PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Flasher Advice and Suggestions

CamoDerrick
12-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am looking into getting a flasher for ice fishing this season. I think I have now read every thread on this site about flashers. It’s amazing how the same thread of Marcum vs Humminbird vs Vexilar is created every year.

I am on a limited budget so simply purchasing a new Marcum LX7 simply isn’t an option. Ideally what I would like is a Marcum LX5 but even those are too pricey for me. I know that there are two used ones in the buy/sell section right now (approx. $400), but still out of my range.

So the question that I have is if anyone has an older model flasher they would be willing to sell me for a decent price. Preferably looking for a LX3 (pricing wise, yet still a quality flasher). Normally I fish shallower than 25’ and I like the variable optical zoom feature of the marcums. I am not picky on brand though. They all have different advantages, and I don’t have to worry about interference with other flashers either. Therefore I am open to pretty much any type that you guys may suggest (Humminbird, Vexilar, Lowrance, Showdowns, etc).

I debated whether or not to put this thread in the buy/sell section as a “WTB,” but I would like input from members on here, and Alberta BigBore would be all over me for making it into a discussion thread!

Thanks for any advice or input you gentlemen may have, feel free to post or PM.

(Located in Edmonton)

CamoDerrick

Mike_W
12-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Ill bite...

I have no experience with a vexilar but do with a Marcum and Hummin bird.

Marcum all the way!! Bright clear target separation, easy operation, nice compact design and cary case combined with 10-level interference rejection is sweet!!

I have a LX3tc and I really like it from fishing lake trout in 120 FOW to perch in 5 it works great! Sure the adjustable beam on the LX5 is nice and probably increases fish seen at 5 ft and decreases fish seen at 120 ft but thats just minor.
I really love my flasher and will never fish blind again!!!

You might be able to find a showdown at a decent price.

Marcum all the way!!!

greywolffan
12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Humminbird ice 55 to me is the way to go. Just bought a second one . Never an issue and it even worked great at cold lake. We fished at 140 feet or so and no problem seeing the lures. Love the Hummer:bad_boys_20:

HunterDave
12-13-2012, 11:18 AM
I just bought a handheld Marcum Showdown Troller from TFH on sale for $180. It ain't fancy but it does the job at a relatively cheap price. I bought is specifically for fishing lakes like Cold Lake. I like that it's small and easy to carry.

CamoDerrick
12-13-2012, 11:21 AM
If I had a choice, I think a used Marcum LX3tc would be the best practical fit for my uses and price range. They seem like pretty slick units. It is just difficult to find units that people are willing to part with.

People need to upgrade and get LX7's, then throw their old units on the buy/sell section :)

Humminbird ice 55 to me is the way to go. Just bought a second one . Never an issue and it even worked great at cold lake. We fished at 140 feet or so and no problem seeing the lures. Love the Hummer:bad_boys_20:

Is there any reason you chose Humminbird over the other brands? I have heard a lot of good reports about the ice 55 as well. Do you have any experience with they lower Humminbird models?

I wouldn't be fishing in that depth so any flasher I get doesn't necessarily need to have the power to reach that far.

CamoDerrick
12-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I just bought a handheld Marcum Showdown Troller from TFH on sale for $180. It ain't fancy but it does the job at a relatively cheap price. I bought is specifically for fishing lakes like Cold Lake. I like that it's small and easy to carry.

I saw this deal as well.

I am worried about the battery structure of the Troller though. It uses 6AA batteries if I'm not mistaken. The specs state that it will last 20 hours on a set of batteries. I just don't want to have to replace the batteries after every trip out.

I do a lot of hole jumping when I fish. I'm worried about having one hand on rod, and one hand on flasher. Do you just toss it in the snow when a fish bites? Or did you buy the case for it?

Kim473
12-13-2012, 12:21 PM
love my bird 45

honker_clonker
12-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Save your empties, don't buy a few cases of beer/packs of smokes/chew/ take it easy at the bar etc etc and treat yourself. I've had my FL 20 for 6 years and its still going strong. Just need to change the battery finally. I've caught more fish and learned more fishing with the flasher than without. I would rather forget my tent than my flasher thats for sure.

HunterDave
12-13-2012, 01:48 PM
I saw this deal as well.

I am worried about the battery structure of the Troller though. It uses 6AA batteries if I'm not mistaken. The specs state that it will last 20 hours on a set of batteries. I just don't want to have to replace the batteries after every trip out.

I do a lot of hole jumping when I fish. I'm worried about having one hand on rod, and one hand on flasher. Do you just toss it in the snow when a fish bites? Or did you buy the case for it?

I use rechargeable AA batteries and recharge them as required. The same batteries that will be used for my trail cam (summer), Foxpro and sonar (winter). The initial cost is more but it pays for itself over time.

I don't think that I'll buy the case. It's small enough to fit nicely in my pocket or on a landyard around my neck when I'm just checking holes which I prefer over lugging something around. I'm pretty sure that I can rig something up when I'm fishing a hole.......maybe a modified rod holder? I wouldn't put it in the snow though.

Mike_W
12-13-2012, 02:39 PM
love my bird 45

Thats great if it is working for you.
Like mentioned I have a LX3 tc and after my dad seen mine he went and bought a 45 and had nothing but issues .....way more noise and much less bright than the Marcum .....after a few trips he returned it and is now happy with a LX5!!

CamoDerrick
12-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Thats great if it is working for you.
Like mentioned I have a LX3 tc and after my dad seen mine he went and bought a 45 and had nothing but issues .....way more noise and much less bright than the Marcum .....after a few trips he returned it and is now happy with a LX5!!

I've done some research on the Humminbird ice-45 as well, and it seems to be a hit or miss. There was one review I read that the guy returned 3 or 4 before he went with Marcum. There are others though that love 'em.

They seem like a good product as well. They have the background light-up display that I guess would be beneficial near sunrise/sunset.

I guess I should have started smoking when I was younger so I could quit now and use that money for a flasher.

I'm just hoping someone someone has one up in the attic/top shelf of garage they don't use anymore since they upgraded.

mooseman1
12-13-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm currently using a lx5 but I'd be willing to upgrade to a lx7 anyday but I'm happy with the lx5

JSMPP
12-13-2012, 06:19 PM
I love my lx5, I've used my friends lx7 and prefer mine, maybe just because I'm used to it. You won't be disappointed with any marcum, I've had mine for 3 years and can honestly say its the best 500 bucks I have ever spent. It will change your fishing life

CamoDerrick
12-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm currently using a lx5 but I'd be willing to upgrade to a lx7 anyday but I'm happy with the lx5

I think you should upgrade now. Why wait?
And then PM me about your lx5 :) :)

frozen nuts
12-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Having never used a flasher I am just wondering what the advantages are flasher VS camera. For that matter what about using the fish finder from the boat?

fishin_guy
12-17-2012, 10:59 AM
I live now in Manitoba and am hooked on ice fishing. I have seen all flashers on Lake Winnipeg fishing for Walleye. I did extensive research and found the ICE35 was the best bang for my budget. Also for repair work it was only a 2hr drive to get it fixed if needed vs shipping to the states. All I have had done is the cable connection was coming loose all the time. The noise sometimes happens but all I do is tighten the tilt knobs or put a glove under it to absorb noise. (Which is rare) In the next couple years I will be upgrading to a LX-7 due to the display and extra little options. I fish almost every weekend and will not fish without a flasher anymore. They are great to see what is under the ice even before drilling a hole. Frozen nuts....I have used my portable fish finder and it sucks. Yea it will tell you a fish passes by but with a flasher it is real time and when you get to know how the flasher works and what to look for they are an amazing piece of technology. Much better than guessing or staring down a hole. It is awesome to mark fish and watch them come up to your hook.(Even though they are just a colored line on a circle. A camera is only good for clear water. We have a lot of murkey water so the visibility is very limited.

fish gunner
12-17-2012, 11:09 AM
For the $ the hummin bird 500 series portable sounder do double duty with the rts (real time scan) mode. This gives a show down style flasher section on the display with a normal sounder display as well. For 350$ they are hard to beat at the price point and it gets used on the boat for openwater season. Hope that helps. :)

frozen nuts
12-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks FG that makes sense. Had issues with cloudy water and camera here in AB too. No need to waste my time setting up the fish finder by the sounds of it.

Willowtrail
12-17-2012, 12:01 PM
I saw this deal as well.

I use rechargeable AA batteries and recharge them as required. The same batteries that will be used for my trail cam (summer), Foxpro and sonar (winter). The initial cost is more but it pays for itself over time.

I don't think that I'll buy the case. It's small enough to fit nicely in my pocket or on a landyard around my neck when I'm just checking holes which I prefer over lugging something around. I'm pretty sure that I can rig something up when I'm fishing a hole.......maybe a modified rod holder? I wouldn't put it in the snow though.

I have the unit and love it. I do run the case though. It's worth the extra bucks. The unit unplugs from the case super easy if you want to run and gun. If you set up for the day it's great, even has an arm and a stop for the transducer.

Vigsy just borrowed it and wants to buy it when I upgrade to the LX-7 in January.

HunterDave, just remember at cold lake its only good to 120'

If you have any questions about it shoot me a pm

kinwahkly
12-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Ive had the Hummningbird ice 55 for the past 3 seasons and its worked very well for me, really helps to see where the fish are in the water coloumn. Also works for changing up youre jigs or presentation as you can see the fish cooming up to look at the bait .

CamoDerrick
12-17-2012, 07:23 PM
I live now in Manitoba and am hooked on ice fishing. I have seen all flashers on Lake Winnipeg fishing for Walleye. I did extensive research and found the ICE35 was the best bang for my budget.

I have really looked into detail for the ice-35. I think I would rather have this than the Showdown (Dual Beam). From my research, the 35 runs for as cheap as $300.

The other option is the Showdown troller which is much cheaper. I feel that the extras that the ice-35 has may be worth the extra money hit.

We have a lot of murkey water so the visibility is very limited.

This is what makes using a camera so frustrating. Time to graduate to a flasher :)

CamoDerrick
12-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Willowtrail, you've got mail :)

Thanks.

JSMPP
12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Lx5 in the buy/sell, for 375 bucks You almost have to buy it :)

75ft Arborist
12-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Marcum LX5 love it, worth every penny, catches me more fish every time i use it. And its entertaining.

Mudslide
12-17-2012, 11:21 PM
An LX-5 for $375. is a steal. I won't sell mine for that.

CamoDerrick
12-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Lx5 in the buy/sell, for 375 bucks You almost have to buy it :)

Marcum LX5 love it, worth every penny, catches me more fish every time i use it. And its entertaining.

An LX-5 for $375. is a steal. I won't sell mine for that.

I have been speaking with the owner of the flasher you gentlemen are referring too.
Thank you for posts.

I wish flashers were cheaper :sHa_shakeshout:

CamoDerrick
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
UPDATE:

Thanks again to everyone for their advice. I ended up purchasing a Marcum lx5 used from a member on the board. Spent a little more for a better quality unit :) .

Took it out for the first time this past Saturday to test it out. Worked great, everything I expected.

Caught over 100 fish (at one of those lakes with a million stunted perch), including a bunch of trout. Only kept one trout for a little fry up. Here is a pic of the 14incher:
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s425/CamoDerrick/VegTroutPond-Jan5-14inchbow_zps21e0b69a.jpg