & did this location ever look good!

Fished from 2:30 - 6:00ish, caught/iced 12 walleye, seen one big pike and a few White's hanging around but none would take any of my presentations. Just by chance, I found a "Spot-on-Spot" there were Walleye cruising a small area, no monsters, largest measured 16". Saved a new way point, plan to give this spot another try during the week & hope to fish out my white BIC lighter.

Zip .... here's a few pic's, enjoy!

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060332_zpsca8c170f.jpg
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060309_zps784ee924.jpg
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060319_zpscdd32ef9.jpg
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060323_zps6f0ca1ce.jpg
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060329_zps9a6f9988.jpg
http://http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060325_zpsdbcd3674.jpg
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060188_zps32391919.jpg
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060325_zpsdbcd3674.jpg

ogre
03-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Great post, Zip. We still need to meet up once before open water comes upon us.

briverb
03-25-2013, 02:29 PM
You outfished me. :) Was out on Saturday. Landed one small pike, one white.

Was amazed at how much snow and ice is out there. Thought I was going to need an auger extension.

Heading back out tomorrow.

Zip-in-Z
03-25-2013, 07:54 PM
What a gorgeous day, decided to hit RR#23 again, still looking for some nice fat Whites, got set up in my spot and had a visit from another A/O member, we had a good visit then back to fishin. Had a bunch of small Walleyes hanging around but very few Whites.

Decided to go exploring and tried some of the holes where people were fishin on Sunday, tried 4-5 different spots from 6 - 23 fow, no Whites, went back to my spot at 4:30 & caught another bunch of Walleye's & decided to pack it up at 6:30.

On my way out I stopped to talk to the only other fellow on the ice, he was also packing up, there was blood all over the place, I asked if he was hurt, then he pulled out a bag full of big fat Whites, he got his limit! Gramps was a friendly chap, told me he'll be 75 at the end of the week, said it was his first time out this winter & was looking forward to a fish fry with his Mrs. I really admired him, after our chat I figured out what I was doing wrong .... will make the necessary adjustments and give-her-hell tomorrow!

Highlights today ... snagged a R/W & got my BIC back ....

Zip ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060339_zpsfdce592f.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060342_zps6436d748.jpg

Rob S
03-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Nice catches off the bottom, are Red Devils native to this lake?
Ill stop out with my stick and line tomorrow too, see what aint bitin :-)

Zip-in-Z
03-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Great post, Zip. We still need to meet up once before open water comes upon us.

Tks ... FYI my "Spot-on-Spot" was within steps of where I captured you that day, you should come back this weekend, I'll have the entire area mapped out & fresh holes ready & waiting for you & your crew. Bring the rubber boots & sun screen, forecast says your Easter Bunny will melt-melt-melt!

Zip ...

kinwahkly
03-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Hey i know that old timer Gramps, he showed me the thumper lure they used to catch whites at Sylvan.

Zip-in-Z
03-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Hey i know that old timer Gramps, he showed me the thumper lure they used to catch whites at Sylvan.

Perhaps it was the same fellow .... drove a White truck with cap, think it was a Chev, I remember his auger blade was a shiny chrome, we talked about various lures he said he didn't like Thumpers as they snagged the whitefish, he showed me the wire worms he was using, told me they always produced .... all I could do was smile & agreed! I imagine I'll see him again this week ...

Zip ....

Zip-in-Z
03-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Another blue sky day over Sylvan, back to RR23 to see if Gramp's left any behind, went out 15 paces deeper from where he was & got set-up around noon. Had two other A/O members join me, found the fish spooky today, most likely because I was in 4 fow the guys were a bit deeper they seen more just cruise'n around.

The ice was thicker at this area, 4" snow crust & 30" ice had to use the extension, if your planning on getting out on the weekend, plan accordingly.

Need a change of scenery, going to try Gull tomorrow ....

Zip ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060371_zps7cf0c798.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060373_zps4924a61c.jpg

slingshotz
03-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Hows the access on and off the lake? Thinking of trying one last time this weekend before it closes.

Rob S
03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Hows the access on and off the lake? Thinking of trying one last time this weekend before it closes.

Shouldnt be a problem :sHa_shakeshout:

TJG
03-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Starting to get soft in the afternoons. Run off is going to make it rough.

Z7shooter
03-28-2013, 04:07 PM
still good to drive on?

lakerman
03-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Fished sunbreaker last gew days hardly anyone out dove on everyday walleyes and whites all caught and released mostly saw a beauty jack try to eat a walleye i was pulling up called in some poachers who were keeping burbs and walleye and didn't give a dam when i informed of the regs a co will be visiting

Rob S
03-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Fished sunbreaker last gew days hardly anyone out dove on everyday walleyes and whites all caught and released mostly saw a beauty jack try to eat a walleye i was pulling up called in some poachers who were keeping burbs and walleye and didn't give a dam when i informed of the regs a co will be visiting

Very nicely played, thank you :-)

fish99
03-28-2013, 05:32 PM

they are stealing from the rest of us good job on the report

TJG
03-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Yes its still good to drive on, and be on.

still good to drive on?

Zip-in-Z
03-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Congrats for doin the right thing ... what's the chance the C/O's arrived before you departed ?

Zip ...

Zip-in-Z
03-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Got out to RR23 by 10:30, Gramps was already in his spot, he came over for a chat around 11:00, told me he iced 6 Whites released 1, kept 5 nice one's & was going home for lunch. Seen a number of Whites & couple Pike, but couldn't hook any, guess I never learned anything from Gramps, stayed till 3:00, got blanked! Took the attached pic's at 3:30 on my way home, tomorrow's another day ...

Zip ...

RR23 - Ice Access
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060397-Copy_zpsf44086e8.jpg

http://http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Norglenwold-Rustic Ice Access
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060404_zps08b45ada.jpg

Bring the Rubber Boots

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060400-Copy_zps91760d4f.jpg

briverb
03-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Hmmmm. How was it today? Going out Saturday morning. Looks like the access spot are gonna be slushy and muddy. :-) No sense washing the truck tonight. Haha.

Zip-in-Z
03-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Got out at 8:30 .... seen lots of Whites on the camera in shallow water, looked like some were blowing me kisses as they swam by, including 1 nice walleye, but no Pike, Burb's or Perch ... had very few visitors come into my hole, they just didn't like what was down there. A fellow 50 paces from us in 3 fow ice'd 6 Whites & said he lost a few all by 11:00 am, he told me he made his own worms & showed me his wire worm rig, his where 1/2 the size I was using, he twitched them with his finger, no aggressive fish today. Lots of people were out, we packed up & headed to Sunbreaker, very few people out there, we found what looked like a good spot, seen every species of fish in Sylvan, but very slow, had more action on dead stick, what does that tell you !

We departed at 6:00 ... it was +8, you could almost launch your boat at the lake access area on Sunbreaker. Here's a few pic's are you in the crowd?

Zip ...

RR23
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060405_zpsf8da1b49.jpg
RR23
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060407_zps00262e19.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060410_zps5403729b.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060412_zps40b943e8.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060413_zps693b065c.jpg

bwackwabbit
03-29-2013, 11:30 PM
I think I bruised my ego out there today!...lol.
Haven't seen this guy in a LONG time.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/0F386042-8F6B-4303-A5E4-6B4095C09A11-7865-00000399C070233E.jpg

Gonna hit Gull tomorrow to get my mojo back.

Zip-in-Z
03-29-2013, 11:40 PM
I think I bruised my ego out there today!...lol.
Haven't been skunked in a LONG time.

Gonna hit Gull tomorrow to get my mojo back.

Bwackwabbit .... I see your left headlight, grill & dirty grey bumper in that first pic .... time to wash the car!

It was your dead stick that schooled us .... need to hone those treble hooks for tomorrow!

Jus sayin

Zip ....

bwackwabbit
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Gonna break out the Laser Trokars for the big girls in Gull, I've had enough whitefish torture for one season.

That's not dirt it's CAMO...lol.

Zip-in-Z
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
My list of chores on the Honey-Do-List had a number of "Met" today, & was still able to get back out on RR23, by 4:30. Gramp's was anchored over his spot & had a few nice whites packed on ice, he said try red. Got set up, we were both fishin in less than 5 fow, dropped a red w/w down & smack had one on the ice. Noticed the water was a bit murky in the hole's from the run off. Between 6:00 -7:00 pm we noticed a number of big Whites were roaming our area, had a nice one in the hole & the hook came out, went down almost to my arm pit but couldn't get him. Had another really-really big one swarm my worm but just wouldn't take it. We packed up at 7:30, got 7 between us & were the last to leave, the Lake access wasn't pretty, lots of ruts & standing water, everyone leaving made a new trail would recommend you roll down the window & keep a good pace when you drive on & leave. If you have a small front wheel drive car, take a short walk on the ice for a look see! Tomorrow's Easter dinner with the family, the season has come to an end for me, trust some of the info/pic's provided in my updates was beneficial.

Zip-in-Z