PDA

View Full Version : Camp Wainwright Hunt 12/12/12

deerslayer
12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Got drawn for the last deer hunt at CW, 13,14,15. Never hunted CW before, should be amusing. I drove out to the inlaws, who live outside of Killam, that puts me with-in an hour of the base. Deer are moving hard tonight , seen 9 crossing the highway between Daysland and Strome.Stopped for gas, picked up some bacon puffs, cracker jacks and a root beer, lunch for tomorrow. Now the question at hand, packed two rifles, first is a Rem CDL SF 257 Roberts, second is a Winchester extreme weather in 270 wsm. Both are good shooters. The wsm is more suited for longer shots, the bob is nice to carry. What is typical for deer at CW, long shots, running shots, do the deer stand for a while or are they spooked easily?

bowtech3006
12-13-2012, 05:03 AM
At this point I'd say the deer spook easy. There's been allot of pressure there in a short period. Mostly truck hunting, so if you plan on bailing & hail I would say there gonna be running:scared0018:

High_N_Wide
12-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Just got back from the 10, 11 and 12th hunt. Walk an walk some more. Almost nobody was leaving their vehicles. We walked many miles everyday and infact didn't leave about a 2 square mile area, but seen many deer. one evening I sat over about 25 to 30 feeding before last light, unfortunately nothing I deemed worthy or close enough. We managed 2 bucks, one fo which was about 150" whitetail. In total probably seen 50 deer or so. Seen 4 dandies, one which we shot, one other was just off the base, both others were on the move. I had seen deer over ridges over a mile away to ahve them start running as soon as you are in sight. Very skittish.

Good luck.

deerslayer
12-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Whats with all the snow! Seen lots of deer on areas which are closed, passed on a small mulie buck and some does. No deer seen after 10 am. Moose, the moose are like rats, they are every where. Most of the hunters are on the roads, tough walking in knee deep snow. Noticed that no kills marked in bow zone, anyone try the bow zone this year?

deerslayer
12-15-2012, 11:15 AM
CW is an interesting area to hunt, but I come away empty handed, partly by choice, partly because of ruined opportunities.

Question: Your driving down a trail and spot a hunter sneaking along, do you:
a) drive up quickly to see what he is after
b) stop and maybe use binos to watch the show
c) turn around or back up
At one time I had 4 trucks stopped around me because I had my spotting scope out the window, I was looking at a big porcupine, I like porcupines.
For the last hunt I think they should have reduced the number of hunters, the quotas they set out were reached or very close to what they wanted by the 4th hunt any way.
Too many hunters brings out the " rat syndrome" in people.
I will go again, met some good guys, who got a cow moose, next time will be for the earlier season.

Merry Christmas

7mmHunter1921
12-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Well I'm Having tag soup too, I had 2 trucks stop to talk to me because I was looking at some mule deer a km away with my spotting scope, tons of moose next year Ill have a high enough priority that ill get drawn hopefully, there was 2 guys that got 5 deer from driving the trails, a couple does and one nice 4x4 whitetail, heard over 10 shots in less than an hour over on the far west side of the base close to the river but an overall good hunt I had but Just like you said the earlier season is the way to go.

johnnyringo
12-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Question: Your driving down a trail and spot a hunter sneaking along, do you:
Funny you ask...I parked my truck off a main trail (easy to see) and was walking to the edge of a coulee, when buddy in his brown Chev drives right by me to beat me to the edge. I'm dressed in all orange so he didn't miss me. Man was I ****ed:angry3:

some guys are just slob hunters!:mad3:

roger
12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
I had the same draw...decided to go hospital and have hernia repair and a nut yanked instead. Sounds like i didnt miss anything.
Right now iwould just love to be able to walk.